Thanks for the great advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaronupnorth

Hi all,I wanted to give a quick thanks to this forum for the great advice. This is by far the friendliest boat forum online and the advice is great.
After a few posts and pms from you I've decided that a trawler is probably not the best fit for me for now and we have decided to go with a re-done Uniflite Mega 28' (pending a marine and engine survey).
I will continue to live my trawler dreams vicariously through the forum until such a vessel fits my life.
Aaron

I have to agree- this forum is a gold mine!!! We just bought our trawler about 8 weeks ago and this site has been a tremendously helpful resource!
Sounds like it assisted you as well in picking the right boat and it doesn't matter if it's a trawler or a go fast or whatever it is- the important thing is getting to be out on the water with family and friends enjoying life!

Speaking for the forum.

*Not a problem. Leave a quarter by the phone.
Y'all come back now ya hear.* Or just stick around. *lots of time.

SD

I agree Aaron this forum is priceless. It's the first place I go to for advice and has always been right on.

Good luck on your purchase. I am in the process of selling my 28' Uniflyte Salty Dog,which I have owned since 1988. They are well built boats and excellent sea boats.

John

Hi all, I put a pic of my non-trawler on my profile! Hopefully one day I will have a lovely trawler on there but for now this is the boat!
Aaron

aaronupnorth wrote:

Hi all,
I wanted to give a quick thanks to this forum for the great advice. This is by far the friendliest boat forum online and the advice is great.
After a few posts and pms from you I've decided that a trawler is probably not the best fit for me for now and we have decided to go with a re-done Uniflite Mega 28' (pending a marine and engine survey).
I will continue to live my trawler dreams vicariously through the forum until such a vessel fits my life.
Aaron
Hi Aaron, that could be a great boat for you.* It looks like the 28 mega.* The mega being for larger accomodations.* I had a 1973 28' flybridge sedan.* Same hull.*Owned it until 1981.* Great boat.* The structure was extremely strong.* They have a very fine, deep forefoot, and a modified V in the stern.* That can make her tender in a bow down position.* When running inlets keep the bow up, or it will tend to bow steer and sheer off coming down the front of a wave.

A dealer for a competitive line of boats was fishing a tournament off Morehead City, NC with me.* On that day he said that he didn't have a boat in inventory that would not have come apart.* The Uniflite was tight as ever.

Be safe and enjoy your new boat.*

Good eye! It is a Uniflite Mega. It's in good shape, but since I've got it on the hard at the moment I am doing a bunch of winter projects on the boat at the moment.....eliminating 70's shag carpet and the like!
Cheers,
Aaron

Aaron,

While you have it on the hard, study the hull shape really well.* Compare it to others that maybe out of the water.* The Uniflite does not handle like a deep V or most modified V shapes.* It has an extremely soft ride in a head sea.* The reverse chines do a good job of knocking down spray.* It will track well in a following sea with the stern deep in the water and bow up.* Once you are familiar with running it, it will be second nature to you.* What is the power?

It has twin Merc 302's (some had 350's), so it has adequate power but is not gentle at the pump. I had noticed how different the hull shape was when I pulled it, a couple of friends of mine have had Uniflites and both gave me the same advice as you, basically takes a bit of time to learn and then it is a fairly forgiving and safe hull.

Back
Top Bottom