View Single Post
Old 01-29-2015, 01:11 AM   #65
twistedtree
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
You can use your existing MMSI in Canada. I used my Australian MMSI in both USA and Canada.
Wikipedia article isn't great but it should clarify a few things for you.
Maritime Mobile Service Identity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's a little different here. BoatUS issues MMSI numbers for free, but they are meant for use only in US waters, and the boat owner contact info does not get placed in the international database that is used world wide. I believe this is unique to the US, and was meant to streamline the process for getting an MMSI to encourage people to use DSC and AIS. It also goes hand in hand with not requiring a Ships Station license or Operator license for use in US waters.

If you get in trouble with your BoatUS MMSI, your distress call won't be ignored. But the people responding won't know what kind of boat they are looking for, won't know your name and contact info, and won't know your emergency contacts. That puts you and them at a disadvantage.

If you can find a servicing dealer for your VHF, then can reset the MMSI. It doesn't have to be shipped back to the mfg. I had mine done locally here in Seattle and had the radio back within 48hrs.

For an AIS, it's actually pretty easy to change the MMSI. There is a program called ProAIS that every AIS device I've encountered so far uses to program it. You connect the 0183 interface to a serial port on your computer, or on some you just use a USB cable. The AIS can be configured from there. I think all the AISs that I've bought came with it on a CD.