America's Cup 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
What the?

1429-albums131-picture1789.jpg

Bermuda to Host 2017 America's Cup
6 teams have signed up so far

America’s Cup officials announced Tuesday that Bermuda will host the next iteration of the race, which will take place in June 2017. The last America’s Cup was held on San Francisco Bay in September 2013.
“Racing in Bermuda will be an incredible experience for the spectators, and for the sailors, it’s going to be very challenging,” Jimmy Spithill, Oracle Team USA skipper, said in a press release from America’s Cup. “I’ve raced there several times and the variety of conditions means you can never let your guard down.”
Oracle Team USA will defend their 2013 victory on a race course on the Great Sound, which features views of surrounding islands and beaches. An official video also reveals plans for an America’s Cup Village at the Royal Naval Dockyard.
The America’s Cup press release also mentioned that in 2017, all teams will be competing on new AC62 catamarans. The boats are ten feet shorter than the AC72 catamarans that featured in the 2013 competition, and also slower: they can reach speeds up to 50 mph above the water, while last year’s boats could reach 58 mph.

Highest bidder and one that will make the most accommodations wins. Simple.

I remember when Newport was synonymous with the America's cup. Those days are gone. Anyone remember, Ted Turner, Dennis Conner, the Kiwi's and their super secret weapon, the winged keel?

I remember when Newport was synonymous with the America's cup. Those days are gone. Anyone remember, Ted Turner, Dennis Conner, the Kiwi's and their super secret weapon, the winged keel?

Well it's now the Larry Ellison show. And it's about money.

Well it's now the Larry Ellison show. And it's about money.

When was yacht racing anything but? It used to be a sport for millionaires. But now millionaires are dime a dozen. You have to be a billionaire to play. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just a fact of life.

As a long-time former competitor in international sailing with and against the Conners, Turners, Norths, etc of the world, I can credibly state that in my opinion the current rendition of the America's Cup is no longer an event for and about "sailing", but simply a medium for yet another "adventure" entertainment event for the public. It could as easily be conducted in kite boards, sailplanes, race cars, etc.

So my response to the current announcement that Bermuda will host the 2017 Americas Cup is BFD.

Pete

Reactions: Art
It definitely could use another Ted Turner.

But then how can we really fault them selecting sites based on dollars and deals. They're small time compared to the Olympic Committee and their demands.

And no different than the owners of every sports team seeking public financing for their arena or stadium.

Here in San Diego we knew it was going to be Bermuda when the local news outlets starting putting out the "outrageous" demands of the America's Cup team. One of them I remember, "three thousand rent free hotel rooms for the event." Don't know if it was made up to soften the blow to the local America's Cup fans or what.

Here in San Diego we knew it was going to be Bermuda when the local news outlets starting putting out the "outrageous" demands of the America's Cup team. One of them I remember, "three thousand rent free hotel rooms for the event." Don't know if it was made up to soften the blow to the local America's Cup fans or what.

San Francisco press did the same right before their official elimination. One can only imagine what Bermuda agreed to. I can see as a one time event and one time investment how it could possibly benefit Bermuda and couldn't see the same with San Diego or San Francisco.

Fwiw, the winged keel was not a Kiwi/NZ design, it was a feature of "Australia 2", promoted by British born financial entrepreneur Alan Bond, of whom the less said the better.

My bad Bruce. It was quite a while ago. But people around here still tell stories of Ted Turner's legendary celebrations in Newport.

As a long-time former competitor in international sailing with and against the Conners, Turners, Norths, etc of the world, I can credibly state that in my opinion the current rendition of the America's Cup is no longer an event for and about "sailing", but simply a medium for yet another "adventure" entertainment event for the public. It could as easily be conducted in kite boards, sailplanes, race cars, etc.

So my response to the current announcement that Bermuda will host the 2017 Americas Cup is BFD.

Pete

Exactly!

Agree

I too used to compete in sailing couched by Ed baird former helmsman on a Ameircas cup

To me it is not about sailing anymore

Ah, that would have been Australia 2, and their secret weapon, the winged keel, and not to forget the Vegemite sandwiches.

Sorry, Bruce, didn't see your response in time.

Anyway guys, get real, that racing in those cats last time was amazing, even though I still can't believe the Kiwis still managed to lose. The speeds they were capable of was incredible, and the sheer skill to control them was awsome. It made watching monohull yachts race look as exciting as grass growing. And that from a former sailor. I can't wait to see them.

Last edited:
Ah, that would have been Australia 2, and their secret weapon, the winged keel, and not to forget the Vegemite sandwiches.

Sorry, Bruce, didn't see your response in time.

Anyway guys, get real, that racing in those cats last time was amazing, even though I still can't believe the Kiwis still managed to lose. The speeds they were capable of was incredible, and the sheer skill to control them was awsome. It made watching monohull yachts race look as exciting as grass growing. And that from a former sailor. I can't wait to see them.

I don't watch the newest, most high tech, supersonic speed x 4, fastest jets in world fly around at top speed. Not saying their design is not incredible or that the pilots are not extremely proficient; just no real interest to me.

I do love to watch the Blue Angles (operating at way less than their planes' top speeds) perform miraculous acrobatics in the air over SF Bay and around the Golden Gate Bridge.

I do love to watch bi-planes do all sorts of stunts at shows. Often those type planes fly near our boat in SF Delta sloughs in mornings, at low altitudes... in transit to next vegetable/fruit field where they are helping to keep things bug free. Occasionally their pilots get captivated by the sheer joy of flying an acrobatic plane; they put on a show... wherein some really neat rolls and altitude changes get very interesting to watch.

I do not get a joy out of watching billionair$ pi$$ing higher on trees with today's required and mandated 50+ mph wind-powered surfboards (they call sail boats) that look nothing like a "sail boat" and have little to nothing to do with sailing a real boat.

I do enjoy watching real sail boats compete at slower speeds with super competent skippers and crews doing the best they can for intelligently handling their "real" sail boats.

Reason I enjoy the latter mentioned show of sailing boats over the first mentioned show of surfboards: Via virtual reality inside my mind's eye I can put myself aboard the real sail boats and appreciate what each handler aboard is accomplishing. By no reality would I care to be aboard the sailed surfboards that comprise contestants in today's billionaire ruled America's Cup Races.

I don't at all slobber over a few Billionaire'$ BS of a tree pi$$ing competition against one another to see who can/will provide the most expensive, high tech, fastest sail powered surfboard in the world.

Each to their own! There's my reasoning and stance. Yours? :popcorn:

Last edited:
I have sailed both racing type yachts. After racing on a Formula 40 cat I really have appreciation for the skills they have to race the AC cats. Would I have raced on a mono hull again, sure, but it is totally different and much more time to think about your next move. Even when you are on a spinnaker reach at 15 knots on a mono you can think some. On a Formula 40 going 30 knots or more, things happen real fast.
I totally respect and like both but if I had my preference I like the cats better. Now as far as the politics/finances, I think it would be the same in this day and age for either.

I do not get a joy out of watching billionair$ pi$$ing higher on trees with today's required and mandated 50+ mph wind-powered surfboards (they call sail boats) that look nothing like a "sail boat" and have little to nothing to do with sailing a real boat.

A "real" boat? A square rigger, right? None of this newfangled, johnny-come-lately fore-and-aft rigged nonsense. It's just a fad.

I hope I die before I get old.

A "real" boat? A square rigger, right? None of this newfangled, johnny-come-lately fore-and-aft rigged nonsense. It's just a fad.

I hope I die before I get old.

Do you think that today's AC racing rigs are a "boat"? Is a wind surfer rig a boat? Would either ever be copied in actual design to be a "boat".

Funny, but, Truly Correct "Boat" Definition: "Hole in the water (usually surrounded by wood, fiberglass, or metal) into which one pours money" AC racing rigs and wind surfers (both virtually surfboards with sails) do not meet the age old requirement of "hole in the water" to actually be classified as a "boat"... for carrying passengers and equipment or goods.

I have no problem with high tech design advances to produce enormous surfboard like, wind powered, surface-skimming devices for racing accomplishments.

I simply do not feel they at all meet the criteria of being a Real "BOAT"!

Soooo... at AC races you are no longer watching "Boat-Races"; you are watching high tech wind powered surfboard races.

Jus Sayen! :popcorn:

Do you think that today's AC racing rigs are a "boat"? Is a wind surfer rig a boat? Would either ever be copied in actual design to be a "boat".

Funny, but, Truly Correct "Boat" Definition: "Hole in the water (usually surrounded by wood, fiberglass, or metal) into which one pours money" AC racing rigs and wind surfers (both virtually surfboards with sails) do not meet the age old requirement of "hole in the water" to actually be classified as a "boat"... for carrying passengers and equipment or goods.

I have no problem with high tech design advances to produce enormous surfboard like, wind powered, surface-skimming devices for racing accomplishments.

I simply do not feel they at all meet the criteria of being a Real "BOAT"!

Soooo... at AC races you are no longer watching "Boat-Races"; you are watching high tech wind powered surfboard races.

Jus Sayen! :popcorn:

What are your thoughts on those nasty, smoky, coal burning ironclads?

How about an F22 Raptor? Is that an airplane? No propeller, stubby wings.

Just yanking' y'all's chain. I know what you're saying. But, hey, that's progress. There's still vintage racing for you Luddites. :D

What are your thoughts on those nasty, smoky, coal burning ironclads?

How about an F22 Raptor? Is that an airplane? No propeller, stubby wings.

Just yanking' y'all's chain. I know what you're saying. But, hey, that's progress. There's still vintage racing for you Luddites. :D

Personally... I like 12 gauge double barrel or semi auto shot guns. 357 mag hand guns, And, 1960's big block muscle cars. I also like early model, bad assss, 3/4 or 1 ton, gas powered, 4WD, standard shift, high performance, long bed - pick up trucks. Adore twin screw, self contained, planing hull pleasure boats... little speed boats are a kick too! I love to lift/workout with heavy free weights and occasionally I get back in the ring for sparring with buddies or on the mats for some good ol' Greco Wrestling. Drink coffee by the gallon. Eat as I please! Would love it if some thug(s) tried to roust me or screw with people I love... boy, would I enjoy teaching he or them a lesson or three! Bad things can happen quickly, when necessary.

Got the picture? I'm an educated 60 + year old NY street fighter that has lived (and is still living) life on my terms. I love to create and work. I also love to relax, and, pleasure boating is my preferred form of relaxation.

To stay on point for this thread: I love nearly all type boats and boating. I do not love America's Cup wind powered surfboards - they simply are not boats!

:popcorn:

Oracle and others contesting the Cup well know the hassles of doing business in CA. Anybody hear of longshoreman labor issues that have been going on for about 100 years there? Or the politicians making bad press about all "these rich guys." Not wanting to be repeated by smart team owners and Ellison heard this loud and clear.

So you have never been a fan of AC racing? :flowers:

Yes for all those not interested in racing of money and ego, there goes Formula One as well.

If I was an avid sailor, I'm sure the America's Cup would interest me. I am not, however, so can't really feel myself on the boat, at the helm, or in the other roles. I think the appeal to the masses is missing. Now the comeback this year probably did attract some non sailors. Ted Turner attracted everyone rooting for the outsider, the underdog. A bit like the Jamaican bobsled team.

Saying it's all about money is something we can say to one degree about all sports. The Olympics are watched and they're just as much about money. We say we're against wealthy owners like the NFL and yet the popularity increases and they continue to get more stadiums built with public funds. In reality I didn't grow up an America's Cup fan and it just never got my attention. I did grow up watching other sports. It's certainly Ellison's right to go for the money, but equally the right of San Francisco and San Diego to say, "no." Not like Bermuda was forced. Choices made. And again much like other sports, they get someone to pay because if not they know they'll go elsewhere.

Get over it, guys! The days of Luddite yacht racing in the America's Cup Races are gone. Gone is the canvas sail and the monohull vessel. TBH, I never understood traditional sailing races. You take one of the slowest vehicles known to man and put them side-by-side in a "race". Booooring! Kiteboard races would be more fun to watch.

006.jpg

Make 'em go 50 mph at the risk of pitchpoling at any moment and now you have something to watch! I thought the 2014 AC races were the most exciting ever and the OTUSA comeback is one for the record books. With today's video technology, the best seat is the one in front of a HDTV, so I guess holding the race in Bermuda is of little import to me. But I'll be watching the big screen TV closely as the races progress.

I agree with Flywright. For those that are against fast catamarans, have you ever sailed on one? Maybe you have, I don't know. But for me the feel of going 30 knots on the water without the sound of engines is a total rush and very much a challenge. It is in my opinion just progress of the sport of sailing. As far as the money for AC, same for all sports as Flywright says. Much of what is being learned in these boats are being picked up into some of the new designs of the modern racer cruisers.
I totally enjoyed the last AC and found the new boats and format refreshing and unbelievably exciting.

BandB mentioned Formula one as a comparison, and I have to agree. F1 cars are like no other car (alluding to Art's comments here), yet they are the leading edge of car manufacturing technology, without which many of todays safety, road-holding, safety, efficiency, and performance features would not have filtered down to our private vehicles. Todays F1 cars are actually going green, downsizing to 1600cc engines from 3000cc V8s, just this year, (now just completed), but using electric energy recovery systems, turbocharging, etc, they are as fast as last years cars, but quieter and much more economical.

But if you are not interested in the technical aspects like some of us clearly are, (my sons and I have always followed F1), then I understand the lack of interest. I just love it when form follows function, and things just work...

I see the AC boats as similar issue. Leading edge tech, much of which as and some has already filtered down to todays customers vessels. Carbon fibre for strength and lightness, for yachts the idea of sails more like plane wings that can have their aspect ratio and airfoil curves/surfaces etc altered to suit conditions. The result is exciting speed - what's not to like? - the cost is their problem - sadly the reason the Australian entry dived in the end, however, my fellow Kiwis will be baarck..! (sorry - Arnieism). Can't wait for Bermuda - like Al, I'll be in front of the HDTV…bring it on..!

Last edited:
Two 1/2 years ago I traveled to Auckland. While there I was able to catch the Volvo Ocean Racing series pit stop, what a great thing to see as leading edge boats and crew performed their magic. The work, energy and brilliance that goes into that set of races and the latest AC is just plain marvelous.

Sure, those evil rich guys make it happen, but what a happening it is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom