Nightmares... of a new trawler owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyrcooler

Vessel Make
Mainship 390
Well... the keys finally exchanged hands yesterday. The day couldn't have been more beautiful on the west coast with crystal clear skies and calm seas. A short 45 minute cruise up the coast to put her to bed at an interim marina until we can move her to her new home port. After a quick run to West Marine for a couple items, a "to-go" order of food - we settled down on the bridge to eat and enjoy the sunset. Ah... this is what we dream of and the justification of the past month's worth of stress; and the huge hole in our savings account.

Too soon it was time to close up and head for the long drive home. A final walk through. Double check all the switches on the panel. Check bilge. The locking of the doors. Checking all the lines. Adjusting the lines that were less than perfect. Re securing a couple bumpers. Rinsing her off. Checking the shoreline. Re checking the docklines. Again. Back on board. Unlock the door. Look inside. Just in case. Recheck the panel. Close door. Relock. Wife reminding me we need to get home. Sigh. Walk up dock. Look back to reassure myself she isn't sinking. Head for home.

During the three hour drive I mentioned that I probably should have checked the bilge one more time. My wife politely looked away when she rolled her eyes. We're soulmates. I know what she is thinking. :angel:

Further contemplation. Maybe we should have arranged for grandma to stay all night with the kids so we could stay on the boat. Just in case. Wife didn't even look up from web surfing on her phone. Only a mumbled "uh-huh". And a pat on the arm.

At home, I finally passed out around midnight. Less than an hour later I was startled awake. I should have checked the bilge. Again. Thoughts raced as I stared at the clock. What is the capability of those 3 bilge pumps? I should read up on that.

I must have fallen asleep, because now the clock says 0300. The WATER HEATER! It was off, right? I mentally replayed the admonishment from the PO regarding don't turn it on until you were sure it was full of water. Watching the clock again. It's ok. She's insured. Just relax. Hmmm... I wonder if there is an exemption for stupid first time owners? Need to check the policy after the sun comes up.

0600. Awake again. Mind racing. Hmmm. It's only a 3 hour drive to get there. Seriously. This is worse than having a baby. :whistling:

This is normal. Right?

Last edited:
Checklist for leaving the boat? I mean literally, a paper one? :) You could look at it at 3 a.m. and be reassured. Or take photos when you leave, using the cell phone camera, of the switches in the right position, knots tied, etc.

I think fretting after a big investment is pretty normal.

Put the checklist on your soulmate's phone. That way she can be a bigger part of your drive home...

Totally normal, it will subside over time. The good thing about having this paranoia is that you will be a great conscientious boat owner! Congrats! The dock master at our marina walks the docks every morning and listens out for bilge pumps, water flowing, and waterlines on boats.

We have a written, laminated checklist for the basic to-dos on the boat. One side has the "pre-start" list and the other has the "before going home" list. We use it every time despite having had our fairly simple cruiser for over 16 years now. It's something we brought over from our flying, and we have never had (to my memory) a "did we do this" thought after leaving the boat.

We keep the list just inside the main cabin door secured to the window next to the helm with one of those suction cup paper clamp things.

We live 100 miles from it and we realized within days of taking delivery of the boat in 1998 that an aircraft-type checklist would make things a lot less worrisome.

Last edited:
I'm sure we have all been there, It usuallly takes me a couple of walks back from the car to check or bring something that popped up in my mind.
Congrats on the new boat!

I have a startup/shutdown list that I laminated, glad to email a copy if you want.

I have 2 list in my iPhone in the notes, #1 is when I get to the boat and #2 is when I leave the boat. I liveaboard 9 months of the year since I retired and the lists are handier than when I was a weekender. I haven't yet but I should include 2 additions, 1 on summarization and another on winterizing. I haven't forgotten anything yet but having all the steps on a list should help to keep that record intact.

Well... the keys finally exchanged hands yesterday. The day couldn't have been more beautiful on the west coast with crystal clear skies and calm seas. A short 45 minute cruise up the coast to put her to bed at an interim marina until we can move her to her new home port. After a quick run to West Marine for a couple items, a "to-go" order of food - we settled down on the bridge to eat and enjoy the sunset. Ah... this is what we dream of and the justification of the past month's worth of stress; and the huge hole in our savings account.

Too soon it was time to close up and head for the long drive home. A final walk through. Double check all the switches on the panel. Check bilge. The locking of the doors. Checking all the lines. Adjusting the lines that were less than perfect. Re securing a couple bumpers. Rinsing her off. Checking the shoreline. Re checking the docklines. Again. Back on board. Unlock the door. Look inside. Just in case. Recheck the panel. Close door. Relock. Wife reminding me we need to get home. Sigh. Walk up dock. Look back to reassure myself she isn't sinking. Head for home.

During the three hour drive I mentioned that I probably should have checked the bilge one more time. My wife politely looked away when she rolled her eyes. We're soulmates. I know what she is thinking. :angel:

Further contemplation. Maybe we should have arranged for grandma to stay all night with the kids so we could stay on the boat. Just in case. Wife didn't even look up from web surfing on her phone. Only a mumbled "uh-huh". And a pat on the arm.

At home, I finally passed out around midnight. Less than an hour later I was startled awake. I should have checked the bilge. Again. Thoughts raced as I stared at the clock. What is the capability of those 3 bilge pumps? I should read up on that.

I must have fallen asleep, because now the clock says 0300. The WATER HEATER! It was off, right? I mentally replayed the admonishment from the PO regarding don't turn it on until you were sure it was full of water. Watching the clock again. It's ok. She's insured. Just relax. Hmmm... I wonder if there is an exemption for stupid first time owners? Need to check the policy after the sun comes up.

0600. Awake again. Mind racing. Hmmm. It's only a 3 hour drive to get there. Seriously. This is worse than having a baby. :whistling:

This is normal. Right?

First Congrats

Yes the part that is not normal is I think your to wake up at 15 after the hour

you will find a system that works for you wether paper or digital list and when that fails call the dock master and of course get on here and share your stress with us these guys are the best learning tool on the internet especially for someone like me ( not the brightest sometimes)

Congrats
And YES, this is normal.
Do like Marin suggested and make a Pre-flight and Post Flight Check List.
I am most guilty of doing things by habit and then not remembering doing it.
My shop was typical. Most times I could never remember locking the door. I would head home and 5 minutes later be turning around heading back only to find the door was locked. I had a shelf unit just outside my office and right next to the door. I posted my "Good Night List" so I could see it as I was closing the door. It had listed things like all lights out, exhaust fan off, compressor off, etc, But locking the door - I could never remember.

Welcome and congrats. You definitely need to live aboard as quickly as possible. Then you will be able to get up in the middle of the night to check things. BTW, did you turn off the domestic water pump? You should have a high water alarm so you can wonder if you left it on or not.

BTW, I always sleep in the engine room and set my clock to wake me every 30 minutes to check things out. I set it every 15 minutes at anchor because, I'm embarrassed to say I have the wrong one for sure.

All is normal, relax and enjoy the ride. You have great experiences ahead. Speaking of heads---oh never mind, you'll find out for yourself. Good luck, Howard

Congratulations. You're as normal as anyone can possibly be that owns a boat.

The written list will help make it all routine. And even then a list is helpful.

P.S. - We want pictures.

Ha! I woke up the other night at 4:30am wondering if I should have turned off the battery charger last time I was on the boat. I've owned mine for a couple of months now.
Get used to the feeling!

Lets hear some details about the new boat.

Congrats!

It's normal.

Attachments

• sinking rocna.jpg
    sinking rocna.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 868
Congrats on boat purchase!!

Make the two lists mentioned. Best to have printed laminated one on board for entry and one for exit. OK on phone too... But... When you first board and then leave it is great to have printed copy in big letters for instant review - Of What Cha Gotta Do!

Make friends with the nearest live aboard and any local owners tied up near you. Leave them your contact info and let them know it's okay to go on board if they see anything unusual. I have many out of state/town dock neighbors and do this for them.

Congratulations on the new boat!

After a few months living aboard and slepping like bilge Bob you will be fine

Attachments

• Bilgebob.jpg
    Bilgebob.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 133
Make friends with the nearest live aboard and any local owners tied up near you. Leave them your contact info and let them know it's okay to go on board if they see anything unusual. I have many out of state/town dock neighbors and do this for them.

Great idea- we always try to do this.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

In addition to a checklist as noted by others. we put little stickers on all AC and DC circuits that should remain on when leaving the boat. A quick visual look at the electrical panel "lining up" red lights with stickers makes the last check a breeze. Light on and no sticker=turn it off!

It is new baby:facepalm: Just accept it.

and Bob is right on; having a neighbor with your contact info, will give you a lot of piece of mind.

No News is Good news:whistling:

I placed a small sign in my window with our names and numbers to call if anything looks or sounds wrong. It's come in handy a couple of times when a GPS was left on and was alarming under the covered slip and a CO detector decided to sound of for no reason whatsoever. Keeping a set of keys hidden but accessible to a dock neighbor is helpful in saving you a long drive to the marina.

I felt the same way when I purchased mine. Short story...boat was surveyed before purchase on the hard and in the water, I would consider myself pretty compitent mechanically and I spent many hours crawling around in the bilge, my friend as well did the same...blah blah blah. The bilge house had a two inch long split right before it went into the thru hull. Sure some water came out and you could see it when cycling the pump. Little did I know until about two weeks of ownership that most of the water was going up the hose and coming right back down on top of the wood decking the fuel tanks are on and all the alternator regulator wiring. This is what I would describe as AWESOME. We do worry for a reason and it is all summed up right there. The first few weeks are the best and worst of ownership, quite a bittersweet fealing. Plus you pay insurance for a reason, get some sleep :)

Checklist for leaving the boat? I mean literally, a paper one? :) You could look at it at 3 a.m. and be reassured. Or take photos when you leave, using the cell phone camera, of the switches in the right position, knots tied, etc.

I think fretting after a big investment is pretty normal.

+1 on the Checklist.

We have a couple checklists, and our Arrival/Departure/Leave checklist applies here. A lot of people think it's silly, to have an actual list to do something you do dozens of times a year... but I ask those same people how many times they've forgotten their car keys aboard after a weekend. Just sayin'.

We have our list laminated and give it to the 9-year old. It makes her feel very important to check off each item with a dry-erase marker as each item is completed. If she's not around I'll still pick it up and scan it, to make sure all the items are mentally checked off.

Be careful with this...next thing you know it's 'Dad I'm borrowing the boat'

HAH!

She can borrow the car. Even borrow the house.

... but not the boat. :socool:

Thanks all for the advice and understanding. Yes, I too am a creature of habit... setting the car alarm, then... after reaching the front door of the store, returning to the car because I unconsciously had secured the vehicle and yet had no recollection of doing so. :facepalm:

Everyone is spot-on with the Checklist recommendation. I am also a pilot (not currently active) - but believe in checklists. Even more so is my bride - which thankfully is blessed with those organizational and multitasking skills that I seem to be missing.

More than anything - it is the paranoia that reigns when you have spent a huge amount of money for a fancy floating tub that has a bunch of holes in it!

I'll post some pictures when I get some time.

Next will come the questions and the reason for participating in this forum. Stand by for that!

Last edited:
Next will come the questions and the reason for participating in this forum. Stand by for that!

Q & A with instructionals and bantering included = TF

Occasional fisticuffs too! - LOL

:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom