Old 12-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #19
janice142
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotheadcharters View Post
As a new live-aboard, since June, I plan on taking my boat out more than I did when I wasn't living aboard. I understand the clutter issue but I've maintained a level of semi-readiness to get underway. I turned the 3rd stateroom into a walk-in closet and the only real clutter I have is in the galley and that is all my spices that I cook with. Other than that I find that I do more maintance on board due to being there 24/7. Everything is subjective. What one considers going out a lot compared to another varies greatly.
Hello Knotheadcharters.

For those of us who cook spice jar storage is a point of concern. I look at other galleys of course, and always check for spices, and what the ladies have done with theirs.

On Moonlight Sue (a 40' Hunter) the wife has hers in clips on a bulkhead. She said none have fallen. I don't like dusting so that wouldn't work well for me.

One place online had a spice rack that bolted under the upper lockers (for a RV) but it didn't look like it would fit enough spices for me. The case was beautiful though.

It was essentially a wooden box with the hinged lid bolted to the locker. You unsnapped the latch to access the spices -- it would be quite nice for knives...

Onboard Seaweed mine are kept in a locker under the sink (next to the stove)

Pictures:

and

The most used are of course at the top. I made another spice shelf and the how-to is in this article:
Janice142 article Budget Spice Shelf (costs less than $1)

Good luck.

You're right though: Being prepared to leave means it's far more likely that you will do so. I've been reading, decided I wanted to go and left -- in less than 15 minutes *without* rushing.

It's easy and if I can do it, so too can you.
P.S. - Museum Putty is your friend.

And so too is keeping things put away. In a 23' boat that's a given. I like tidy.

Even though it's Christmas and the tree is out, the base is taped to the dinette table. Even if rocked, that tree is not going any place.

Little things like that make all the difference in the world, and after this many years afloat it's second nature to consider what would happen when the boat moves.

All of us that have been out any length of time start to think that way. I find myself, when visiting dirt dwellers moving items from the edge of a counter. Of course the house won't rock, but 'cha never know.