Website or blog template suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
"Dragon Lady"
Vessel Make
DeFever 41
Having done various projects/repars on my boat, I have decided to make my experiences/mistakes available to anyone thinking of treading the same path, or just plain curious. Something similar to Fryedaze' website Fryedaze - Fryedaze would be ideal. Unfortunately I am not a Comcast subscriber, and our local ISP doesn't offer this service. Any suggestions of something user-friendly and free would be much appreciated.

BTW, I do not understand the difference between a website and a blog, so please don't let the thread title suggests otherwise!

Building a Free Boat / Boater Website

Any suggestions of something user-friendly and free would be much appreciated.

Mike

I have seen a few great boater sites and agree they are a valuable resource... thinking about doing the same myself!

One of many free webhosts is Google Sites... here are a few links that might give you an idea what they can do.
I have used Google Sites to develop a site for an organization trying to save our marina... you can find / view it at Friends of Sampson Marina.
I am not saying this is the best available - only one of many, but one I'm familiar with. Some +/-
+ Many-many existing templates available - you can start w/ an existing & modify it
+ Relatively easy to use if you have some computer savy
+ Easy to add to / modify as you go along
- No template will be exactly what you want
- URL address will be complex compared to fee based names
- Does take some computer familiarity and can be frustrating at times

Good Luck - let us know how it goes

Wikipedia - What is it and what does it do

Google Sites Review

A video tutorial on how to get started
Google Sites Tutorial

Last edited:
Mike,

I have been using Google Blogger for the past couple of years and am quite happy with it. It was very easy to set up and has a ton of features that I'm just beginning to use. You can check ours out at,Chasing 80

I look at a bunch of boater blogs and this seems to be a very popular site to use. I'm not sure if there is a data limit with the free service or not but I have seen many that have been up for several years with many posts and pictures. I take it this is what you're looking to do.

One issue I heard from a friend came from his RV blog and a trip to Canada. When he tried to post from there he had to change from a .com to .ca, not sure how this would affect you in your location. He is even less tech savvy than I am so this could have been user error!

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

Trying to set up something simple and easy myself to record and share an upcoming trip. My daughter, who makes her living from website design, suggested the usual website hosts and blog programs, but she also suggested Facebook Groups as being very easy. Going to look at it more closely.

Google makes you use the country suffix. So if in Canada it's .Ca in the US it's. Com
You have no choice in this. If your in a different country and try to use your home country it will automatically default to where your IP says you are.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

Back
Top Bottom