Need help identifying this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbevins

Guru
Vessel Name
Keeper IV
Vessel Make
44 Viking ACMY
Is anyone familiar with the big plates attached to this boat. Picture was taken in Europe.

ForumRunner_20141123_150035.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

Is the same plate on the other side?

Yes both sides. Appears to be a fishing boat

Lee Boards. Same idea as a centerboard except there are two. One on each side.

Makes perfect sense now. Thanks

Thanks great stuff

The great part of lee boards is that their shape can be optimized for lift , a center line keel or center board can not be.

They also have skid plates , so operating in shallow water they simply swing up.

On a flat bottomed shallow draft boat the work far better at displaying current depth information than a 22 inch screen depth sounder.

That looks like it was a blast but did you forget the Pussers rum ?

Lee Boards. Same idea as a centerboard except there are two. One on each side.

and let me add that this is how we got the word "starboard"

I don't drink liquor, but do enjoy a beer or two...

thats great one of the companies we own manufactures beer brewing equipment

that looks like a shanty fest beer glass

and let me add that this is how we got the word "starboard"

Actually Richard, starboard I believe, is derived from steering oar, which was placed amidships when swinging into a dock or port (hence the port side). Of course I am usually wrong in these things :)

Greetings,
Mr. d2. Correct. A steering oar or steering BOARD was traditionally affixed to the right side of the boat as I understand it.

viking%20ship%20%285%29.JPG

Lee boards

th

Lee majors...

th

Farah Fawcett Majors...

th

Water faucet (major)

th

Last edited:
A complete topic drift in one response! Perfection. ?

Kevin
Boatless in Portland, OR

Amazing where a simple question goes.

Water taps? Goats? What was the question? I forget.

This is a photo I took this September of a Dutch barge liveaboard on the Seine River in Paris. The boat is moored opposeite the bottom of the Isle de Cite, the island Notre Dame cathedral is on. The bottom of the island is opposite the boat. The big building on the far shore is the Louvre.

We first saw this boat in 2001 and it has been in the same place since then. It is beautifully maintained. The city allows liveaboards to park their cars on the quay next to their boats. Whoever lives on this boat has a very expensive car based on what we saw in 2001. Didn't see a car this time, but given the condition of the boat I expect the owner is very wealthy.

You can see the starboard leeboard in its retracted position. The port leeboard is the same.

The boats moored along the Seine are moored using long standoffs, pipes that can pivot up and down at each end. Some of them incorporate big springs in one or both ends. This allows the boats to ride the sometimes huge boat and power barge wakes on the river without damage against the quay.

Attachments

• Liveaboard Seine River.jpg
    Liveaboard Seine River.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Is anyone familiar with the big plates attached to this boat. Picture was taken in Europe.

View attachment 34763

Yes. They are for creating a larger wake for towing a wakeboarder! :angel:

Seriously, there is a boat at my marina (dry stacked) that has something like that built in. And a large ballast tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom