Ponderosa 42' CHB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Budds Outlet

I'm considering a 1985 42' Ponderosa Sun Deck made by CHP. I am curious if any of you have this boat or its twins, the President 42' or the CHB 42'.

I am interested in any input but I'd really like to know if this hull is a good ride or if it rolls and need stabilizers. Is this a sea kindly boat.

The boat also has large windows and I recognize that it is not made for ocean crossings. I am curious however if this boat at 7-10 kts is a realistic contender for a cruise from Olympia to Skagway?

Thanks for any input.

Ponderosas are a pretty solid boat but in being 30 years old a very tight survey should be performed. I chartered one many years ago and it did just fine in PNW waters. For Alaska insure good diesel heat. Also the fuel tanks deserve a good inspection. Good luck.

The hull appears the same as our Present 42. Built at the Chung Hwa yard. We have had the boat about 8 years. Made a few trips to Kemah Texas and back- about 350 miles. With the full keel and flared bow I consider her to be as capable as most. The Admiral doesn't care for the ride on the flybridge on days with 10-15 mph winds and beam seas. Don't say that I blame her.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Thanks Sunchaser and Forklift. The boat does have the espar diesel heat and I will get a thorough hull and mechanical survey. I was wondering how the upper helm would be in a beam sea. I think the lower helm would be a good place when there is a beam sea.

what engines are in the one your considering

The boat I am considering has twin Perkins Range 4 200 with 1200 hrs. on them. From what I can find it looks like they are 185 hp.

I've been told that parts are available and mechanics are available to work on them.

I'd be real interested to know what the fuel burn rate or mpg that I could expect at 7-8 kts.

We have a 1986 Present (CHB) 42 Sundeck with 200 HP Perkins Range 4 6354Turbo's. Same engine as the boat you are considering. Our burn rate is 4.5 GPH at 9 knots. Be sure to have your mechanic check the manicoolers....known problem with the Range 4 Perkins....Perkins no longer sources these parts and you are at the mercy of the aftermarket ($5K per). Check stamp on injection pump for WOT RPM #'s.....these numbers vary per setup. Mine is 2800 WOT no load, 2400 loaded. Lots of owners have over prop'd this setup so don't be surprised if you don't see correct wot #'s. Ours had 27/27's and would only achieve 1800 loaded. Installed 24/22 Dyna Quads and numbers came back to within spec. Factory spec props were 25/22 Three Blades. Hull's tend to have blister problems so make sure to have hull sounded thoroughly. If you would like to discuss further feel free to PM me and I'll give you a call. CHEERS!

Troubador, Its interesting that you mention the manicooler. The day before the sea trial the broker calls to say they had discovered a water leak on the outboard side of the port engine. A mechanic was called and it was determined that the portside manicooler needed replacing and so that is being completed. It turns out the starboard manicooler had been replaced last year. I don't know where it is coming from but its being shipped in from somewhere. I'm glad that is one thing I will not need to pay for or deal with in the near future.

I am curious how folks with this style of boat approach docking without assistance from the dock. There will be just the Admiral and I and I will probably be the one at the helm so she will be the one getting off on the dock. Most docks in our area are about the height of the swimstep but getting to the swimstep requires climbing down a ladder from the sundeck. Not particularly easy as the lower rungs become increasingly further inboard.

Has anyone with this style of boat been able to source a ladder for the side deck that fits in the two holes located at the side deck gate?

Greetings,
Mr. BO. I know nothing about docking in the PNW where, bullrails rather than cleats seem to be used for tie-off but I would think either you or your Admiral trying to step off a non-secured/moving boat from some height wouldn't be the best idea.

Greetings,
Mr. BO. I know nothing about docking in the PNW where, bullrails rather than cleats seem to be used for tie-off but I would think either you or your Admiral trying to step off a non-secured/moving boat from some height wouldn't be the best idea.

Yes, the side decks are too high to jump from. It seems like the swimstep is the only logical answer to the question. I put the Admiral ashore from the swimstep of a 29 foot express cruiser for nine years but we are older and this is a much larger boat to maneuver.

BTW, I detest the bullrails as they leave splinters in your dock lines.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom