Trawler Forum T shirts ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A note to all interested parties...
Please don't take this as sour grapes; it's not. However the logo you see was designed and submitted by me to a design "contest" posted by the original webmaster at TF. My design was chosen and no award or prize was given and none was ever expected. I was quite happy to pay back the efforts or those that built and maintained this forum through the donation of my field of expertise. What you see as the finished product didn't materialize quickly, easily or with the use of clipart. It is unique and entirely original, as is the slogan attached to the logo which is also my doing. The finished design is also just one of several of mine that were submitted, not to mention those that ended up in the waste can. Little did I know that the forum was to be sold shortly after the request for designs was put out there and that TF would now be run as a "for profit" venture.
I have the original design vector files, I am quite willing to forward the files at a very fair price to whomever would care to move ahead with these shrts, hats etc.
Otherwise the design will have to be redrawn, digitized and colour layers seperated by anybody that wants to do a quality print, and it aint' no quick and easy job.
I don't mean to come off like a stick-up artist but I'm a graphic designer by trade and I do not donate to businesses. I doubt many here would practice their chosen profession or trade for free; I'm afraid I can't afford to do so either. If anybody wants to purchase the files I may be contacted via private messaging. - Boyd

Very fair and reasonable request.

Kevin
Portland, OR

A note to all interested parties...
Please don't take this as sour grapes; it's not. However the logo you see was designed and submitted by me to a design "contest" posted by the original webmaster at TF. My design was chosen and no award or prize was given and none was ever expected. I was quite happy to pay back the efforts or those that built and maintained this forum through the donation of my field of expertise. What you see as the finished product didn't materialize quickly, easily or with the use of clipart. It is unique and entirely original, as is the slogan attached to the logo which is also my doing. The finished design is also just one of several of mine that were submitted, not to mention those that ended up in the waste can. Little did I know that the forum was to be sold shortly after the request for designs was put out there and that TF would now be run as a "for profit" venture.
I have the original design vector files, I am quite willing to forward the files at a very fair price to whomever would care to move ahead with these shrts, hats etc.
Otherwise the design will have to be redrawn, digitized and colour layers seperated by anybody that wants to do a quality print, and it aint' no quick and easy job.
I don't mean to come off like a stick-up artist but I'm a graphic designer by trade and I do not donate to businesses. I doubt many here would practice their chosen profession or trade for free; I'm afraid I can't afford to do so either. If anybody wants to purchase the files I may be contacted via private messaging. - Boyd

The plan was to sell the shirts for what they cost to make, not make a profit. If I end up making the shirts it would be easier if you would be willing to let me use the existing files, otherwise I'll have my production department or their art people re-do it. I wasn't making a profit from doing this, and neither is the forum. At least not that I've heard of yet.

If the forum owners wish to take this upon themselves and sell these for a profit I would agree with you. (unless you've previously agreed that the work you created belongs to the forum)

No Mast, if you have the ability and patience to finance, produce and individually post or ship these, more power to you. We're a boutique business that caters exclusively to film and television; handling these orders would be above and outside our daily operations. Trust me in that nobody on this end would be getting rich off the sale of several dozen T-shirts but in my opinion whomever takes this project on should be rewarded, even if only minimally. I don't recall any kind of agreement stated by TF or me offering any but if somebody wants to run with this I certainly won't object. If you have the means to generate the necessary artwork with colour and font matching, more power to you. I only ask that you respect the effort that went into the design by doing a quality job of reproducing it.
All the best. - Boyd

What do you think about a pocket in the T shirt? It sure comes in handy for my cheaters.

Greetings,
Does it have to be a boat on the T-Shirt? What about...

th

Really, anything is just great. I really appreciate the effort and would get some. Even before I typed that message I was thinking that it may be well over the top. Just an idea but like I said anything would be great!

Window decals...
Would you prefer your username or trawlerforum.com?
I may be a bit paranoid about privacy and security but personally speaking I would lean towards trawlerforum.com

I vote trawlerforum.com for the stickers, username and a pocket on the shirt

I would be in for at least two. One long sleeve if you have them and one short. Maybe two short.

No Mast, if you have the ability and patience to finance, produce and individually post or ship these, more power to you. We're a boutique business that caters exclusively to film and television; handling these orders would be above and outside our daily operations. Trust me in that nobody on this end would be getting rich off the sale of several dozen T-shirts but in my opinion whomever takes this project on should be rewarded, even if only minimally. I don't recall any kind of agreement stated by TF or me offering any but if somebody wants to run with this I certainly won't object. If you have the means to generate the necessary artwork with colour and font matching, more power to you. I only ask that you respect the effort that went into the design by doing a quality job of reproducing it.
All the best. - Boyd

Yes I have the ability to have these produced in a professional manner. I am willing to finance the production and supply the finished product at cost to the members. I do respect the effort that has gone into the design work and it will be well represented.

Would you be willing to share with me the vector graphics for the logo, strictly for use to make these at-cost shirts for everyone that wants them? The goal here is for us to make it easy to identify each other.

To avoid any possible legal or copyright infringements I'm going to defer to the administrators at Trawler Forum. If they want to contact me for the files I can provide .cdr/.ai/.dxf/.pdf or just about any other format they might like. Once they have the files they can distribute them as they see fit.

Boyd, I can take no issue with your position. It is entirely understandable.

All the best. - Boyd

Boyd, just so I understand this since I have no experience with printing or copyrights or anything creative. I'm just curious for my own education.

When you entered into the contest with TF for the TF logo, did you informally 'give' or 'donate' the rights to the use of the logo to TF/Social Knowledge? Do they need to get your permission to authorize use of the logo on products or apparel? In your opinion, do you believe that you own the rights to the logo or does TF/SK own the rights?

Just don't want to step on anyone's toes while walking into a crowded room.

Thanks!

Update: Just saw your latest post, Boyd. If it's agreeable to you and No Mast, I'll check with 'corporate' to see if I can serve as the go-between to facilitate this non-profit, good will venture.

I've got no dog in this fight but whoever winds up printing whatever can put me down for a couple of whatever y'all end up with.

Now I respectfully submit to the committee for consideration: Beer coozies, Scotch rocks, Hacky sacks, Flip flops, bandanas, Nerf footballs and the ever popular Speedo's :D

:flowers: Just kidding :flowers:

Considering this was a design "contest" my design was submitted on spec, I don't recall there being any conditions laid out and it was all pretty casual. As memory serves, the winning entry was to be used for the website's header. I suppose that by submitting my entries that I likely gave up any claim to intellectual property. If the administrators care to do some digging I'd think there must be something in the forum archives about all this.
If I can get some sort of confirmation that the master files will be used exclusively for zero profit branding or merchandising then I'll happily submit the master files to TF management. - Boyd

Last edited:
Recommend that the majority of shirts be sized "XL". In T-shirt clearance sales, all that's left/available are "S" and "M".

Recommend that the majority of shirts be sized "XL". In T-shirt clearance sales, all that's left/available are "S" and "M".

Even that is too small for some of us who are too short for our weight.

2XL (or XXL) for me

I had some T shirts done here last year, $15 using some kind of photo print system, front pocket, emblem and words on the back. Caps too, embroidered, sub $20. Volume reduces price.
Not worth getting them done here, I`m happy to order from the US., once this is sorted out.

Now this is getting promising and hats off to all who have a dog in this race?. We can't agree on Galley up/ down, the best anchor to use in the mud, or which micron size that should be installed in your Racors... but I think we are about to pull this off. I love the decal idea too.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Oh forklift this is easy! Down, whichever one holds, and 2.

On the shirts we are waiting on a green light from TF ownership to begin but are fairly confident we will have it soon. Once we have it, Boydster and I will have more info.

I had some T shirts done here last year, $15 using some kind of photo print system, front pocket, emblem and words on the back. Caps too, embroidered, sub $20. Volume reduces price.
Not worth getting them done here, I`m happy to order from the US., once this is sorted out.

The photo print process you're refering to and screenprinting are two different animals. The photoprint is a heat transfer process and basically applies a rubber skin to the cloth; they typically don't hold up as long as screen printed and can be quite uncomfortable in hot weather. They are very good for short runs and detailed photo or illustration prints. We do that type of work in-house but I wouldn't recommend it for this application. As far as hats go...embroidered all the way. Have no idea what the cost is but nothing looks worse than a cheap Nascar type ballcap. We are afterall yachtsmen and have a certain decorum to which we must measure ;-)

The photo print process you're refering to and screenprinting are two different animals. The photoprint is a heat transfer process and basically applies a rubber skin to the cloth; they typically don't hold up as long as screen printed and can be quite uncomfortable in hot weather. They are very good for short runs and detailed photo or illustration prints. We do that type of work in-house but I wouldn't recommend it for this application. As far as hats go...embroidered all the way. Have no idea what the cost is but nothing looks worse than a cheap Nascar type ballcap. We are afterall yachtsmen and have a certain decorum to which we must measure ;-)

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

It's great having a couple of experts on the job!

Its a great concept, and I certainly will be a buyer.

Hats off to those offering time etc for free, but I think long term a better outcome is for TF to pay Boyd something for his files. Then the beer coasters or whatever can be added to the range as and when demand arises without adversely impacting on anyone.

But, to TF owners, keep at it cost rounded up to the dollar or whatever. Make your profits from advertisers, don't pi$$ off the members!

Make sure the quality is good. And a cool/lightweight version as well as the heavy cotton is needed, if only for Florida/Queensland members (90ºF & 60% RH as I type, not that bad really....). I'll buy both types though.

Last edited:
@TF Moderators. Should we do a blanket email to members with a link to a TF shirt size and quantity thread so we can get a semi accurate count ?

A thread where there is no discussion and people would enter like this

Electro , 1 Med, 1 Lg

I hope the TF management people can work this all out. I would love a sticker and a couple of T-shirts. A BB cap too.

Could I suggest a complete line of Captains fashions and accessories, including the rugged "Pilothouse" line for the PNW.

Attachments

• TF clothing.jpg
    TF clothing.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 115
Could I suggest a complete line of Captains fashions and accessories, including the rugged "Pilothouse" line for the PNW.

No, No! The pink jacket goes on the guy with the pink hat to make a complementary ensemble.

Larry the brim on the 7 Gallon hat will need to be corrected for offshore wind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom