Newbie in Slidell, LA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dutchman45

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bayou Chariot
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 II
Since this afternoon the happy owner of a 1979 Mainship 34 II. I hope to learn a lot from all you old hands. Thanks for having me.

Dick Paauw

Welcome! Congratulations on the Mainship!
I live in Thibodaux and keep my boat in Houma. just off the Intracoastal.

Welcome neighbor!

Welcome from an ex-Slidell person. We lived aboard in Oak Harbor Marina for several years - up until Katrina.
Between Steve and Dimer2, you are in good company.

Welcome, Dutch. Great boat handle too.

Welcome, I also live Down Da Bayou in Houma. Where do you keep Bayou Bum ?

Bon Fouca Marina, peaceful back to nature.
Thanks everyone for the welcoming .

Dick

Last edited:
Welcome Dick share some pictures please of your new boat

Welcome , My uncle keeps his sailboat at Oak Harbor in Slidell . It,s an Islander Freeport 36 .

Thanks she looks great

Welcome aboard Dutchman, I keep my boat near Springfield, about halfway
between Hammond and Baton Rouge. Does your marina have transient slips?

I believe 10 or so, not sure what the rates are but I can find out tomorrow when I sign my lease. Keep in mind it's 3 miles up the creek to nowhere

Welcome aboard Dutchman!
As most aboard will tell you that have been there- Phil's Marina over at Oak Harbor is well worth the trip for a great seafood meal. "Bow tie Pasta" with the lump crab meat is my favorite appetizer- followed by a pound of "Royal Reds".
Have you nailed down your boating plans yet??

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I have been living in Slidell for 34 years so far and Marina Cafe is on my not to miss seafood list.

First getting familiar with the new hole in the water then exploring Pontchartrain, Maurepas, Gulf Coast, retired so have 6 Saturdays and a Sunday.
:)

I have been living in Slidell for 34 years so far and Marina Cafe is on my not to miss seafood list.

First getting familiar with the new hole in the water then exploring Pontchartrain, Maurepas, Gulf Coast, retired so have 6 Saturdays and a Sunday.
:)

By 2016 you need to be use to it so you can show me around when we come up for a few months

Anytime, of course at my age I don't even buy green banana's anymore

Anytime, of course at my age I don't even buy green banana's anymore

We have 4 active cruisers at our marina over 90

that would give me a lot of years to cruise

I have the same work schedule, and we are not old....just well seasoned :)

I bought my boat on Lake Pontchartrain (South Shore Marina). You are well located to go East or West.

And another birthday around the corner, but it beats the alternative, going to b e a boat bum from now on.

My boat was trucked from Annapolis to Slidell in 2008, brought to a yard on Bayou Liberty right next to the swing bridge. I had some work done on the boat (bow thruster, holding tank, etc.) and then sailed it to my marina on the Blood River, Vacajun Marina, just south of Springfield. That was about a 7-8 hour trip in a slow boat.

That is on my list of places to visit, I use active captain, gives a pretty good idea what to expect. Didn't realize it was that far inland. Are they any less expensive than here? ($4.00 ')

$240/month, covered slip w/ parking right behind the boat, also covered. Includes water, not electricity, which runs about $10/month. It's about as good a hurricane hole as I could find.

Attachments

• Boat 2012 002.jpg
    Boat 2012 002.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 102
Welcome aboard!

Look like a very nice spot, of course 7 hrs to the gulf doesn't make it a weekly commute.

5 hours to Mandeville (fine & free city dock w/ power & water), 5 hours to NOLA.

5 hours to Mandeville (fine & free city dock w/ power & water), 5 hours to NOLA.
\
3 more hrs to Slidell I think of gph not mph, keeps me real happy. Dutchmen make Scotts look like spendthrifts.:angel:

Back
Top Bottom