The Worst Job on the Boat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Most folks would state doing anything with the pooper system......maybe:ermm:</SPAN>
</SPAN>
The other day I cleaned my shower sump and just about puked! This my friends is the worst job on the boat!!:eek:</SPAN>

Give me waste water any day. the worst job on a boat is sanding, anything.

I am all about instant gratification once the pile of crap is cleaned up the job is over. done. and i can see what i accomplished.

Sanding on the other hand leads to more sanding and more and more...which eventually leads to painting or varnishing, the second worse job.

Get one of those dollar store stainless sink screens that just sit in the drain of the shower, then empty it in your waste bin after each shower or each day. Then, once a week or so, dump some bleach down the drain. No more puke.

Changing sewer hoses or servicing the holding tank. No question. Although I am presently scraping and washing my bilge, which is a close second.

Put some Vicks on your upper lip when doing those jobs, so you can save your lunch.

Changing sewer hoses or servicing the holding tank. No question.

Yes, indeed! And including clearing/cleaning out any clogs in the sanitation system from the bowl of the toilet on through to the other stinkin' end.

I'm not going to comment on that!

Hard sanding back the entire underwater area, dry,using electric or air sander. Including the flat parts you lie on a plank on your back to sand, sander held above your head. And there`s the sanded material getting everywhere. Soda Strip next time.

Replacing the 20 ft of 1 1/2" aft head hose that was packed solid. I thought I flushed it with the garden hose. Wrong! It just bored a channel through the solids.

Ahhh, Archie gets it. Oh the joy of the poop hose. I love boating!

You just can't beat dealin' with pisscrete as the worst job aboard.

Alaskan SD,

I hated the shower sump cleaning too. I finally bit the bullet and changed the Rule bilge pumps in both showers to Whale Gulpers (model 220). I installed them in the bilge under the showers and cut into the existing plumbing lines and installed the new pumps. Never have to clean hair or gook again. Those pumps will swallow pebbles. If there is hair in the shower I simply hose it into the pump and it's gone. The admiral thanks me every time she showers. Howard

Putting her to bed for the season.

My worse job is any critical system that breaks in the evening and I am not certain I can fix it and make it through the night without problems. What comes to mind is the generator won't work at 8 pm and the battery level is already low. Refrigerator is getting warm and we have a week's worth of food, etc. If it is something I know I can fix or I have a back up for it then its OK.

Poop, smell, dirt I can handle. But lack of electricity, refrigeration, or propulsion on a power boat is nerve racking.

Last edited:
My worse job is any critical system that breaks in the evening and I am not certain I can fix it and make it through the night without problems. What comes to mind is the generator won't work at 8 pm and the battery level is already low. Refrigerator is getting warm and we have a week's worth of food, etc. If it is something I know I can fix or I have a back up for it then its OK.

Poop, smell, dirt I can handle. But lack of electricity, refrigeration, or propulsion on a power boat is nerve racking.
:thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
You just can't beat dealin' with pisscrete as the worst job aboard.

Agree I just replaced the heads and every hose so much pisscrete the boat sat 3/4 higher

one of the hoses i tossed onto the concrete dock and cracked the corner of the dock

Yup, replaced all hoses and rebuilt both pumps on my vacuflush systems. Not as bad as I thought it might be. The stress of not knowing was far worse than the actual work.

Ted

Cleaning and painting the inside portion of the bilge when it is four feet down and 6 inches wide at the bottom.

I get a kick out of the folks with head plumbing nightmares... Believe me, I used to have them too, but not anymore. My 40+ year old boat has a gravity head, which is a toilet on top of a holding tank that uses a bit of freshwater to flush if your 'aim' isn't accurate. There are no hoses or vacuum systems, just a direct drop into the tank.

My worst job is backing the boat into the boatport when I get home. It's that last 20 feet that gets me every time. Here the slippery grass frustrated me no end.
IMAG2844

Here I tagged the boat port supports while not paying attention backing in.
IMAG1158.jpg

Sometimes it's a slam dunk even with another boat in the boatport.
IMAG2923.jpg

I regularly kick myself for planting that tree there 20 years ago.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom