Old 11-20-2014, 12:52 AM   #15
Wayfarer
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelydon View Post
When I finished I had a boat that was too small for my intended purpose and was at the low end of the quality/desirability curve. The KK has great bones so unlike the CC a refit will provide a higher value overall. But we don't rebuild/refit to resell we do it to cruise.

After 31 years all the systems are suspect. The listing indicates that a 2012 survey is available. A complete survey, not an insurance survey, will describe condition but will also provide a punch list of suspected systems and upgrades needed. Do you have the skillsets to address the issues which need to be corrected?

Don
"Steelydon"
As far as the boat suiting my intended purpose, I think it will. It's plenty big enough for just me, and hopefully at some point, a partner.

As far as her resale value, I know I'll never make a profit, but if I can get her into shape, I might be able to recoup a pretty decent percentage of my investment if I ever need to sell. I get the impression that these boats hold their value better than others, and most of the depreciation has already been eaten by previous owners.

The survey was only an 'insurance survey,' so it didn't really cover very much. I get the feeling that a lot of things were missed or sugar coated. I may pay her a visit in a few weeks, and have a look for myself.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote