Prairie CC 36 re-paint and update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lollipop

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kia Mae
Vessel Make
1979 Prairie CC 36
We are just starting a major repaint and update of our Prairie 36. I am looking to keep it as original as possible as it is Hull #001. At the cost of sounding completely stupid because I have racked my brain all morning and can't recall the name of them, The small teak boards on both sides of the outer hull at the aft need some attention. I was thinking of molding them and making them out of solid fiberglass. My wife ask me what if you just leave them off. I am looking for advise and of course, " What do you call them" so I don't go nuts trying to think of the name.

We are just starting a major repaint and update of our Prairie 36. I am looking to keep it as original as possible as it is Hull #001. At the cost of sounding completely stupid because I have racked my brain all morning and can't recall the name of them, The small teak boards on both sides of the outer hull at the aft need some attention. I was thinking of molding them and making them out of solid fiberglass. My wife ask me what if you just leave them off. I am looking for advise and of course, " What do you call them" so I don't go nuts trying to think of the name.

Can you post some pictures that may help

Pic would help.

Ted

Still trying to figure this site out...but I will try to get some pics up

Like others have said a pic would clarify it, but in many cases that is a rub rail, some hulls bow out a bit and the upper rub rail would not touch the pole before the hull hits.

Yes, I was thinking mine will need to be refinished some day too. I asskumed they were called spray strakes, just like they'd be on the forward part of the hull, but I guess I never asked.

4339-albums82-picture1843.jpg

Rub rails. With stainless rub strakes added for longevity. I would put them back on. They take a LOT of abuse that comes onto docking. When you roll the boat at the dock that area does come into contact with the dock. As function goes, they don't really do any spray reducing.

I wouldn't make them out of FG. They act as a 'sacrificial part', so they are a replaceable item. (Much cheaper than the topsides) The wood acts as a disposable dampener or to spread out the force of impacts. Notice they only run from the aft bulkhead to the stern? They protect that last 7' or so of flat side.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info...I still believe there is a name for them...Just can't call it... I have not yet figured out how to add a photo into your message on here, but I will keep trying or get my 10 year old Niece to help me.

Spray rail if close to the waterline, rub rail when higher. Both can take a beating at the dock. Spray rail helps to nock down the water when on plane. More important with a beam sea as spray tends to curl back into the boat.

These are on a 36' trawler with twin 4 cyl. Perkins. I don't think I will have to worry about spray while on Plane. I think the term I'm looking for is chime rails, chime boards, or just chimes. I will do some more research.

Back
Top Bottom