View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #8
Diesel Duck

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Ni Hao from someone who recently traveled to China (Hong Kong, Zuhuai, Doumen and surrounding area). While there I was fortunate enough to be invited to the Nansha Marina for an in the water boat show (Nansha is not far from Zuhuai). Yacht CN 2014 Although there were not a huge number of boats in attendance, maybe 75 or so, there were certainly enough of a variety to make it interesting.

What I learned about recreational boating in China is that moving your boat within Chinese waters, even short distances, requires lots of permissions and paperwork, $$$, etc, which, as you can imagine, is a big hassle and that's why boating, other than commercial fishing and barges etc, is not that popular.

That said, China is changing rapidly in this area and there are many who are petitioning the authorities to make boating/yachting more user friendly etc. I think it's only a matter of time when the restrictions for movement will ease and China will then grow it's local recreational boating scene.

You might want to give a shout out to Bill Kimley at Seahorse Marine and talk to him about recreational boating in China. He is heavily connected and well known in the boating world there in China. You can also talk with him about his DD's, Coots and or his SHM fiberglass 52's.

Additional info. : Zhuhai becomes yachting centre in China | Macauhub English