View Single Post
Old 11-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #41
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
Seriously Marin, it sounds like your entire life was when 100LL was under $3 a gallon.
No, my life's not over and I still fly on occasion, but not nearly as much as I used to. Partly because of my work schedule, partly because these days we tend to use the boats more than fly, and partly because our planes are currently leased out in Canada. And I haven't had to fly on dates for some 27 years now.

Be it boating or flying, the price of fuel is almost irrrelevant, it's such a small part of the overall expense of owning a boat or a plane. When we used to fly up the Stikine River into the interior of BC, we would sometimes have to buy fuel from the operator on Sawmill Lake at Telegraph Creek, a little community on the river. Even in the mid-1980s, avgas was about $5 a gallon from this guy because it all had to be trucked in. And with an airplane that burns about 23 gph in cruise, it made for some expensive fill-ups. But compared to the overall cost of owning the plane, those fill-ups were a drop in the bucket, just as they are with the boats.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote