6' draft in the Bahamas and Caribbean...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mimi

Vessel Name
Mimi
Vessel Make
Fleming 55
I'm looking at a 55' steel hulled full displacement beast. I like everything about her, except the 6' draft. I'm in the Abacos right now and feel like she might be problematic here. On the other hand, I like knowing she has the potential to go anywhere, in any kind of seas. If her draft were 4.5 or 5', I wouldn't hesitate, but that extra foot gives me pause...
Any thoughts?

I wouldn't hesitate we make out just fine in the Abaco's. Just can't get in Man O War.

What kinda boat?

I wouldn't let a 6ft draft stop me from making the purchase. in fact thats actually what we draft. It does make me feel a bit better knowing the prop and rudder are somewhat protected by the keel. But so far it hasn't been an issue.

The few marinas where I couldn't get into, I had a boat sturdy enough to keep going, or find a spot to anchor and wait.

If you're apt to do some offshore passages, 6' will be a huge benefit.

We draw 6' now. We've done the entire Abacos and are heading to the Bahamas again next month. I tend to skip much of the Georgia ICW, the ICW between Southport and Little River Inlet, and the ICW from Winyah Bay to Charleston. But I've done all of those inside multiple times too.

I think that 5.5' to 6' is the sweet spot for North America cruising. If you go lower than 5', you probably won't go outside much. If you draw more than 6.5', you probably won't go inside much. 6' is...well...just right.

You will be fine in the Bahamas. There are several harbors that you can't get inside of, or you have to anchor just outside of, or play the tides just right to get inside. But you will find lots of spots to go to. (Lot's of hanging prepositions here ;-).

And as Jeff just said, a draft of 6' is better for sailing offshore, best if it includes some ballast.

David

As long as prop tips are well above bottom of keel, you can push over some stuff. Especially steel!! Sure the barnacles will then grow there, but next time you do it, they come right off!!

I would not be very adventurous if prop tips are below keel, but that would be rare on such a boat.

Sorry I cannot help with your direct question but we currently own a 55', 55 ton steel trawler with a 5.5' draft. Not many issues to speak of on the west coast through we certainly don't have the same skinny waters.

I'd echo the other poster, I sure feel comfortable with that fully protected prop.

People sometimes act like there's a huge difference between 5' and 6'. But if you have 5', how often are you going to cruise where you have less than 1' clearance? And yet that's the only time it makes a difference. Only depths between 5 and 6'. And that's really not much. We've done the Bahamas with 5' and 6'6". There were very few situations where it made a difference. Most of the areas we either would go with both boats or wouldn't go with either of them.

You learn to work with what you have. So the extra foot impacts you once every 30 days. Does that really matter that much?

I don't know anything about the Bahamas. But I ask, if 6' draft is an issue how do all the sailboats make it in the Bahamas?

I don't know anything about the Bahamas. But I ask, if 6' draft is an issue how do all the sailboats make it in the Bahamas?

By drawing 6 foot or less. Or if they draw much more, by staying out of many of the good anchorages and/or playing the tides.

The Carib is a cake walk , its not a barely awash sand bar , but mostly mountains sticking up from the depths.

Lots of places you will be 1/4 mile offshore with 200-400 ft of water.

Steel boats require Steel Boat surveyors ,,,

Thanks to all for the words of wisdom! Survey and sea trial scheduled for next Thursday and Friday. Moving up from a 38' Sabre Salon Express.
Can't wait to go slow!

So what are you purchasing? Any photos would greatly be appreciated if you don't mind sharing with us.

I'm looking at the 2010 Bering 55', Mila, in Fort Lauderdale.

Mimi best of luck with it! Keep us posted.

I'm looking at the 2010 Bering 55', Mila, in Fort Lauderdale.

I have no knowledge of the specific boat but love the model, the 55' Bering. If we were after full displacement it's absolutely one we would consider. Only thing not perfect is height is too much for loop, but hinge the arch and that's solved. Love the length of the flybridge and it's use of space. Also the choice to have two staterooms which makes them both very nice.

The accommodation of a nice tender will help make the exploration of the Bahamas nice. I'm guessing maybe a 15' Rib.

She is a beauty!

Mimi-beautiful boat! The listing noted "Not for Sale to U residents in US waters". Do you have to take it into international waters to close the sale?

She's in the the marina up from us, Harboure Town. Nice boat.

No stabilizers though. Which would
Be a big deal breaker for me.

No stabilizers though. Which would
Be a big deal breaker for me.

That would concern me too although their theory is that the huge keels act as stabilizers.

I would go in anticipating the need to add stabilizers as a possibility though

I'm pretty sure that's the same boat I looked at in 2012. I wouldn't rule her out because of her draft, she's steel after all. Looks like she still has the same fuel in her tanks that she had in October 2012 though. Interesting boat but she's now priced $500,000 less than when I saw her at FLIBS 2012 for a reason. At some price she may or may not be the right boat but you need to do your due diligence regardless.

Via iPad using Trawler Forum

No stabilizers would kill the deal for me unless I negotiated a significant reduction to incorporate them. But that's me.

I'm trying to find out everything I can about this boat, and I'm truly appreciative of all the educated comments.
Anyone have an opinion on how problematic it would be to add stabilizers to a steel hulled vessel of this size?
What about fins vs. gyro...? (There might be room for the gyro in the lazarette...)

I'm trying to find out everything I can about this boat, and I'm truly appreciative of all the educated comments.
Anyone have an opinion on how problematic it would be to add stabilizers to a steel hulled vessel of this size?
What about fins vs. gyro...? (There might be room for the gyro in the lazarette...)

Finally. Of all the boats I have touted (I took many photos) on my website as a best buy, this vessel has received the most inquiries, from all over the world. I've heard more interesting stories of why they're not buying her today than any other boat I've ever offered.. Heir to a fried chicken empire waiting for probate to clear, need to sell something else number one. I had a guy from France come look at her, but said her interior was "too nice". Then others have noticed her $500k price reduction and call asking "do you think he would take 50% off, isn't that normal?" Etc. So what I've learned is that for all the talk about people wanting high quality steel single screw trawlers, the boats actually selling have been otherwise. Gorgeous, as new condition. Congratulations!!
To answer your question-the yard there at the marina is a great yard who do any and everything quickly at quite reasonabe prices.

Last edited:
Adding fin type stablizers is relatively straightforward in steel- the hardware is simply welded in. But you need space to do it, usually in engine room. No way to tell how much stuff has to be moved out of the way until a tech crawls around in there. Engine needs a way to mount a hydraulic pump, or do belt drives.

Gyro is something I've never fiddled with. It will require constant run of the genset, but has the advantage of functioning at anchor. No expert on these.

The boat and new owner might not need stab, but it is best to know what the project will require before buying. That way if later you decide it is necessary, you know the basic project details.

Mimi-beautiful boat! The listing noted "Not for Sale to U residents in US waters". Do you have to take it into international waters to close the sale?

Also basically means that if you do decide to bring it into the US you'll need to pay the 1.5% import duty.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom