View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 11:29 PM   #11
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
What do you think about selling out vs buying a more modest boat?
I think that's a very smart thing to do, if for no other reason that that's what we did. We wanted to take up cruising but we did not want to give up any of the other pasttimes we had, nor did we want to give up our house and land. Of course, I'm still working so that played a role in the decision, too.

But neither my wife nor I like the idea of having as one's permanent, full-time home, something that can sink. Yes, I know a house can burn down, or fall down in an earthquake, or wash away in a flood, or blow away in a tornado. Of course, the key there is don't live where there are widlfires, earthquakes, floods, or tornados.

But at least land pretty much stays where it is 24/7/365 and, depending on where it is, it tends to retain its value over time despite periodic recessions and stuff.

Whereas the boat market wanders all over the place. And unless one buys a Hacker Craft or Gar Wood or some other collectable, vintage boat, one almost always loses money in terms of value on a boat come time to sell it.

So we'd rather have an older, smaller boat that we can enjoy as long as we're able, but not give up the long-term security of a base on land to live out our days.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote