Our Florida trip.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GFC

Guru
A few days ago I posted a pic from Key West. I figured I'd better post the rest of the pics so OK, here's the skinny on this vacation. We flew to Ft. Myers on 12/30 to spend some time with my bro and his wife. They life on the 24th floor of a huge condo development (one of 7 towers) on the Caloosahatchie(sp?) River in Ft. Myers, right where Hwy 41 crosses. Down below us are two fairly good size marinas.

We took a boat tour of the river on 1/2 but no photos of that. It was pretty much like every other river except that it's huge.

We took off on 1/3 for Key West where we'd rented a two bedroom, two bath apartment that's a block off Duval St. We took a trolley tour of KW and walked out butts off in the 4 days we were here.

Here's a pic of the place we stayed. Nothing special from the outside but nicely decorated inside, with lots of room.
img_297194_0_2a160635422a98947c253cd432928047.jpg

There was a pool in back that we spent a few hours soaking in to cool off. Temps were in the low 80's and the humidity around that same level. Too darn hot and humid for this desert dweller.
img_297194_1_722b6a08ff98668fa55e2c4b7a647eba.jpg

We went down to the sunset pier each night to watch the sun set over the Gulf. There were always some pretty nice boats out and it was nice to sit, sip some cocktails and just watch the world go by.
img_297194_2_dbc7b48df16e58eb74ea5a1e751a3fb8.jpg

Here's one of GW and me sharing some quality time as we watched the sun set. What a romantic place to be.
img_297194_3_8991acd211e8213e1562629a946366d9.jpg

Duval Street is party central for KW. It's about 1.25 miles long and much of it (and the surrounding streets) are filled with small bars, restaurants and shops selling all kinds of wares.

KW is known for the weird people to come here to visit and live. It's fun to just walk down the street and see the "artists" who hawk their wares along the curb. Here's a couple of pics of a truck that was parked along the street. Check out the bumper sticker....
img_297194_4_137f993859ee04d59c1897e0fbc75115.jpg
img_297194_5_757ed4e6f2ab5bce20241d56241aaa01.jpg

KW is also loaded with excellent restaurants. We were here 5 years ago so we knew some of them but we found a few new ones and visited one of the restaurants we'd been to before.

One of the things we did was tour Hemingway's home. He lived here for many years because of the good fishing. On the grounds are around 60 6-toed cats. They're free to roam around, get petted and just do what cats do....not much. I stopped to scratch this one behind the ears and he loved it for a minute but then stuck me with one of his claws to let me know he'd had enough. Damm nasty cat!
img_297194_6_e6971dffd33b3f61e6f796b8dc6fd32c.jpg

We left KW on Wednesday and drove up through the keys. What a beautiful trip that is with the azure water, boats of all kinds and the Overseas Highway with miles of bridges. No pics of that, but as we drove north we took the old Highway 41 instead of the freeway to go back to the west side of the state. That highway passes through the Everglades. We stopped at an airboat tour place and took a 45 minute airboat tour through the swamps. Here’s where we stopped for the tour.

img_297197_0_0b4b4f60b3f9073c6eb4f298145b5da2.jpg

And the boat we took the tour on. The boat has a 502 GM big block engine that’s turning a 54” prop. According to the guide it’s capable of running about 45mph. I don’t know if that’s true, but it planes easily with about 30 people on board.

img_297197_1_24a1fe1e43ad7f121aa57f4ba272cea6.jpg

These boats are a kick in the pants. Several times we were on plane and the guide would kick the rudders hard over and put the boat in a sideways slide, and once he spun a 360* turn. Here’s a couple of videos of running through the swamps….

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

Here’s a pet boa constrictor that was at the airboat place. We all got to pet him. Snakes—yuck.

img_297197_2_33c99d8c3eacae96b4354aa9390395a8.jpg

One of the Everglades’ residents, a Blue Heron who stood patiently by while we photographed him.

img_297197_3_f725a181e5cdc3ebb7f6bded94ef4e94.jpg

While on the airboat we saw two gators…
img_297197_4_bff22572bc8ac9af2941b9efa8368800.jpg

img_297197_5_2873ebc9ba8d90263a3642ccf76f5ebe.jpg

When we finished the tour I got to wrestle an alligator. After a lengthy wrestling match I managed to get him in a sleeper hold and he went out…..

img_297197_6_120ea13b350d54262362c59853a6b928.jpg

Before we left Coopertown I got a plate of gator tail and frog legs, two Everglades delicacies. They were both breaded (not my favorite) but both were good. I’d had frog legs and they’re OK, but nothing real special. The gator was great.

From there we continued on west on Hwy 41. When we got to the point where the road turned to the NW we turned off the highway and took a secondary road (Hwy 94) that cut straight west through the swamps. It was a good choice because we saw numerous gators along the way. Here are a couple of pics of those. This one was huge, about 10’ long.

img_297197_7_857ff998f7cd56916aaa368969cf1a36.jpg

That part of the trip was pretty cool because most of the gators we saw were only about 20'-30' from the roadway.
img_297197_8_66d950a8ad862afbaf201ca8d14c4635.jpg

img_297197_9_617945dee2b4d5a3d7c41d8471572301.jpg

We took our time going through that area and stopped many times to watch birds and alligators. We didn’t get back to Ft. Myers until after 6:00 so we went directly to the Smoke’n Pits BBQ in North Ft. Myers. I had a rack of ribs, GW had brisket and both were very good. The restaurant is a small one, just a plain place where you don’t need to get dressed up to dine. All you need are a good appetite and lots of napkins if you eat ribs.

So we’re back in Ft. Myers now. We fly home on Saturday and will be able to look back on another great vacation.

What a cool trip!

I've never seen a gator in person!

Fantastic!

Makes me feel right at home

family going back 7 generations in Florida

Great pictures

Glad you're having a good time in Florida.

I really like vacationing in FL. If it weren't for the humidity I could live here. We live in a desert area in WA and have a winter place in the Phoenix area. Both have humidity below 30%.

There are many beautiful areas of the country and after thing slow down a bit we want to do some extended road trips to visit more of them.

What a cool trip!

I've never seen a gator in person!

Fantastic!

Then you should one day just ride through Lake Okeechobee and see them all lined up along the bank sunning as they watch you pass.

We've been to Key West 10 or 11 times in the past 2 1/2 years. However, we've never been there by car. Just boat.

Wow Awesome Pictures and sounds like you had a wonderful time and that is whats most important of all !!
Thanks for sharing them......any more ?
:popcorn: Jim

Great photos.
Florida nice place to visit BUT heat, humidity, palmetto bugs, see me nots (British terminology) red bugs, tourons (morons on tour StAug term), roofs covered with blue plastic tarps and visitors wearing black knee socks with sandals......................

Blue tarps ??? really? Come on you must have been here right after a hurricane as that is when you see them, they temporarily repair storm damaged roofs, while waiting for overworked roofers.

I captain Airboats for my neighbor and friend, have for over the past 5 years and run over 1000 trips with up to 11 passengers. The boats we run have 450+ horsepower and with a full load of 12 people run in the low to mid 40's over wet weeds.

One of the old smaller boats (8 passenger)
img_297881_0_d386c3272f7571aec4577b6a6f5e9e25.jpg

We now have 2 of these 12 passenger boats
76095.jpg
dsc02293.jpg

Airboat Tours in Vero Beach Florida - Capt Bob Airboat Adventure Tours

Last edited:
Great photos.
Florida nice place to visit BUT heat, humidity, palmetto bugs, see me nots (British terminology) red bugs, tourons (morons on tour StAug term), roofs covered with blue plastic tarps and visitors wearing black knee socks with sandals......................

Speaking for South Florida. First, we have enough people so not at all encouraging more people to move here. But to each of the factors mentioned. Specifically for Fort Lauderdale.

Heat. We never had a 100 degree day until one in 2009. The average high in August is 90 degrees.

Humidity. Healthy. Love it. Great for your skin. Always a breeze off the ocean and salt air good for sinuses. Dryness from running heat in other areas is what we dislike.

Bugs. We're a developed area and don't have trouble with all the bugs you mentioned.

Roofs with blue plastic tarps. Not here. Would get one in trouble.

Visitors with Black knee socks and sandals. Rare but might be a few. No more laughable though than others. Bet some would even find what you wore to be strange.

But please, we're fine here.....no more people....

Not really, lived there 38 years, like I said a great place to visit unfortunately to many visitors came back on a permanent basis. Always got a kick out of them complaining that "that's not how we do it back home". Best bumper sticker was "Now that you've visited our beaches go home" and take someone with you when you leave.

Difference between a damnyankee and a yankee, yankee goes back.

We came to Florida for a two week vacation. Ended up buying a house, becoming Florida residents. resigning our job (I worked a notice, my wife is a teacher and was summer), scheduling a mover, putting our house on the market.

"Speaking for South Florida. First, we have enough people so not at all encouraging more people to move here."

Wait, what?? Were you the last people allowed to move to south Florida? Am I missing something here? :facepalm:

"Speaking for South Florida. First, we have enough people so not at all encouraging more people to move here."

Wait, what?? Were you the last people allowed to move to south Florida? Am I missing something here? :facepalm:

Yes, it's a matter of law.....lol...Border closed July 1, 2012.

Of course most of us came here from other places. A state of immigrants closing the door to any more....lol

Obviously not working as we've now passed NY as the third largest state. Adding over 100,000 people per year.

My post meant in humor to the one criticizing Florida as being a place they wouldn't want to live.

Scottie that looks like a first class airboat operation. My wife has never been on an airboat and wants to go for a ride. If I bring her up, how do I get you as the captain?

We're back home now after a very long day yesterday and an overnight in Seattle. When you go from WA to FL and back, it's a loooooong trip. I guess that's why people in the western states vacation in AZ and surrounding states. We fly from here to Mesa, AZ in 2 hours. Not a bad trip.

I'd hate to make that all day long jaunt to Fl very often.

Sorry. ... Florida is so unforgettable (and with an unhealthy, tropical climate), we've never taken a photograph there worth forwarding. (I'm a hill/mountain, low-humidity person). ... Regardless, Perla (a tropical island girl) is going to meet a friend there this week in Florida to swim with the dolphins. So, there is still hope.

img_298016_0_46df71d44bd64e08d063fc49024c8c6b.png

Last edited:
Scottie that looks like a first class airboat operation. My wife has never been on an airboat and wants to go for a ride. If I bring her up, how do I get you as the captain?

I'd like to know the same. Talk about a cool combo trip. High speed airboats, gators and a TF'er for the captain too. What's not to like?

Mark, Perla will love it as my sister-in-law highly recommends the experience.

A couple of years ago we went on a private air-boat in Louisiana. Interesting, but the alligators were hiding. Southern Louisiana:

img_298032_0_df237ea0b1a52417426d984d701c0d19.jpg

Mark, you could always live in the cool of the North Georgia Mountains, and still be a days drive from South Florida. Ask Ulysses.

:eek:Oops! Gotta go. I'm hearing those damn banjos again.

Don, there is too much road kill in Georgia. And I'm only within 25 minutes of my boat now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom