Go anywhere you want

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

No Mast

Guru
Vessel Name
Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Make
Selene 53
If you were granted one wish to move your boat, instantaneously, to anywhere in the world (and back if so desired). Where would you choose?

Pics of locations are encouraged to help make your point.

phil-MMAP-md.png

The med....

I am with Steve, The Med it would be as it opens up such a huge and varied cruising ground.

Double ditto, especially the Adriatic, Greek Islands, etc..

Wilmington, NC so I could get out of this bee hive apartment complex and start living on the Misfit Toy...again

Portofino, Italy

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_0097.jpg
    Copy of IMG_0097.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 113
  • Copy of IMG_0089.jpg
    Copy of IMG_0089.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 104
The PNW, with the understanding there is a return "ticket" back to the SF estuary.

Spitsbergen. (Not in December though.)

SAM_8242.JPG

img_291667_0_9559d8402f8244fee3df7d4f54f72e83.jpg

Palau,
Some of the best diving, people, weather.

One step further.. on a N57

HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• palau.jpg
    palau.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Limestone_Island_Palau.jpg
    Limestone_Island_Palau.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
It really depends on what you're looking for. The med would be high on my list, but it's a big body of water with long distances between some really cool ports.

I lived in the Philippines for 3 years and though I didn't do any cruising, I think it would have some appeal. But political issues would be something to consider there.

I would love to see the fjords of Norway and spend some time in the San Juan Islands of the PNW, but the limited cruising months would have to be taken into account.

We cruised the Chesapeake for part of the fall and loved it. There are so many places to go and see you can spend years there and not see it all. And it's so accessible and safe for just about any boat. But like any place else it has it's drawbacks. Flyin Low is on the hard on the western shore until the winter is over.

Our home port is the Tampa Bay area. When I think of all the cool places it would be nice to go, I still love this area and am glad this is where we will be. Year round boating, nice weather almost all the time, safe inland water areas to cruise, whats not to like, as long as the air-conditioner works.

Tim: You gotta pick one location :)

So far I had always thought Palau was the one place, but the link to Marlborough sound is causing me to rethink it!

I would have 2, the Great Lakes during summer and the Tennessee River or gulf during the winter. I really want to make a return trip to the lakes I really enjoyed my time there this spring and would like to spend a few months exploring the area. Then going south on the Tennessee River for the colder months , maybe wander down to the gulf for awhile. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1418926203.254033.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1418926339.604388.jpg

Drove a submarine in the Med, didn't leave anything there I need to go back and look for. Live in the PNW so I can vouch that it is AWESOME cruising. Would have to be New Zealand for me (not that far a hop to Australia).

Marty.....................

Mogadishu, just kidding!

Attachments

• Corner of Mogadishu harbor 1978.jpg
    Corner of Mogadishu harbor 1978.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 82
A bucketlist item for us is to anchor in a cove next to a glacier, like m/v Dirona did here:
IMG_7363%20(1024x768).jpg

A bucketlist item for us is to anchor in a cove next to a glacier
Here's a reasonably accessible place to do that: the Reid Inlet toward the NW end of Glacier Bay. We often anchor there on a GB trip, and then head further north to ogle the fancier and more active, but un-anchorable, Johns Hopkins and Margerie glaciers.

33IMG____%2520670.jpg

35IMG____%2520690.jpg

35IMG____%2520674.jpg

IMG_4194.jpg

IMG_4195.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a reasonably accessible place to do that: the Reid Inlet toward the NW end of Glacier Bay. We often anchor there on a GB trip, and then head further north to ogle the fancier and more active, but un-anchorable, Johns Hopkins and Margerie glaciers.

This is exactly the type of anchorage that we have in mind. Truly beautiful pictures.

Unfortunately it's 1000 miles from my home port as the crow flies... probably nearly twice that if I routed a navigable path. :eek:

The Gulf of St-Laurent in eastern Canada... that is where I learned to sail and I can't wait to go back cruising... Short season but well worth

Attachments

• St-Laurent.pdf
    20.7 KB · Views: 74
Portofino, Italy

Probably the most beautiful place I've ever been. The pictures don't even come close to doing it justice. I'd opt for the Med as well.

This is exactly the type of anchorage that we have in mind. Truly beautiful pictures.

Unfortunately it's 1000 miles from my home port as the crow flies... probably nearly twice that if I routed a navigable path. :eek:

Yes few seem to realize just how far it really is. We went from LaConner to Ketchikan in 22 days w one weather day out. We wern't dallying like we were cruising. That's why I titled my Alaska trip threads "A Long way Home". And at 6 knots it's a bit longer yet. But longer lasting is ... more fun.

Love your Thi pic Craig and would like to see that red powered canoe up close.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom