View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #8
Phyrcooler

City: Southern California
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Thumbs up In Support of San Diego...

Thought I’d weigh in a little. Maybe help a bit before someone talks you into Florida! San Diego has been our go-to recreation location for many many years. Not only for water activities on the bay and coastal waters, but also because of all the other attractions and activities.

The weather is a few degrees below normal right now, with a significant cold spell headed our way. However, I can't tell you the countless days we spend wherein the weather is in the mid-70's... year round! A hoodie or a wind breaker is about as extreme as it gets. Yes... cool and breezy is expected - especially in the evening. Mostly very mild, comfortable weather is what you get. Year ‘round. Having spent many years in the south... I'll take that year-round temperate environment over the humidity, bugs and those occasional pesky named weather events. Personal choice that works for us for now.

The water is cold as others have advised. It’s not the gulf stream. But it isn't Washington or Alaska either. I've pulled on a shortie wetsuit and enjoyed many dives. Most surfers in the summer are without wetsuits.

San Diego has many good marina's. Shelter Island and Harbor Island have the advantage of being closer to the ocean... and have slightly higher rents. But are closer to the airport. I believe you’ll find the East bay a little cheaper. And a bit quieter. Good marinas there too - but for us commuting in from out of town... the added distance and somewhat less desirable neighborhood of Chula Vista makes the savings not worth it. Again... personal choice.

What is important to recognize is that unless you spend all your time on the boat… it is about the community and its attractions. San Diego excels at this. There are many great restaurants – close enough to the waterfront for a short taxi… or bicycle ride. The waterfront has two great museums in the Midway Aircraft Carrier and the Maritime museum. The fantail Café on the Midway is a great place for a bowl of soup and a sandwich… or just to relax with a beer.

Balboa park is our version of Central Park… or Stanley Island for you PNW folks. Great museums and different visiting attractions. The Aerospace Museum is a family favorite. The Zoo there in the park is world renown. Memberships to your favorites make them economical… and most come with some free passes so you can share with visiting family or friends. Not going to get into the black fish argument… but Sea World is enjoyed by many. Head out to Cabrillo monument and the light house. Views for miles! Those are just the most obvious attractions. There are many other things to visit and do around the City or a short drive away.

A good gym was mentioned in the other thread. The best gym for working out is the water front between the Convention Center and Harbor Island - including Seaport Village. It is great for joggers and bicyclists or even leisurely strolls. And if you are less inclined to exercise, the view of those that do is always worthwhile. San Diego has some HEALTHY women! (OK… and probably men so I don’t get in trouble with anyone! I just don't notice)

Yes. You are in a major city. That comes with all the benefits of any city… as well as the downsides. If you want a quiet marina away from it all… I’d go up the coast. But you lose out on so much the City and its big bay offers… And that includes the helo’s and jets. I don’t know. It doesn’t bother me. In a City I expect some noise. And frankly… I give a friendly wave or salute to our naval men and women or Coasties flying overhead. Sound of freedom thank you. I enjoy the view.

Sorry for sounding like a Chamber of Commerce employee. Love the City. Like to share.

So... Visit some marinas. Choose one that fits your style. Enjoy!
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote