Portland survey Californian 42

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deanooo

Veteran Member
Hi folks.
I posted this in the general discussion thread but wanted to post it here too. I'm hoping to be Californian owner one day. I love these yachts.
I just got back from a sea trial for a 1981 Californian 42 LRC in which I have under contract. The sea trial went great and the 3208 Cats purred. She's in decent shape and pretty clean over all for her age. Dated with a few battle scars but the interior shows no signs of leakage . The engine room is very clean and the generator runs smooth with no big concerns visually. The navigational equipment is minimal and will have to be update eventually. It doesn't have an inverter and the electrical by all appearances are original. No rancor filters. all in all, I love this boat. The biggest mystery is the condition of the hall. I have a list of surveyors but they were presented to me by the selling broker. Does anyone here have experience with any surveyors from the Portland area? Any other comments or suggestions will be appreciated. This is my first Trawler experience. I want to slowly upgrade the systems and interior.
Thanks from Victoria BC

Deanooo, I'm sorry, I don't know of any surveyors in the Portland area.

The hulls are very strong, solid glass and unless it has been run aground or otherwise abused, I would be surprised if there are any issues with it. Californians are not known as blister or dry rot boats. The few I've heard of that did have a few blisters were from the warm water states. I've owned mine since it was new, '76 model, and never a blister.

If you buy the boat, hope to see you on the forum. :thumb:

Best Luck
Larry B

Thanks Larry B
I've been on the Californian thread, stalking. I will report my experience when all is done. I've read good things about the boat (hull and engines)and hope all turns out in my favour. I have learned some good info here and hope to contribute one day. But for now I'll be trying to drag as much knowledge out of this forum.

Deanooo

Oh one other thing. . . If you didn't already see it while reviewing some of the other topics, The aft cabin windows in the LRC are the only weak point in the boat. The old wood frame windows were 9 feet long and with the vibration of the twin diesels, you couldn't hardly keep them sealed and eventually they will leak.

So if this boat hasn't already had them replaced with aluminum or fiberglass framed windows, keep a thousand dollars in the bank to replace them. The company that can do them right and has the templates is right across the river from Portland in Vancouver, Wa. Peninsula Glass. If you need it, I have the phone number.
LB

Oh one other thing. . . If you didn't already see it while reviewing some of the other topics, The aft cabin windows in the LRC are the only weak point in the boat. The old wood frame windows were 9 feet long and with the vibration of the twin diesels, you couldn't hardly keep them sealed and eventually they will leak.

So if this boat hasn't already had them replaced with aluminum or fiberglass framed windows, keep a thousand dollars in the bank to replace them. The company that can do them right and has the templates is right across the river from Portland in Vancouver, Wa. Peninsula Glass. If you need it, I have the phone number.
LB

I would love to get the #. The boat is right on the island under the bridge there. Hyden island or Tomahawk island. I would like to get some things done prior to heading north in April.
Thank you.

I've got two lights in the Roughwater that need replacement and I've been looking at the box store replacements. Would much rather keep things as original as possible. Thanks for the info Edleweiss.

For Surveyors in the Portland area... depends on what kind of survey you want...

If you are looking for someone who will give you EVERY possible detail that needs attention then contact Alison Mazon or Pat Devlin 503-286-4252

If you want someone who will give you a fairly decent overview in a short time period. (maybe not a full engine mechanical check though) Richard Murray 503-490-0591

I have used both Richard and Pat --- Pat did the survey on my 30 sailboat and took all day --9hours plus! ... Richard did my Californian 42 and took 5 hours. Pat seems to have a little more attention to detail... Alison has a reputation for EXTREME attention to detail but I have never used her personally...

but all of them are accredited...

oh, and I guess that was you I waved to from my Californian on Sunday :)

By the way, Schooner Creek does a good job hauling. They just got practice on mine this last week for a bottom paint :)

For Surveyors in the Portland area... depends on what kind of survey you want...

If you are looking for someone who will give you EVERY possible detail that needs attention then contact Alison Mazon or Pat Devlin 503-286-4252

If you want someone who will give you a fairly decent overview in a short time period. (maybe not a full engine mechanical check though) Richard Murray 503-490-0591

I have used both Richard and Pat --- Pat did the survey on my 30 sailboat and took all day --9hours plus! ... Richard did my Californian 42 and took 5 hours. Pat seems to have a little more attention to detail... Alison has a reputation for EXTREME attention to detail but I have never used her personally...

Small world. Yes it was me. How'd I look. Lol. Thanks for the info. The broker gave me Richard Murrays # . I've had great response to my questions. And many of you are on the same page. I'll be down in a couple weeks if all goes well. Maybe you can give me tour of your boat and share some tips in exchange of some beer.

you are more than welcome to stop by.. .PM me a couple days in advance

You are both entirely welcome!! :thumb:

Deanooo - If the boat you're looking at is an '81 or later, it probably already has laminate window frames. They went away from wood frames at around that time. If there is any leakage, the discoloration will be obvious against the mahogany wood interior. Be sure and move the curtains aside to examine the lower corners. Fuel tanks are below the aft double beds, they will lift right out, very easy to remove to clean or replace if necessary.

Great news about the tanks. They were a concern of mine. I talked with Alison today and she was checking your thread for info. She thought this boat may a been built in Taiwan. She tried to find it on the coast guard site to verify the builder first. Thank you so much for the info so far. The windows are wood framed though. I looked closely for leakage but could not see anything drastic.

Last edited:
Deanooo
Did you see this article from the Trawler Forum archives?

17 years after its departure, Californians 42 LRC remains a hit

By: BoatingWorld Staff
March, 2001

* *At a recent Trawler Fest in Poulsbo, Washington, boaters from across the nation gathered to discuss the ins and outs of long-range cruising. Several of the latest trawler yachts were displayed at this rendezvous, but many participants couldnt stop talking about a favorite older boat: the Californian 42 LRC.

The LRC stands for long-range cruiser, and this is one boat that is worthy of its name. It could also be called a long-revered cruiser, because it has continued to garner loyal fans since its nine-year production run ended 17 years ago. With more trawler yachts being built today than at any other time in memory, it is somewhat surprising that so many long-distance cruising enthusiasts are snapping up Californians on the used boat market and restoring the boats to like-new condition. Perhaps they know something.

The Names the Same The Californian name has been used by several different companies over the years, but one man has been associated with the boats since their inception: yacht designer Jule Marshall. Marshall founded the original Californian Yachts back in the 1970s. He designed the Californian lines hulls, while Myrna Elliott designed the boats interiors. One of the companys first success stories was the 42 LRC, introduced in 1976. At a time when trawler yachts built in the Far East dominated the American market, Marshall and Elliott built their 42 foot trawler in Orange County, California. From a quality standpoint, the 42 LRC was a standout and a strong competitor for similar-size boats from such industry heavyweights as Grand Banks and CHB. Unlike the Asian trawlers, the Californian 42 LRC interior was crafted of mahogany, not teak. In addition, the 42 LRC was faster than other trawlers of the 1970s. The Californian 42s engines (twin 185 hp Perkins diesels in the first boats; twin 210 hp Caterpillar diesels in later versions) were reliable and remarkably fuel efficient. The earliest models offered fuel economy of about 1 mpg and a cruising speed of around 12 knots. The twin Caterpillars boosted cruising speed to around 14 knots, while maintaining similar fuel economy. Along with offering a bit more speed than the competition, the Californian 42 LRC offered well-thought-out practicality. Wide walk-around sidedecks, a convenient two-stateroom layout and expertly installed plumbing and electrical systems won many fans. All those features added up to impressive sales figures for Californian, which at the time was a relatively small builder. Bigger companies took notice.

In 1980, Californian was sold to Wellcraft Marine. Marshall continued to build the Californian 42 LRC for Wellcraft dealers until 1984. That year, he bought the Californian name back. In 1986, Marshall sold the company once more -- to Carver Yachts. Carver continued to build Californians although not the 42 LRC until it retired the name in 1991. At that time, Marshall had already founded another company, Navigator Yachts, to build a line of raised pilothouse motoryachts. When the Californian name became available again, Marshall jumped at the opportunity to launch yet another generation of Californian yachts.

In 1998, Marshall introduced the first of the new line, a Californian 39 SL raised pilothouse motoryacht. The boat offered timeless styling and all the comfortable cruising amenities boaters had come to expect from the Californian name. Todays Californian yachts are built in a new facility adjacent to Navigator Yachts in Perris, California, where both lines are built separately. Since the introduction of the 39 SL, the company has added other models to the line -- and the Californian name has again become well established in the West. Features and Quirks

One of the 42 LRCs best features is its semi-displacement hull. With a prominent bow and a long keel, the boat tracks solidly. The hulls hard chines decrease its potential for roll, and its flattened aft section provides added lift for higher speeds. The boats under-14-foot beam and its wide sidedecks make for a compact saloon, but it is comfortably arranged. Thanks to abundant windows and a practical layout, it does not seem at all cramped. A galley area is located along one side of the saloon, opposite an L-shaped convertible settee. The saloon also offers a lower helm station, although most skippers will prefer the flybridge helm. The boats master stateroom is a huge, full-width aft cabin that originally came equipped with two side-by-side double berths in a layout reminiscent of a 1970s motel room.

Todays owners often opt for a remodel, since theres ample room for a queen-size island berth or even a king. The stateroom also offers a hanging locker, a vanity and an en suite head with either a stall shower or a tub. Forward, the second stateroom comes with bunk-bed-style single berths, instead of the usual V-berth. That makes room for an en suite head with a stall shower, but it is admittedly better for kids and fishing buddies than it is for couples. With a bit of remodeling including replacement of dated interior fabrics and carpet, and renewal of aging exterior brightwork a Californian 42 LRC can be an excellent cruising boat for a couple.

Typical used 42s are priced at between $99,500 and $160,000, so even after a small investment in renovation, this well-built trawler yacht can be remarkably affordable.ing Magazine article:

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Wednesday 24th of August 2011 10:27:29 AM

I like that I'm hearing so many positives. I haven't gone in completely blind but I feel that I have. I knew it was the boat I wanted the day I stepped aboard one in San Diego in December. I had never been on one nor had I sailled one. I had been on other trawlers and loved them and at first I wasn't sure I like the style. The layout and the helm stations position sold me. I feel on top the bow with a great line of site all around. The sea trial locked it in. There is still the fear of finding a serious defect though. I will stay positive and drive on.

There is still the fear of finding a serious defect though. I will stay positive and drive on.

:rofl: There is ALWAYS that fear.. even long after you have bought, sailed, lived on and worked on them!!!!

Lol. I know. Fear and Loathing in Victoria. I'll shake it off.

But look at the bright side Deanooo . . . .You live in the "Jewel" of B. C. What a beautiful city!! :thumb:

If "worst comes to worst", you can bring her around in front of the Empress, tie up to the public pier, pour a tall drink, and watch the tourists promenade!! How is that for a stress reliever? :hide:

Awww now your talkin. I'm thinking I'll need a drink after that run. And what a perfect place to stop. Thanks Edelwiess

Deanooo, I can totally relate to your sentiments concerning the Californians. You will love the boat! Members here have a wealth of knowledge that is a great resource for us newer owners.
BTW I just spoke with Peninsula Glass concerning aft cabin windows that are on the agenda this spring. They typically have an 8 week lead time. I plan to remove the windows and template my openings while the rail and stantions are off for cap rail work. Look forward to following your progress.

Just a thought, some years ago when boat shopping I found several Tolly 44s in the Portland area that were boathouse kept and prettY nice. A Tolly 44 that has 3208s or had a new set of Cummins 5.9s installed worth a look IMHO.

Awww now your talkin. I'm thinking I'll need a drink after that run. And what a perfect place to stop. Thanks Edelwiess
You are really lucky living there, I really enjoyed our many trips to Victoria and that whole scene. :flowers: Where else in the PNW can you tie up right downtown in front of an icon like that, adjacent to the provincial Parliament and so much history? What a great place to have a boat!! I don't envy having to use the ferries to get to the mainland though!! Maple Bay is nice too, a little less touristy with good access to downtown.

PS: If you can get the windows done while you're there, that will save you some time and money. They charged me to build the wood shipping container, like $60 US, and shipping was several hundred dollars to Anacortes by truck. They won't go UPS!!

Last edited:
Well, I got the initial engine survey back and it ain't pretty. Without going into too much detail looks like 10-20000 work. If anyone is interested in seeing the survey I would gladly PM it to you. Interesting but seriously disappointing. I will hang my head for a day and continue the hunt.
Sunchaser. I was very close to completing a deal on a Tolley but backed out. Beautiful shape but not the boat for me. It had gas engines that were in great shape but I have my mind on a trawler.
For those who are in the portland area. I just want to give a tip of my hat to Dale Price. He was at the boat within a 24 hrs and was very helpful with an initial comprehensive report the next day. I also had a gentleman by the name of Dave Hoss who gave me an very resonable estimate on canvas within 24 hours of calling him. Superior Tops. I cannot speak about the quality of his work but he did come recommended and he was professional and friendly. I never got a chance to use Alison but did have a lengthy conversion with her. She was everything you all claimed her to be. If anyone wants to know my opinion on other players, I will do that in a PM. Or if you want to know the specific boat. But I'm sure you all can figure that out by now.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and your advice.

Last edited:
That's a shame!! And the seller is not willing to negotiate the repairs?

That's a shame!! And the seller is not willing to negotiate the repairs?

Haven't got to that yet. We will see. The seller will have to eventually do the repairs or he will be eating it. I'm not sure if there is enough equity in the boat to do it. My estimate on cost is exactly that..... Could be more. It can be fixed.
Rough start considering I haven't had a survey on the rest of the vessel. That's what was keeping me up at night. And the oil samples haven't come back yet. Yikes.

Last edited:
No more fear. Just loathing. Shake it off damn it. In a pub Californian Dreaming.

Best surveying the likely weaker side first, be it mechanical or general, you have the option to cancel the other part before incurring the cost.
Don`t be too disappointed, you`ll kiss some toads before you find a Princess. Good luck.

Sorry to hear about the boat Deanooo, That boat is in row 1, I'm on row 2. Did you have Dale Price do the survey?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom