View Single Post
Old 12-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I'd suggest an Albin 26'.

They cost about 20K and when you'r done w her you'll sell her to the next guy for basically the same.

They never have structurally failed decks, cabins or hulls. They have no wood to varnish. They have a quick roll that can be very uncomfortable at times though but are very seaworthy. I'm a member of an Albin club w about 50 26' boats and I've never heard of a boat lost due to lack of seaworthyness or capsize.

Many do have old engines (quite a few seawater called) but that's about all you need to be wary of. There's always several for sale. I'd advise a repowered boat w most engines except perhaps a Sole. I recall them having some problems but it's only w the marineazation .. not the base engine. They are (I think) Mitsubishi. My own engine is a Mitsubishi .. a very good engine.

I have a friend who fished an Albin out of Juneau and I had an Albin too. There was an Albin on the south floats in Craig .. a call to the harbor master would reveal if it was still there. I know of one in Ketchikan and think there are more. So call around SE and see what there is.

All the above said they are small boats but they have almost none of the huge pitfalls you can experience w larger trawlers. If you do get a bigger trawler get all the help you can find picking her out and spending money for that help stands a very good chance of saving you huge amounts fixing rotten decks or cabins and old worn out engines. When we moved to Thorne Bay in 06 we repowered our Willard not wanting a 35 yr old engine out in the remote Alaskan waters. But it's MUCH less costly to buy a repowered boat.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote