what ever happened to the electric boat guy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Must have Shorted Out! - LOL

Actually, that's a good question. I'd like to know too.

In this and other forum there have been several times of rustling about electric powered boats and their increased efficiency. All seem to fade away after good attempts.

A friend and I also researched deeply into electric power for pleasure boats. We found:

Too costly / not ample energy carrying capacity / not ample charging capacity.

Hydrocarbon fuels or wind power still leads the pack. Physics play a huge role in this.

Last edited:
Merritt Island Marina Electric Conversion

There was a modified boat with solar panels outfitted on deck at a marina in Merritt Island a couple of months ago. He seemed to be running tests on his panels while tied up to the slip and he was making the water churn under the boat...

Next time I happen by, I'll get some info or pics.

stu

I read an article recently about an electric repower done by Huckins on an Elco or L.U dreamboat hull. May have been an issue of Wooden Boat Mag.

SHE was on cruisersforum recently asking about useful software to create a website... Her boat is just around the corner from us, although I haven't gone down there to have a look... what with this pesky weather and all.

-Chris

Ive been interested in the electric/generator set up for a sailboat. Seems like a really efficient genset could produce enough 240v juice to run a modest electric motor in sustained mode, and with solar panels and a wind or hydro generator keeping batteries in shape while sailing, one could probably have a fully sustainable boat using a lot less fuel.

Batteries aren't free and they aren't light, but they keep getting better. It's only a matter of time.

Very cool looking go fast electric

Lots o' batteries at 4:31, 4:46-4:55, 6:10 (30 cells for 100 volts), etc.

-Chris

Instead of a go fast electric, I believe what is required is a "go long" electric!
Food for thought.
Forty years ago, the forklift market was already using electric forklifts. Lead acid batteries, a fixed voltage contactor to run the hydraulic pump when needed- and a carbon pile resister to "choke the voltage" as needed to slow down/ speed up.
This evolved to an SCR drive system (#1 rectifier gets gated, voltage shoots through, 3 and 4 rec are fired to back feed and shut the #1 rec back off, voltage ceases) And so it goes- THOUSANDS of times a minute. The pulse of on and off is lengthened to allow the drive motor more "run" time, and this results in speeding up. Great system, very efficient, but there are several components to fail that are required to turn off the old #1 rec.
Now- today's drive systems are transistor controlled. It took several years for transistor technology to evolve to the point where it could handle the high amp loads. Transistors turn off as soon as the voltage to the gate is removed. How high?? A common drive motor fuse is around 350 amps. Sound familiar? Like possibly a fuse that might be installed on the battery cable starter circuit on a trawler??
That's how much energy we may be talking here to move a boat with 30-40 horsepower I'm guessing.
And to move a 8700 pound forklift across the concrete for 8 hours requires a 3000# battery. ? And after 8 hours of charging, it is suggested you let it cool 8 hours. That is the current state of the technology in the industrial truck industry.

I just don't think electric propulsion could ever be efficient enough using batteries.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Very cool looking go fast electric

Nice pretty little electric power set up in nice pretty little relatively unloaded boat.

No stats provided regarding range at stored power levels, attainable speeds, charge time, nor charge needs for gen set, fuel, solar panels, or shore power consumption.

From my associate's and my research, as well as, research from others we've read: Small boats are fairly ok for electric power at basically affordable installation costs as well as fairly efficient charging rates and time spans. However, their range is limited between charges; unless good size hydrocarbon burning gen set is aboard and constantly used.

Therefore, any more than little pleasure boats (i.e. large pleasure boats) do not currently receive increased efficiency in costs or useful time-spans by going electric.

IMO: Not until energy recharge and energy storage/release (e.g. expensive, weighty, cumbersome, disposal-restrictive batteries) reach new levels of development will larger pleasure power boats that need to go distances, at speeds, to accomplish schedules become financially and usefully-fun targets for electric power.

Electric power is great for government craft or big-business craft where energy-funds are no problem due to the deep-pocket syndrome.

Art

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom