Thread: Batteries
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2014, 07:54 PM   #31
Edelweiss
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
[QUOTE=Rogerh;295155]So this brings up the question... What is the difference of running your batteries down to 50% with DC lights and other DC loads or running it down to 50% with DC loads and an inverter? /QUOTE]

Probably nothing. . . But if you're "drawing your batteries down to 50%." between recharge cycles and you do it multiple times, then you will be lucky if they last 4 years. That is the kiss of death for your batteries, even deep cycle, AGM's, Flooded, gel, etc. They don't like to be drained like that.

If you don't have a generator and you need A/C, then an inverter is probably your best bet, but they should be used sparingly. Inverters are very inefficient and will pull your batteries down much faster than most DC power loads. Interior lights, especially if they're LED's, have very little impact on your batteries.

I have a 2000 watt inverter but it only runs while we're underway to power my PC network and laptop. It has no impact on the batteries as the alternators can easily keep up with what it draws. For other A/C loads, we run the generator and at night we shut everything down.