Lock for glass sliding windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
"Dragon Lady"
Vessel Make
DeFever 41
Apologies for the horrible photo. Many of you will recognize this little latch - pretty common on boats built in the 80's. And fairly easy to open from the outside! Is there a locking version of this latch available? If not, how would you approach the problem?

Attachments

• Window latch.jpg
    Window latch.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 206
Our Krogen has a rubber tipped stopper on a thumb screw a the top of the window.
Easy to use and impossible to open form outside.

I don't use them anymore, since I don't lock the boat anymore.:eek:

sliding window lock

We use a small (3/8 in.) dowel cut to length in bottom track. Simple,cheep, and don't see how it can be jimmied from outside.

Our GB has a similar lock as Dauntless, except the thumb screw is at the bottom of the window. The thumbscrew we have gets in the way of the blinds and could result in a sore head or worse if one leaned back a little too quickly. I was thinking of replacing these with the locks on Dragon Lady until I read his post, hadn't thought about the ease of access from outside. I like the dowel idea.

dimer: Thanks for the idea, but these rely on the end of the toothed metal blade hooking around the exposed end of the stationary glass pane.

We use a small (3/8 in.) dowel cut to length in bottom track. Simple,cheep, and don't see how it can be jimmied from outside.

The problem with the latches on Dragon Lady is that anyone wanting to break in can slide a flexible knife blade between the two panes of glass and lever the latch into the open position. I fear that a dowel laying flat in the window track could be prized up with a similar tool.

Wxx3 and bnoft: The rubber tipped stopper on a thumb screw sounds interesting - who sells them?

Wxx3 and bnoft: The rubber tipped stopper on a thumb screw sounds interesting - who sells them?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perko sells them or used to. I have a bunch. Take a look and see if they still do.

I modified mine with longer bolts, ss, but the stock ones worked fine too.

Perko still makes them.

Perko 0937

Perko 0934

If you have trouble finding them, send me a PM.

I liked Dimer's idea. We use those locks on several glass cases in the store.

I guess you're worried that someone could slip something between the panes and flip up the latch. Might be able to dislodge a dowel that way also, but it would be a lot harder.

Can the display case locks be made to operate without keys? I have the Grand Banks knobs similar to the perkos and hate them. Want a flatter profile lock... Not jimmy able like the dowel or Flip style latch. At least the Chris Craft style ones had vertical thumb screws to stop a jimmy. Hmmm

"Can the display case locks be made to operate without keys?"
I don't think so. That would be nice for this application.

Attachments

• Window latch-2.jpg
    Window latch-2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 151
These are better than the GB knobs but blinds might still be tough. The blob would stop bottom of blinds from reaching the lower trim flush. I need to invent new ones.

Back
Top Bottom