View Single Post
Old 01-24-2015, 03:45 PM   #5
Xsbank
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
If it's a CHB 34, you will also find the side walls and maybe even the windows will be rotten too. If there is a mildew smell inside, or any discoloured panelling inside, if you can see mold when you lay on the berth and look up under the side-decks, you have a typical CHB issue that will cost you dozens and dozens of boat dollars. You will not be able to use your new boat for at least a year. The mold and mildew are serious health hazards. If the boat has an ozone generator on board, run away! Make darn sure you get some other opinions or you will regret your lovely (they are lovely) first trawler. Strip off the deck, strip off the fiberglas, take out the rotten core, rebuild the core, put new Fiberglas on the deck (thick, because there is no teak any more) and a nice finish coat of something. Same for the side walls, the flying bridge, the top of the rear cabin...

Sorry to be such a poop. I have seen at least 10 CHBs when I was trawler-shopping and they all had rot that started in the decks. The builders filled the deck spaces and sidewalks with old packing crates and any other junk they could find and many of the holes for screws were not filled, just bunged, as the underpaid workers swiped the bronze screws and sold them in the market.

I am in Vancouver and if you would like me to take a look I am willing to check it out for you. I've had a pretty good lol at them.