Get rid of old propane stove?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In Canada, you don't get your Coast Guard inspection sticker without following our regs. What I am talking about is not your ABYC, but our CCGA regs.
We Canadians tend to follow, not lead, so I am surprised yours are not mandatory.

Woodsong, I have used on a previous boat a Wallas stove, fueled by diesel, and it worked extremely well.* Very quiet, and mine had a lid that when you closed it, turned the unit into a nice little heater.* It has a glass cooktop, 2 burners, heats up very, very quickly and is completely odorless.* Not cheap, but a high quality piece of equipment.* No go on propane for me....

http://www.scanmarineusa.com/wallas_stove_85DU.pdf

Delfin,
looks nice but I don't think I could justify that expense for our boat with everything else we are doing.

Honestly, I keep going back and forth. On one hand it seems insane to put such a dangerous element on the boat- i.e. propane that can literally blow up. That makes me want to say heck with it, go with electric and just use the generator- much, much safer and really not too bad and we're used to using the ceramic glass cooktop stoves since we've had them on our previous boats up til now.
On the other hand though- we do love cooking on gas and that is what we have at home and i like the idea of no need to use the generator at all. Flipside of that though is that I'll most likely be running the generator once or twice a day for a bit to charge the house batteries anyway so no big deal to use electric.

Ah....I can't decide whether the serious potential safety issues are worth the ability to keep things quiet and not need the generator to cook. You would think most folks would rather use a diesel stove to eliminate the real safety issues of propane.

Maybe I should flip a coin?! :)

Woodsong wrote:
Are most of you all running propane stoves on your trawlers?

Just about all GBs have propane ranges (stove & oven unit).* Our '73 had a Magic Chef four burner range when we bought the boat.* From its color and style it was probably original to the boat.*

The propane supply used by the previous owner was a BBQ bottle with bolted on feet on its side in the propane locker on the flying bridge.* We subsequently found out this is a very bad idea as BBQ bottles are not made to operate on their sides and the feed can be quite uneven.

Within the first week of having the boat we found the burner valve for the oven was leaking and the others were iffy.* So within two weeks of buying the boat we had the old Magic Chef removed and a new Force 10 installed. The Force 10 has been trouble-free for the last 12 years and my wife much prefers cooking on it to our electric range at home.

At the same time we installed the Force 10 we replaced the converted BBQ bottle in the propane locker with a purpose-built horizontal aluminum tank (not cheap), and a couple of years later added a second identical tank beside it.* While new horizontal tanks are made with an OPD, it is still legal to refill older horzontal tanks that have no OPD.* We have one old and one new tank along with a copy of the waiver in case a propane dealer questions our old tank.* No one ever has, however.

We would not want an electric range on any boat we might have because of the need to provide power to it (generator) and the fact that my wife much prefers cooking with gas/propane to electricity.* The narrowboats we have hired on the British canals since 1990 all have propane stoves, propane water heaters, and some have had propane refrigerators, which we much prefer over electric refrigerators.* We have never had a problem with any of these systems.

A propane system that is properly set up with good components installed correctly is no more dangerous than any other system on a boat.* Propane can blow your boat up, electricity can burn your boat down, and you can run your boat into a rock.* All it takes to prevent all three is common sense and an operational process than ensures safety.

We turn off the propane bottle that is connected to the feed line whenver we leave the boat for a period of time or when it's back in its slip.* We turn off the manual shutoff valve in the feed line up in the propane locker that is operated by a handle in the galley overhead whenver the range is not actually being used to cook or heat something.* Shutting off the propane system from the bottle to the range is on our "before leaving the boat" checklist we go through every time we leave the boat, either during a cruise or at the end of one.* So we have no qualms whatsoever about the propane system on our boat at all.

Speaking of Force 10 stoves/ranges, we made a simple addition to ours which makes it safer and protects the controls.* The photo pretty much says it all.* The position of the range on all but the very first GB36s is such that you brush past it every time you enter or leave the forward cabin.* Also if someone comes up to stand beside the helmsman to help watch for debris in the water or whatever, they invariably end up standing between the helm console and the stove.* The controls are about butt height so it was not uncommon for a person to inadvertantly turn on a burner valve or even pop a knob off the faceplate.

We solved this with the installation of a stainless steel drawer pull.* It acts as a guard above the burner knobs and since installing it years ago we've not had a burner accidentally turned on or a knob bumped off.* Since we always shut off the feed valve to the range when we're not atually using it a knob being bumped on was not an immediate safety issue but it was still something we didn't like to have happen.

A terrific featue of the Force 10 with regards to our boat is the "disappearing" oven door.* A traditional oven door would take up just about all the space beween the range and the helm consol opposite it.* The disappearing door means the space in front of the oven remains clear when someone goes to put something in or take something out of the oven.* Very smart design.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 20th of October 2010 01:34:34 AM

Attachments

• force 10.jpg
    force 10.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 96
Marin, it looks like you have the same model stove that I have. Mine is positioned where the knobs aare not in danger of being accidentally turned on. Other than the igniter no longer working (yes, I know I can replace it), the stove works just great. It takes a little getting used to as propane burns hotter than the natural gas that we have at home.

There are several safety features built into the stove. One, you have to push each knob in, then turn it for the gas to come on. If you let go of the knob, the gas will shut off unless the burner is lit and has been burning for a few seconds. Second, if the flame goes out, the gas shuts off.

There is a switch in the galley with a pilot light that operates a remote solenoid valve in the propane locker to turn the gas on or off. There is also a propane detector in the galley. There is a pressure gauge in the propane locker and the test is to shut off the tank valve and see to it that the pressure holds. If it does, there are no leaks. If it drops, there is a leak that needs to be found and corrected. Much like the gas system in your home or business, if it doesn't leak when first installed, it's not likely to develop a leak.

BTW: My boat was built in Canada.

-- Edited by rwidman on Wednesday 20th of October 2010 06:54:33 AM

Gas vs. Electricity for producing heat:

With gas, you burn the gas to make heat.

With electricity, you burn fuel to turn an engine that turns an alternator to make electricity, then you pass the electricity through a resistive conductor which gets hot and makes heat.

Which is more efficient?
Which is simpler and more trouble free?

Think about it.

-- Edited by rwidman on Wednesday 20th of October 2010 06:58:44 AM

-- Edited by rwidman on Wednesday 20th of October 2010 06:59:36 AM

I agree. We have a 4 burner propane Chef stove with oven and grill - now quite old, but still works perfectly. Likewise, we have a remote solenoid shut-off at the tank in the locker. I think the dangers of propane are over-played, and unwarranted. As Marin mentioned as well, there are numerous other aspects to boating as or more dangerous. it's a case of being sensible and taking simple precautions.
By the way. The only issue I/we have with our stove is firing up the grill. It does not have auto-lighter, so we have to use a flame wand, and it keeps forming pockets of unburnt gas which then ignite with a whoompf, and blow the wand and the grill out again. It often takes several attempts to get the grill to stay alight. Anyone know why, and a fix for it? It has done this from day one as far as I know.

hmmm....lots of food for thought here, no pun intended! :)
I am going to contemplate it. One thing I really liked the idea of was mounting the microwave below the cooktop to free up more space in the galley. Counterspace is a premium due to the full size fridge vs. undermount some versions of our model boat have. We're glad to have the full fridge due to us having our little kids on the boat with us but also want more space! I guess an alternative is to just get a surface mounted propane cooktop, eliminate the oven portion, and still mount the microwave under the cooktop. This requires me to give up the warm and happy idea of my wife baking brownies while anchored out though! :(

Ignore all the mess and clutter as the picture was taken prior to purchase and the seller had their stuff everywhere and even taken out a section of the headliner to get to the mast mounting plate bolts. *You can see where the microwave is currently sitting and how little counter space we have. *If we move the microwave down we can use the space above the fridge for other storage- basket for beach towels, maybe some kitchen stuff, etc. *The limited counterspace is also why I like the idea of a drop in cooktop of some type b/c the stove really chops up the counterspace, particularly with the wooden fiddles around the edge of the current countertops. *If I remove the fiddles and put down a continuous piece of granite and then set in a cooktop with micro below it would help a lot I think.

Attachments

• p5010071.jpg
    p5010071.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 94
I would keep the existing arrangement. For more storage, the oven, when not in use as such, will hold lots of pots.

Woodsong wrote:

hmmm....lots of food for thought here, no pun intended! :)
I am going to contemplate it. One thing I really liked the idea of was mounting the microwave below the cooktop to free up more space in the galley.

I think you'll find that if you mount the microwave below the cooktop, you will have to get on your knees to see the controls.* Try it before making any permanent changes.
Here's my galley in case it gives you any ideas:

307094054.jpg

The PO made that fold up shelf on the right.* I never used it so I removed it.

-- Edited by rwidman on Wednesday 20th of October 2010 08:53:57 AM

Woodsong wrote:"One thing I really liked the idea of was mounting the microwave below the cooktop to free up more space in the galley."
That's exactly what I did & I love the set-up. Although my helm seat hinges
forward, for more counter space, the micro is below the propane cook top
and gives us no trouble.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Wednesday 20th of October 2010 11:34:46 AM

Attachments

• img_1445.jpg
    img_1445.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 88
  • img_1521.jpg
    img_1521.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 89
Would love to put the micro below the cook top for more storage but unfortunately there is an oven in the way and there is no other place for it than where it is.

Attachments

• galley.jpg
    galley.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 83
dwhatty wrote:

Would love to put the micro below the cook top for more storage but unfortunately there is an oven in the way and there is no other place for it than where it is.
*I hate microwaves never use them even at home.**They use lots of power. In my opinion make the food tast funny.**Ruins the texture* ( Makes things taste like rubber)
I would just get rid of it were it my boat. Thats just me.

SD

rwidman wrote:

Other than the igniter no longer working...
I assume you know the igniter is powered by a*battery and when the battery dies the igniter stops working.* The battery is easily replaced--- it's a standard size although I don't remember what size.* AA I think but I could be wrong.

Of course it could be something else but if you haven't changed the battery you might try that.....

Marin wrote:

rwidman wrote:

Other than the igniter no longer working...
I assume you know the igniter is powered by a*battery and when the battery dies the igniter stops working.* The battery is easily replaced--- it's a standard size although I don't remember what size.* AA I think but I could be wrong.

Of course it could be something else but if you haven't changed the battery you might try that.....

You assume correctly.* I'm good with manuals.*

I've tried a coupe of new batteries.* One of these days I'll look into it further, but for now, a butane lighter does the trick.

skipperdude wrote:*I hate microwaves never use them even at home.**They use lots of power. In my opinion make the food tast funny.**Ruins the texture* ( Makes things taste like rubber)
I would just get rid of it were it my boat. Thats just me.

SD

I think you're doing it wrong.* Many things taste just fine warmed in a microwave oven.* Leftovers, soups and stews, etc.

I wouldn't cook with one, but they are great for heating or reheating.

rwidman wrote:

One of these days I'll look into it further, but for now, a butane lighter does the trick.

We had a minor problem with getting the oven burner to light within a year of getting our Force 10.* I called the factory in BC and their service guy explained the cause of the problem--- a less-than-ideal gas splitter deslgn--- and said they had since*redesigned the part.* He sent us the new*part free and told me to call him when we were ready to do the installation.* I did and he talked me through the installation on the phone.

From this experience and others I have heard about from other people, Force 10 has very high level of customer service.* Again, you may already know this, but if you haven't talked to them about your igniter problem a phone call might*aim you in the right direction for the fix.*

rwidman wrote:I think you're doing it wrong.* Many things taste just fine warmed in a microwave oven.* Leftovers, soups and stews, etc.
Agreed! Not to mention that you get food on the table fast when a couple of
grandkids say they're starving.

Most foods warm up really well in the microwave oven.* However, it seems that microwaves cause a reaction with gluten in bread.* Here is a link to a studay* To me it makes the bread seem "gummy".

http://www.aapspharmscitech.org/view.asp?art=pt070115

It is true that foods do not brown well in a microwave oven, but there are certain browning screens that work somewhat.* On Moonstruck we have a combination microwave and convection oven.* It is slightly larger than just a microwave, but it will do anything we have asked of it.* We get along quite well with it.

I love my propane stove/oven. I don't use it too much in the summer though because it heats up the cabin too much. I'd love to install a 110v microwave/convection oven. I just haven't measured to see if I have space to put one in where the small microwave is installed now.

Keith wrote:

I'd love to install a 110v microwave/convection oven. I just haven't measured to see if I have space to put one in where the small microwave is installed now.
Saw one today at BJ's here in Raleigh.* It was pretty small.

JD wrote:

Keith wrote:

I'd love to install a 110v microwave/convection oven. I just haven't measured to see if I have space to put one in where the small microwave is installed now.
Saw one today at BJ's here in Raleigh.* It was pretty small.

Nevermind, I misread the post.*

-- Edited by rwidman on Thursday 21st of October 2010 06:41:11 AM

It dawned on me why a Microwave.
Hot weather.

Where I live I keep my diesel stove going all the time while I am on the boat.
Never lived where it is hot all the time. Hot as above 60 deg.

SD

I have used both propane and electric and I prefer the propane. But you have other issues to deal with so consider what I do. We have an all electric boat and also carry a small portable butane burner. Rarely do we use the electric stove and when on the hook I won't start the genny just for the stove. The small butane burner easily fits into a locker and takes up about 1 sq ft of counter space. I have a coleman drip coffer maker that makes great coffee on the butane burner, so I rarely find a need to use the electric stove. We grill a lot too.

SO for those that are in hot weather since we are here in the southeast as well...do you find your propane stove burners heat your cabin up too much/excessively during the summer months?

."do you find your propane stove burners heat your cabin up too much/excessively during the summer months?"

Heat is heat , if it takes 5 min with as 5000btu element to boil the water , doesn't matter weather its propane , electric , acetylene or wood.

The heat , noise and maint expense turns me off electric from a noisemaker.

Unless the noisemaker is needed 24/7 to operate , then why not?

Our boat does have dual ranges , one propane for the south , one a Dickinson "Pacific" oil fired range fot northern cruising , and of course a microwave from an inverter to re heat.

Woodsong wrote:

SO for those that are in hot weather since we are here in the southeast as well...do you find your propane stove burners heat your cabin up too much/excessively during the summer months?
Not at all, and we boat often in very warm conditions, (Queensland, Northern Australia), and we don't have aircon either.* Like FF said - it takes x amount of thermal energy to heat/boil/cook something, whichever way you do it.* Electric is not cooler heat than gas, but you have to apply it longer as the heat transfer is less efficient than gas applied direct to cooking pot, kettle, whatever, so the heat in the cabin is not more - possibly less than electric.* We have everything we can screened (at night) and open, and the heat is not an issue.* We also often use a Cobb http://www.cobb.com.au/ cooker out in the cockpit for BBQing, and slow meat/fish cooking.* That's fun, cool, convivial, and does not use even propane - just some heat beads.

As mentioned by several posters, heat is heat.* If there's a lot of cooking going on, the stove and/or oven (electric or propane) will heat a small cabin.* Ventilation will reduce the effect.

If there's a choice of using the stove or the microwave, boiling water, reheating leftovers, etc., the microwave releases less heat to the environment.

Peter B wrote:"We also often use a Cobb http://www.cobb.com.au/ cooker out in the cockpit for BBQing, and slow meat/fish cooking.* That's fun, cool, convivial, and does not use even propane - just some heat beads."
Peter:

This is one of the best suggestions I've read so far on this site. This product solves
a bunch of problems for me and stores easily. Thanks for the post.
(In the US, just Google "Cobb Cooker.")

Walt

Back
Top Bottom