Navy Weather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meridian

Guru
Vessel Name
Meridian
Vessel Make
Krogen-42
My buddy, a 30 year retired Navy Captain gave me this info for weather forecasting. It is updated twice a day and shows the forecast for 6 days ahead in 6 hour increments. We use the instructions for Bahama crossing but the info is world-wide.

WAVES
https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/wxmap_cgi/
Click "continue to this website" (just go!!!)
Click on tropical/WW3 to the right of "Global."
Find W Atlantic
chart.
Under this chart click on WW3 (wind wave)
always click on
"Continue to website"
Click on very small word "all" to the right of "significant wave height and direction"
Page down using Z time (subtract 5 hours).
Dates and times are at bottom of each chart.

Dark Blue is GREAT!

=============================================================

WINDS
Click at top left on Models for drop down menu ... Click on "Tropical/Ofcl Areas"
Go to far left chart labeled Trop Atlantic.
Click on "GFS" under this chart. It is between the NVG and WW3.
Go to second from bottom item: Surface Streamlines"
Click on small "all" just to the right of green dot .
Page down through 6 hour increments.
Re check both winds and waves every twelve hours... Updated twice a day at 1AM and 1PM EST.
No winds (white areas) or Purple windlines are great.

Also go back and find "periods" between peaks ... Very important info.

RTF,

That link has ALWAYS given the warning. Don't worry about it. I have been using it for many years with absolutely no problems. Excellent site - I am fairly certain that the generally reliable Passageweather.com - among other sites - gets their data directly from the Navy site.

ERIC

Prettty typical for a lot of mil websites - they won't go through the hoops to "prove" they're "trustworthy". That's my go to for storm info. Seems to consistently beat the socks off NWS and other storm forecasts.

Prettty typical for a lot of mil websites - they won't go through the hoops to "prove" they're "trustworthy". That's my go to for storm info. Seems to consistently beat the socks off NWS and other storm forecasts.

DOD has their own Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) certification authorities with their own chain of trust. For whatever reason, they do not get incorporated into the chain of trust of general purpose computing. Just ignore the warnings as DOD sites are more trustable than ANY commercial site you will reach. You can also choose to include the DOD site as trusted with your browser.

So if I wanted to zoom into the PNW is there a way to get there or is it just the E Pacific?

Dumb question, but what does Tau stand for? Looks like some really good data.

Bob

Wow.
Great.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom