View Single Post
Old 01-18-2015, 09:45 PM   #17
O C Diver
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
My plan (you would be foolish to follow it without doing your due diligence):

I use Active Captain. Everything I'm listing below can be found on Active Captain.

Day 1: Get to Norfolk. Stop at Top Rack Mile marker 9 +/- and top off fuel and water. Likely the cheapest fuel on the trip. This may not be attainable in one day from Solomons, MD. My plan was to leave Chrisfield at Sundown the night before and take a leisurely cruise down the bay and get to Norfolk early afternoon. Adjust your plan according to your comfort level. After fueling back track to the Great Dismal Swamp Canal MM 8 +/-. Anchor for the night at "Deep Creek Basin" MM 9 +/-. I choose the Dismal Swamp Canal as it's protected all the way to Elizabeth City, 2 draw bridges, and 2 locks. You can do day 2 in all but a hurricane it's so protected. The Albemarle and Chesapeake canal is fine but there are several draw bridges and more open water Sounds to navigate if the weather is bad.

Day 2: Need to be at the Deep Creek Lock MM 12+/- by 8:00am for the 8:30 lock through. The Lock operator will lock you through the lock and then open then open the Deep Creek Bridge for you. Follow his directions, channel 13 vhf. Call him as soon as you arrive so that he confirms you are there. Travel the canal (6 knot speed limit) 22 statute miles to the South Mill Lock. Need to be at the South Mill bridge by 1:00pm to lock through at 1:30pm. The Lock operator will move you through the bridge and then the lock. Chanel 13 vhf. Call the lock operator as soon as you arrive at the bridge. From the Lock to Elizabeth City is about 18 miles. Elizabeth City bridge opens on demand but restricted during rush hour. Lots of anchorages around Elizabeth City, pick based on wind direction. You have traveled 41 miles today, navigated 2 locks and 2 draw bridges to MM 50.

Day 3: Leave early and follow the AICW 76 miles to the Pongo river anchorage MM126. There are several anchorages there depending on wind direction. Be careful at MM 80 Alligator inlet. Draw bridge at MM84. Longer day 76 miles to MM 126

Day 4: Follow AICW 62 miles to Cedar Creek Anchorage MM 188.

Day 5: Follow AICW 57 miles to Mile Hammock Bay anchorage MM 245. You will be going through Morehead City which can be a busy place and stopping next to Camp Lejeune marine base. One Draw bridge MM 240.

Day 6: Follow AICW 64 miles to South Port NC MM309. Draw bridges at MM 261, MM 278, and MM 284. Pick a marina here as you will likely want to pump out, fill water and reprovision. Tina's Pocket at MM 306 is a good anchorage also.

Day 7: Follow AICW 77 miles to Sandhole Creek anchorage MM 386. Draw bridges at MM 347, MM371.

Day 8: Follow AICW 69 miles to Dewees Creek 1 MM 455. Study the charts carefully; lots or wrong turn possibilities.

Day 9: Follow AICW 65 miles to Fenwick Cut West or Racoon Island anchorages depending on wind direction MM 520. 2 bridges with 31'+ clearance. Be careful at Elliott Cut MM 472 +/-.

Day 10: Follow AICW 65 miles to Turners Rock anchorage MM 585. One bridge 30' clearance. One draw bridge MM 580.

Day 11: Follow AICW 68 miles go about 6 miles up the Darien River to the city of Darien MM 653. Free public docks with water and electric and food stores within a mile. Hell's Gate is MM 602. Be careful here!

Day 12: Follow AICW 58 miles to Cumberland Sound South anchorage MM 708. Several good anchorages there depending on wind direction. At MM 680 a 4 mile detour into Brunswick will get you to Ocean Petroleum. Usually the cheapest diesel south of Norfolk until you get to Mexico.

Day 13: Follow AICW 57 miles to Pine Island South anchorage MM 765. Draw bridge at MM 739. Tidal water flow in Sisters Creek MM 735 through MM 739 can be over 2 knots. Be prepared for the bridge at MM 739. Clearance closed is only 24'!

Day 14: Easy day to Palm Coast.

There are more bridges that may slow you down that I didn't list as they are normally open.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote