New couple from Maine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mainetrawler

Veteran Member
My husband and I are preparing to sell the house, buy a trawler and move aboard full time. The kids are grown and we are retired. We have narrowed our search down to either a used Nordhavn or Kadey Krogren. We hope to attend the Trawlerfest in Florida in January. We are very excited to finally be able to live the dream next year.

Welcome to the forum! You live in the birth place of my boat :)

Welcome from a fellow Mainiac!

Good Morning and welcome

Welcome from a couple from Castine.

My advice would be to ignore a list of possible boats and manufacturers. Instead, really look at the type of cruising you want to do and the destinations you see yourself going to. Often, that will lead to the perfect boat to meet those needs.

Both manufacturers you're interested in are exceptional. We've given lectures at the annual Krogen rendezvous for the last 4-5 years and have a hundred friends there. I'm also in contact with a good 40 Nordhavn owners. Both are wonderful boats. Both have exceptional capabilities as well as compromises. No boat is perfect.

For example, it might well be that a Fleming would meet your needs better if you wanted less draft and more speed. A Selene, Grand Banks, Marlow, and many others all fall in the neighborhood of your first looking too. There are a tremendous number of great trawlers out there including some custom ones that might fit you perfectly.

If I were looking right now, I'd also consider working with a broker who specializes in trawlers. I especially like Judy Walden (JW Yachts) who has really only done trawlers for about 20 years. Working with her to determine your needs will result in an exceptional fit without running around on your own trying to see different things. The Miami Boat Show would be a great upcoming time to see boats in the Miami and Ft Lauderdale area.

Cheers!

If I were looking right now, I'd also consider working with a broker who specializes in trawlers. I especially like Judy Walden (JW Yachts) who has really only done trawlers for about 20 years.

Cheers!

Judy Waldman.

Didn't want him searching on Walden Pond.

I do echo all you said. There is a wide range of potentially good boats for his purpose of which the two mentioned are certainly among the best.

i think Trawlerfest will be very beneficial as would either the Miami or West Palm Boat show in the spring, but given the choice of just one, I'd tend toward Trawlerfest, but then I'd combine it with some further looking in Fort Lauderdale and Miami.

You're searching for two things. A home. A boat. In one. So it's very important to consider the requirements of both. Where do you want to cruise? How many will be on board? Who is living aboard? How fast do you want to go? How far offshore? Off the beaten path? What is most important? Hundreds of factors as you develop your own personal requirements and then find the boat that best meets them.

Thank you all for your great welcome and advice. We really appreciate it.
We plan on doing close coastal cruising from the Keys up to Maine and Nova Scotia and back again. We would also like to take our two grown children to the Bahamas next Christmas.
All we have seen so far is the Nordhavn 40; we hope to take a lot of the courses at Trawlerfest this coming January and see the used trawlers for sale in that area.
In the meantime we are divesting like crazy. My husband is an experienced boater but I am not; I am spending the Maine winter taking the ABC boating course.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom