The new boat bicycle!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just saw this product featured on Shark Tank tonight and thought the same thing. It sells for $1800 USD, goes 12.5 MPH top speed and has a 10 mile range.

It looks compact and light enough to easily handle a pair onboard a small trawler without the need for a davit. I looked up the specs and it weighs 27 lbs and has a weight capacity of 325 lbs! . It looks like it might take some concentration to operate, unlike a Segway, but I'd like to ride one to know.

http://focusdesigns.com/2014/09/self-balancing-unicycle-in-san-francisco/

I've seen people scooting around the streets of San Francisco on the Airwheel - similar but without the seat:

Airwheel_electric one wheel_1 _one wheel scooter_electric unicycle_electric scooter_2-wheeled electric scooter_self-balance unicycle!

Airwheel-img12.jpg

Very cool, but for me it won't replace our traditional folding bikes. We used our bikes a lot last summer cruising the ICW. A traditional bike doesn't break down or run out of power, though my wife may contest that last part. Plus a bike if outfitted can carry almost a grocery cart full.

We have a pair of Montague folding bicycles. We like them because hey unfold to full size bikes, no little tires. A tad on the heavier side, but there's no where we can't ride them wether street or trail. Don't see us trading them.

Got tired of replacing rusty bikes, bought two of these (Trek District).... belt drive, carbon fiber and aircraft aluminum nothing to rust, incredibly light and rides smooth as silk.

Attachments

• trek.jpg
    trek.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 533
Got tired of replacing rusty bikes, bought two of these (Trek District).... belt drive, carbon fiber and aircraft aluminum nothing to rust, incredibly light and rides smooth as silk.
Boatpoker those are nice . Do they have a three speed or more internal rear hub? It's almost like an automatic transmission right ?

Last edited:
Boatpoker those are nice . Do they have a three speed or more internal rear hub? It's almost like an automatic transmission right ?

Single speed, no gears (less weight, no gear rust, sprockets are plastic) but incredibly easy to pedal. We have no problems going up hill

Looks pricey, how much?

We bought a fold up bike for the trawler...3 speed w/coaster brakes. I don't ever remember taking it ashore? It ended up in the shop when the trawler was sold. Then poking around on eBay I stumbled on a little motor and even tho I had no real use for it, decided that little motor would be perfect for the bike.
One More Time Around: Fold Up Power Bike
So now I have a motorized fold up bike taking up space in the shop.

If you're going to stick with a full size bike also look at the new Priority bike: Home page

Also Belt Drive, aluminum, 3 spd Hub trans etc. . Just picked one up for the wife for home use and very nice quality. With my 28' I really need a folder... Probably a Dahon Mariner or Uno. Lots of options out there from $150 and up. Do a google or Amazon search and read the reviews to see what's out there!

Last edited:

My local dealer can not seem to order them

I think the Trek District model that boatpoker shows is a 2013 (and/or previous) model, maybe no longer available. The Trek site doesn't have much of a search engine, so looking for features like "belt drive" isn't really possible (I think).

-Chris

I think the Trek District model that boatpoker shows is a 2013 (and/or previous) model, maybe no longer available. The Trek site doesn't have much of a search engine, so looking for features like "belt drive" isn't really possible (I think).

-Chris
Think you may be right I called the Trek dealer near the marina in Sarasota they found one the same from another dealer but they also said they had 2 of the newer models in and that they did not show on the website

I will be down Next sat and will go take a look

Back
Top Bottom