Cuba in the Near Future?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

THD

Guru
I just saw a news flash that Obama will pretty quickly normalize relations with Cuba including resolving financial and travel issues. I presume that will mean that Cuba will be open again for US cruisers. That will be a very cool thing. A lot of cruisers will be heading that way.

I would agree. It'll be a far trip from Seattle for you, but you can raft up with us when you get there :)

hmmm.. maybe I leave palm beach and head back south

Very cool developments!

Still doubt Bacardi will get its distillery back. Will continue to get our rum from Puerto Rico where it has been making rum for the last 50 years or so.

the full press release says that travel for tourism will still be restricted. maybe i misunderstood?

Still doubt Bacardi will get its distillery back. Will continue to get our rum from Puerto Rico where it has been making rum for the last 50 years or so.

Amen...

Greetings,
Bacardi rum is rotgut but those Cohiba Robustos are a nice smoke. IF travel and trade restrictions are relaxed, let's hope the mafia is kept out of the country this time.

This is long overdue. I hope we can all put this on our cruising bucket list.

Last edited by a moderator:
I smoked a lot of Cuban cigars my brother brought back from either Spain or Venezuela and I only found one I liked. I prefer Dominican with a Connecticut wrapper. With a Scotch, single malt of course.

My son spent some time at Gitmo doing IT work. The pics he sent home portray another tropical paradise.

A friend spent some time in Cuba on some sort of language immersion/education project. He was not impressed at first and wanted to come home. Said everything is as advertised - a run-down, 3rd world hellhole. But it grew on him the longer he stayed.

I wish I could have visited before the Revolution - from what I understand, it was like Vegas and New Orleans on steroids. At least for us monied gringos anyhow. Not so much for the locals.

I smoked a lot of Cuban cigars my brother brought back from either Spain or Venezuela and I only found one I liked. I prefer Dominican with a Connecticut wrapper. With a Scotch, single malt of course.

100%:thumb:

I hear Cuba has a lot of nice beaches. Wonder how the Cuban Americans are taking this...

Cuba has been on Lena's bucket list. We better hurry up though, she wants to get there before they open up a McDonald's. :) (She's not counting the one at Guantanamo Bay)

I'm sure there will be those who feel very strongly both ways, especially close to our home in South Florida. For many, it's a very personal issue. However, it gradually is becoming a little less so as a new generation comes along that doesn't have direct memory of the events that led to the embargo.

In practical terms, the lifting of the trade embargo will definitely benefit South Florida businesses. Overall it will benefit the people of Cuba and the US. We have products they'd like to buy but being able to afford them is limited until they well us products we want. The purpose of the embargo had long ago ceased to exist.

In terms of travel and this is where trawlers are involved, I didn't understand the realities until moving to South Florida. Floridians travel to Cuba all the time and take money. Travel from the US is an important contributor to the Cuban economy. The fact of having to go through a third country only increases the cost and inconvenience. So, overall the travel restriction is definitely not 100%. Now Cubans don't have the same ability to travel here. This leads also to a terrible business of smuggling of athletes. They ultimately reach the US but at great risk and having committed a large part of their future income to the gangs that assisted them. Anytime something is pushed underground, protection by the law disappears. On the other hand travel by boat has been restricted and just like the athletes coming this way, those going to Cuba by boat have subjected themselves to significant risk. If you're working around the law, it doesn't protect you.

The embargo came about in 1960. That's ten years before I was born. The average age in the US is 37, but you'd have to be 54 to have been alive then and probably 70 to remember the time. This was a national security issue that no longer exists.

It seems only natural to change. Otherwise it's like the Hatfields and McCoys where the current generation has no understanding of the original issues. I think gradually you could see Cuba again become a great cruising ground. South Floridians go to the Bahamas all the time, but those desiring to go to Cuba if equivalent resources were there for tourists could be huge.

I heard it once said that all that was keeping the Embargo was that Fidel Castro was still alive. Even though he's relatively inactive today, he remains an issue for many. Their families suffered at what they would say "his hands." They took a treacherous trip here by boat. But by sheer aging of the population the group opposed to "trading with Castro" has diminished.

I have Cuban friends. Many go there several times a year and are close to their family. At this time the reason for the embargo is long gone and so it does harm but lacks purpose.

I look forward to the time Cuba is another cruising ground. One of the benefits of limiting Presidents to two terms is that sometimes they feel more free to take care of long term problems that might be politically difficult. As a businessman I look forward to importing product from Cuban factories. I import today from far less friendly countries. And perhaps that's the point. The Cuban people and American people like each other and have always done so.

Again as boaters the potential is one of the best places we could go. Reestablished as a tourist center. it's likely to be one of the most pleasant places to go.

Well said BandB, however I do remember watching the television during the Cuban missile crisis and as a lad of about 10 I was scared to death. Thankfully my children have no memory of that and almost no knowledge of it. The Cuban people are the ones that have suffered and hopefully will now benefit from normalized relations.

Well said BandB, however I do remember watching the television during the Cuban missile crisis and as a lad of about 10 I was scared to death. Thankfully my children have no memory of that and almost no knowledge of it. The Cuban people are the ones that have suffered and hopefully will now benefit from normalized relations.

I grew up in NC in the 70's so had very little awareness of Cuban issues. We did some remodeling before we moved into our house here and there was one person doing carpentry and woodwork who was an absolute master. Turns out he was one of the many boat people. He and two other guys left together. It was an amazing story to hear first hand rather than just read. We have tendencies to say, "I can imagine what that was like" when in reality we can't imagine it. I can't imagine sneaking away on a little skiff with a small outboard. My tenders are more seaworthy. And no charts or anything, just aim and go. There are a lot of families in South Florida now trying to get parents there. Father deceased, mother can no longer take care of herself, need to bring her here situations.

Thank god this wasn't posted in OTDE, there would have been a very different discussion.

FWIW, I agree that the original reasons for the sanctions are now long gone and it is time to normalise relations.The US trades with, China , Vietnam and other communist governments, so why not Cuba, you never know it may facilitate change within the country.

It would be interesting to see how the large Cuban population in Florida responds to normalising relations.

Curious if the human rights situation has improved in Cuba. Was under the impression that part of the reason we hadn't normalized relations was do to their horrible treatment of some of their citizens. Has that improved recently?

Ted

It would be interesting to see how the large Cuban population in Florida responds to normalising relations.

The reaction is mixed as expected. The majority are in favor of normalizing but there is part of the exile community that remains very hard line. Republicans upset, Democrats happy. One moderate comment reflected on how difficult this had to be for the exile community but added that they imagined even more difficult for the Cuban government. In Cuba it's seen by some as the government giving in.

The majority see it as time to happen but then there are some for whom it is just a very personal topic.

Curious if the human rights situation has improved in Cuba. Was under the impression that part of the reason we hadn't normalized relations was do to their horrible treatment of some of their citizens. Has that improved recently?

Ted

I think that relates to dissenters perhaps and while their tolerance is still low I'm not aware of widespread problems, at least when compared to other trading partners.

I have mixed feelings about this subject. I stand to make some money if the embargo is lifted. On the other hand I've seen the rafts that the people of Cuba use to try to escape their island paradise. I don't want to visit a country where the citizens are literally dying to leave. I have too many Cuban friends for this to be an easy choice.

You have to keep in mind many of the early refugees had lands and other possesions confiscated or family members brought to the "paredon" & firing squad for not being in favor of the castro regime.

In time, but nothing announced today that would allow for tourist visits.

From USA Today:

According to the White House, authorized travelers can get general licenses if they are traveling for the following reasons: "(1) family visits; (2) official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments, and certain intergovernmental organizations; (3) journalistic activity; (4) professional research and professional meetings; (5) educational activities; (6) religious activities; (7) public performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions, and exhibitions; (8) support for the Cuban people; (9) humanitarian projects; (10) activities of private foundations or research or educational institutes; (11) exportation, importation, or transmission of information or information materials; and (12) certain export transactions that may be considered for authorization under existing regulations and guidelines."

Note: It says nothing about Americans who want to take a beach vacation.

Dominican with Maduro wrapper. Dancing Stag single malt. Distilled 24 Aug 1994. 96 of 201 bottles. I'm very happy in my work.:thumb: My Cuban friends are very much apposed to this proposal by Obama for obvious reasons.

Greetings,
One has to remember that the embargo was started 50 years ago and as mentioned, time to move on. This will be an economic, political and emotional change in relations and as long as cool heads prevail it could well be a win/win situation. Several former "enemy" nations are now our trading partners and in some cases our allies. I suspect we DO live in interesting times.
Oops to slow in typing..."Beach vacations" could come under heading #8) Support for the Cuban people ($$ into the local economy). Somebody will figure a way around issues to do with vacationing American tourists. Heck I know several of my friends who have flown to Canada and from there to Cuba and had a great time. No problems what-so-ever.
Mr. Tonto. OK, I'm slow but why would your Cuban friends be opposed to better relations with the US?

Last edited:
As I understand it, a few changes can be made by the executive branch, such as establishing an embassy, etc. But major changes in the embargo would require a change of law through the legislature. So probably no changes in our travel restrictions. Doubtful anything will move through Congress any time soon...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom