View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 09:39 PM   #8
Baker
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
I don't think it is a matter of "familiarity breeds contempt". The biggest issue really is....do you take your boat out in the first place???? And you cannot answer that question because you do not own one right now. The vast majority of boats you see in marinas do NOT go out. It is because people had this image of what it is like to own a boat(live on a boat). And reality and that image were too far apart. I will say the boat I lived on for 5 years....I had it for 2 years before I moved onto it. I used the hell out of it in that two years and I continued to use the hell out of it when I lived aboard.

With that said, most liveaboards do not take their boats out very often. One begins to start trying to make their boat home much like the dirt home that they left....and you end up with crap EVERYWHERE. Crap everywhere is not very conducive to taking your boat out. Then getting the boat ready to go out requires that you stow and secure said crap and then it just becomes too much of a hassle and you do take your boat out. If you can limit your crap and keep your boat in a state of "semi-readiness", it would serve you well.

So those are two issues. Will you take your boat out a lot in the first place regardless of being a liveaboard. And will your boat be overcome with crap to the point that it is a PIA to take out.

I will be dead honest with you. I think I took my boat out more when I was a liveaboard. But I do not think that is normal. It is awfully nice to not have to go spend $200 at the grocery store and haul wheelbarrows full of crap down to the boat just to do one measly little overnight. You are already stocked up on food. You already have all of your "crap" with you. You just hit the store to fill in the gaps of food and untie and GO! I loved it!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote