Possible name for next boat...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the name of a boat should speak of something special and desirable about the boat. I named one of my boats that was extremely unique a name that advertised her unique design and capabilities.

Some of the names I see on boats say nothing about the boat and are nothing but a joke. Making a boat name into a joke is the ultimate disrespect for the boat, the people that designed and built her and perhaps those that own her. When you name your boat think of something nice to say about her.

As to home port .... there is only one. Where the boat resides. Having nothing to do w where the owner resides. A self centered practice.

Don't be over offended here .. it's just an opinion.

Manyboats I agree in principle.

Some boats are so indistinguishable from others a funny clever name is a plus.

Boat Names

We had a couple of choices for the name of our GB. I wanted to use what my wife said when she learned that the offer had been accepted; "O Sh.t". As previously noted wiser heads prevailed.
So we went with "Amazing Grace", based partly on the story that our granddaughter Grace whispered to me that we needed a bigger boat. She was only 2 months old when she said that and her grandmother was in no position to argue.
Of course there is another origin for the name as well.

Grace is obviously an exceptional granddaughter who well understood the needs of her grandfather at a VERY early age?❗

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Please keep the name suggestions coming. I'm seeking a boat name also. Last boat was named Budds Outlet as 1) it was moored on Budd Inlet on south Puget Sound, and 2) our last name is Budd and the boat was an outlet for me from a stressful job.

Now I am retired and our new to us boat will be a hobby and activity but not a stress relief. I'm enjoying the suggested names being presented. And yes, we should be aware of the sound and impact of a boat name over the VHF. A local boat's name is Oar House. Imagine what that sounds like over VHF.

A good friend of mine had one named "Hellraiser"
Ted

A boat at our marina in FL is named "Keepin' it Wet." Every time I walk passed it, I need to take a Tums. :eek:

Boat Names

Picture = 1,000 words...

I had a contractor friend... Dingy was "Contract" Cruiser was "Change Order"

Attachments

• Boat 2013_9_6.jpg
    Boat 2013_9_6.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 110
Toga! Toga!

We called our boat "Lollygag" because that's what we intend to do. Once our duties here are complete we don't want tight timetables (give us notice if you're getting married!) The boats name describes our behavior and intentions, we can wait for good weather.

Bob is good, Jim is better.

img_293389_0_2cd161116b53c91c0fc14ae9d899c5ca.jpg

Anyone brave (stupid) enough?:hide:

Attachments

• Boat naming.jpg
    Boat naming.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 93
A local boat's name is Oar House. Imagine what that sounds like over VHF.

There's a sailboat running around the south sound called "Filthy Whore". I think they're liveaboards with a couple of kids. Probably not the best boat name for a couple of kids to live on...

We just bought "Yankee 3" and although it isn't an entirely bad name, it doesn't really reflect our feelings. My girlfriend is Jenny, so I thought about that as a new name, but there were too many Forest Gump jokes. She suggested we use the name of a flower, but what flower weighs 35,000 pounds and blows blue deisel smoke out the back? Well, in fact, only one flower really epitomizes that concept. It's called a Titan Aram flower, also called a "corpse flower" or "meat flower", for the smell of rotting flesh emitted from its bloom.
Perfect. M/V TITAN ARAM

I always liked Snafu Maru, but sanity won out and I named her after my lovely First Mate. She used her Cricket to make the letters for the flying bridge. We get lots of compliments about having them there, and being so legible.

Wife chose our name during a fishing trip to Costa Rica. They had a motto Pura Vida Costa Rica, when we returned we named the boat.

Attachments

• PuraVida Card.jpg
    PuraVida Card.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 176
Always wanted to name a boat Jolene due to words in the Dolly Parden song Jolene (don't you take my man just because you can). No, the admiral would not approve. Ken

I know I'm by far the minority when it comes to hailing port convention. My wife and I met in Waikoloa, Hawaii, and that's been the hailing port for our boats.

new name for boat

Despite my business partner's suggestion that we should name our new to us boat Sea-nical-one, because my wife says that I am a cycnic (I am) and have made our grown sons cynics as well (they are), we have decided on Selkie, which in Celtic lore is a seal faerie. Capture a Selkie and bring her ashore, she'll turn into a beautiful maiden who will make a good but somewhat reluctant wife. Given the opportunity to return to sea, she'll not hesitate.
My wife and I are both of Celtic roots.

We had considered "Welcome Passage" before we settled on "Phoenix Hunter", after the names of our grand children. Welcome Passage is between South Thormanby Is. and the mainland. Many fishing boats are named after charted features: "Sans Peur" and "Queens Reach", for example.

I like names that are easily understood on the radio.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Last edited:
How about "Hidden Agenda"- I'm not sure what the agenda would be, but I think it sounds pretty cool?

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

"I'm Kidding" would be one of many last choices.

My brother returned from a trip to FL and saw a boat name that he thought I should use. My first name is Richard and he thought I should use the name "Filthy Rich"

My brother returned from a trip to FL and saw a boat name that he thought I should use. My first name is Richard and he thought I should use the name "Filthy Rich"

I'd confer with the Admiral on that one! :facepalm:

A now retired local state politician named his boat "The Electorate".

When people phoned his office to whinge about something his secretary could honestly say: I'm sorry, he's not available right now he is out in the electorate.

Callers typically thought Ok, he's talking to the folks that voted for him, what a good man!

Of course he was actually out fishing in Moreton Bay.

Last edited:
One of the Sydney-Hobart fleet regular competitors is called "Occasional Coarse Language"

Back
Top Bottom