Wish this had been around when we were looking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's certainly worth at least a phone call for any interested West Coast shoppers, but at that price there is likely to be some unmentioned major flaw(s) that takes the asking price that low.

I've been shopping lately and was a bit tuned to an Albin 36 and see this as a give-away price. A good low price would be $40K more than that. That boat probably has EVERYTHING wrong with it. Can't be any other reason for that price. Buying that boat would be like buying a lottery ticket. Since it's an Albin the hull is probably good so to buy it, gut it and strip it and build a new boat may work but to find (not hard) and buy a good Albin would probably be much better. Bah Humbug. If you get a good salesman on that phone call the phone call will probably cost you what you consider a fortune.

It's close to the price I paid my MT last year. Maybe no major flaw but almost everything has to be looked at in some way. A project for sure. As long at the hull and the engine are in good condition, it's a great deal for someone who has the time and skill to do it. Personnaly I like doing boat work, especially on an older boat that needs attention. I am not afraid to try things. I figure I can only make it better!

Judging from the photos it appears that the boat has sat neglected for a number of years. 1300 hours on a 30 year old boat suggests either light usage overall or a long hiatus, probably the latter. Definitely a project boat but only a thorough survey would tell the tale.*It certainly would not show well, which might be a big part of the low price, but as ARoss says, it would certainly be worth investigating for anyone in the market. It could be a steal for the right person.

it amazes me that people don't do more to help the sales price of a boat for sale.* Take that boat and get the brightwork done, clean it good inside and out, and make sure the bilge doesn't stink and I'll bet the asking price goes up 10K at least, maybe 20 if the boat looks very*good.

As they say, most buyers pay more attention to the way a boat looks on the showroom floor than anything else.

You've all made really good points on this boat; however, one never knows the circumstances surrounding the sale of a boat. Could be a divorce, wife gets the boat and wants to orney and sell for peanuts. With this economy as it is, could be any number of reasons a "good" boat goes cheap. We got a superb price on our little CHB, by being in the right place at the right time, sellers simply wanted it sold immediately, no broker, and willing to let it go for what they owned on it. It goes without saying that you have to do due diligence for sure. Having heard great things about Albin boats, this would definitely have been one we would have checked out. Frankly, it looks quite similar to our CHB.

Egregious wrote:

it amazes me that people don't do more to help the sales price of a boat for sale.* Take that boat and get the brightwork done, clean it good inside and out, and make sure the bilge doesn't stink and I'll bet the asking price goes up 10K at least, maybe 20 if the boat looks very*good.

As they say, most buyers pay more attention to the way a boat looks on the showroom floor than anything else.

Or at the very least, when the broker takes listing pics, to just PICK UP THE MESS a little or just pile it behind the camera when he's photographing it. Duh?!?!
confuse.gif

Rocky wrote:

You've all made really good points on this boat; however, one never knows the circumstances surrounding the sale of a boat. Could be a divorce, wife gets the boat and wants to orney and sell for peanuts. With this economy as it is, could be any number of reasons a "good" boat goes cheap. We got a superb price on our little CHB, by being in the right place at the right time, sellers simply wanted it sold immediately, no broker, and willing to let it go for what they owned on it. It goes without saying that you have to do due diligence for sure. Having heard great things about Albin boats, this would definitely have been one we would have checked out. Frankly, it looks quite similar to our CHB.
I agree, Rocky. While the mainstream media has been parroting "the economic recovery", there's been no such thing. The destruction of wealth continues, with house prices retreating, jobs disappearing, and fortunes dwindling. Boats are one of the first things to go when people need to start selling the farm. I anticipate more and more of these types of sales as we move forward. I see a lot of dreamy prices out there, and a lot of boats just sitting with no buyers as a result. As a potential buyer, I'm not going to pay yesterday's wildly inflated price in today's deflationary world. I want value. $100k+ for a 35 year old 36' trawler just doesn't scream bargain. The plethora of slips available, where once there were only waiting lists, is a sign that all is not well in the boating world.

That is about the correct price , depending on weather the equippment is of use to you.

We had one sold from our dock for 25K , about 2 years ago,,it had fantastic cold plate refrigeration and also a cold plate freezer.

The std problems , fuel tanks rust contaminated , and to get them out the engine would need to be lifted. Not much ca$h to have the iron tanks re created , but lots of grunt work.

The teak deck was gone and leaked below so the std deck repair procedure would be needed , same for the windows.

As usual the fly bridge goodies rotted the cabin roof below , so that too would need love.

These were fine boats , and with some owner grunt work would make a fine Looper , or as this one did for years a good Bahamas cruiser.

For about $65K a 36 Gulf-tub motor boat would have none of the deck work to do , but other items might .

The question is what is $40,000 worth to you in time , effort and skills?

NO, pro yard could not bring the Albin up to near 100% for the $40K , but an owner easily could.

Sweat Equity?

I called the broker and was told it was a widow. Wants the boat gone.

Some trouble with one of the engines needed a new cooler and was installed last year.

The boat was sold a couple of years ago and the fellow who was living on it.*********** *He defaulted on the loan.

*The widow was carrying the paper and got the boat back now she just wants it gone.
the broker said he has had a million calls.
He said he has had offers of ten and twelve thousand.
Bottom feeders no doubt. It does need work but sounds like a great boat for someone.

SD

As they say, "its only worth what someone is willing to pay." I hope someone, who felt they'd never get a boat bought, will find this and bring it back. If its just TLC that it needs, it will be a great find for someone, kinda like rescuing a dog nobody wants. I know, I know, I am a big sap.....LOL

Lovely sentiment. You're not sap just a kind heart.

I feel for the lady who lost her husband. Now she has to get rid of all of his stuff

My mother in law keep a beach ball that her late husband had blown up.**When ever she had a missing moment she would inhale a little of the beachball air. Just to remind her of him.

SD

Makes you realize how easy it is for couples who have been together for so long and one passes, and then the other goes fairly quickly thereafter, with apparently nothing much wrong with them, except a lonely heart. I feel for the widow as well. Okay people someone needs to go buy this and help her out. Just kidding, I'm sure there is a someone for this boat.

I have to agree with the "sweat equity" philosophy on this one... *and I think you did better already with your CHB. *This must have been a gorgeous looking boat when it was fresh, but that's a lot of wood. *Make sure you take a moisture meter along for those decks.

BoatDog wrote:

While the mainstream media has been parroting "the economic recovery", there's been no such thing.*
Actually I just heard this morning on an economic report that one of the sectors that is showing a strong recovery*in sales is*boats.* They didn't say what type or*kind, just "boats."

y'all are brave. I love old trawlers but I really don't think I'd be brave enough to buy one with teak decks. WAY too much work for me and WAY too much potential for massive deck problems. Of course, the irony is my boat has fiberglass decks and I just recored the foredeck and aft bridge deck!!! :)
Albins are nice though...we looked HARD at a 49 Albin repo before we got our monk. I LOVED the layout on that boat but it was just too trashed for me to want to take on due to years of neglect. Awesome boat though.

I though you like the California?* I like the lay out of the California better with its big windows.* In the PNW big windows to let in as much sun light is important.* That is what my wife likes about our boat the big salon windows.* We where think of installing bigger port holes/windows in the staterooms. **I mean once the boat is ugly its just a matter of degree!

Over the years I have said that several time!* But hey that is water under the boat!* No use crying over spilt paint/varnish!* The water is always bluer/smother on the other side of the water!

If I had an extra million my wife would by a 65 ft Pacific Marine or a 75 ft Delta.* The main reason is both have full size bath tubs which my wife would like to have.* I have offered to block off a space/area in the bilge that she could use, but for some reason she is not to keen on that idea.* We were also looking at a small portable hot tub that could be set on the back deck or the salon roof.* We have the hot water capacity so we just need the tub.***

I do not mind out teak decks as they make the boat!* Teak decks just need taking care of like other things on the boat, and they give plenty of*early signs if you know what to look for.* My wife*bought*our boat becaseu of the teak decks.trim and interior.* However, don't teller over the years I have painted over some of the*HER teak.***********

Phil: I still do like the Californians, but they were out of our budget. I just though this Albin had the possibility of being a good buy for someone and Albins have a good name in the trawler world. There are several Californians at our marina, and I drool everytime they pass by. That said, I do think they have somewhat of a stubby bow, but other than that, they have a great layout and no teak, although I'm getting use to all my teak and kinda like it.

Woodsong wrote:I love old trawlers but I really don't think I'd be brave enough to buy one with teak decks. WAY too much work for me and WAY too much potential for massive deck problems.
A well-made teak deck in good condition is no more work than a fiberglass deck.* All you have to do is wash it every now and then.* Our teak deck is now 37 years old and while it's not perfect it takes very little maintenance now that we've brought it up to snuff.* And the new teak decks that are glued down instead of screwed down eliminate any potential for problems with the subdeck.

in my opinion teak is such a superior deck surface in terms of wet and dry traction that the small amount of extra effort it takes to keep one in good condition far outweighs having a fiberglass "non skid" deck.

"A well-made teak deck in good condition is no more work than a fiberglass deck."

These are usually TEAK DECKS , not a shmeer of teak stuck on top of a composite (plywood and a layer of glass).

"in my opinion teak is such a superior deck surface in terms of wet and dry traction that the small amount of extra effort it takes to keep one in good condition far outweighs having a fiberglass "non skid" deck."

Perhaps you haven't been aboard a pilot or rescue boat in Europe.

Treadmaster , is the norm , and they have the budget for most anything .

I agree with Marin. My boats decks were replaced with non-skid fibreglass by the previus owner, and I'm happy about that, because they had developed the usual problem, but if I could afford to lay a glued down teak deck, I would like a shot.

FF wrote:Perhaps you haven't been aboard a pilot or rescue boat in Europe.
As a matter of fact i had the privilege of being taken out on an RNLI training session on the 47'* William Street (see photo). They even let me drive it around for an hour or so in Morcambe Bay on the east coast of England.* But these boats and the way they are constructed is a far cry from the typical recreational boat with "bumpy" fiberglass or paint for deck traction.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 6th of November 2010 12:13:47 PM

Attachments

• william-street.jpg
    william-street.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 105
is a far cry from the typical recreational boat with "bumpy" fiberglass or paint for deck traction.

I would bet they had Treadmaster or some brand of a copy .

I have no idea. It was black and not slippery. Carey (of this forum) and his wife were on the same boat with us the following year--- perhaps he remembers what the deck surface was like.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom