View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Impression of Southern California marinas

Well, here's my impression of the Southern California Marinas we've visited so far.

I am writing this while having a nice cup of coffee sitting on my patio at the Kona Kai resort in San Diego.

Dana Point

We both loved Dana Point harbor. Great places to eat near by, and the boaters we met were very nice and down to earth. Not so great for the dogs, but very nice indeed.

Oceanside

This is a very nice little harbor area. Very touristy, with the little shops etc... Not pet friendly, but a very scenic little harbor.

Kona Kai San Diego

This is a yacht club style marina. Hotel, nice bar, very upscale. Maybe too upscale or "yacht clubbish" for us. We'll see more today.

Its funny, the very first night we went to the bar for happy hour and there were two middle aged "yacht club" types there with dyed, highlighted hair, trying to look younger than they were, sparring over who has the bigger, badder yacht. I told my wife they were phalus measuring. I was not impressed with this to say the least.

Met another very nice guy that keeps his boat here and loves it. He seemed much more down to earth. We're going to explore this marina more today.

Chula Vista

We connected at Chula Vista. Had a nice conversation with a couple that keep their boat there, and some nice "ordinary" people at the restaurant. The whole atmosphere was much more our style than the Yacht Club experience. Great for dogs thhere as well. Shopping near by without being "downtown".

As far as snowbird escape in general, the wife and I are mixed about this. The weather is nice, but having just come back from Hawaii a couple weeks ago, this is not Hawaii weather. I'm in a hoodie right now. Thats part of this trip as well. The marina looking is a smalll part of a overall play trip too evaluate wether we would like to come spend a winter here.

Thanks very much to everyone and especially to the TF'ers that offered to show us around. We're off to the zoo today after a nice marina walk. We might look at a couple of other marinas before we head out, but we've got a great favorable impression of the area and are confident that if we decide to park our boat in this area we could find a great marina that fits Kevin annd Lisas style.

Here's a photo from our patio at the Kona Kai (I'm off to buy lottery tickets )
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote