Possible name for next boat...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forkliftt

Guru
Vessel Name
KnotDoneYet
Vessel Make
1983 42' Present Sundeck
Don't want another boat- happy with mine. But thought of a great name just in case?
No Need to Hurry.....

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Steve, don't do it! Imagine telling that to bridge or lock tenders, especially in the "big easy"

Imagine the radio call if your boat is on fire and sinking...

Same type of problem, actual boat: "I Don't Know"

I wanted to call my boat "Bob."

I thought it was very evocative, then I thought of a mayday call; then I had an altercation with an a**hole called Bob on a website, which meant I thought of him when I said it, which spoiled it.

Since our last name is Nay, I thought about calling the boat Nayday. Wiser heads prevailed.

I wanted to call my boat "Bob." ...

The owner of this boat did.

img_284525_0_4bf93aeac34be8c6b697783089651f49.jpg

I thought "Free Beer" would be a great name, but it would probably draw undue attention from the USCG. Like Conrad said, wiser heads prevailed.

Steve, don't do it! Imagine telling that to bridge or lock tenders, especially in the "big easy"

Hmmm. Didn't consider that?

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I don't know about my "next" boat but I named my first trawler "Tikitibu." I got called everything from icky poo to sticky doo and the coast guard screwed it up three times in one radio call. My sailboat was named Apophyge (ancient greek for escape) and I even had a guy tell me I spelled apogee wrong. Can't wait to see what comes out of "Lollygag."

Are people so xxxxx they would call their boat "light my fire," "we're lying," "higher than a kite," and so on? ... Seems like a lot of tugs in this area name their boats after humans. I suppose that's too workaday and practical for us recreationals. ... Anyone contemplating naming one's boat "Ebola River"?

Last edited:
Our previous boat was call Amadeus, we called the tender Wolfgang.

MY best mate was all set to call his new boat "You Can't". I told him to pretend to make call-in to VMR using that name before painting it on his boat. Boat is still un-named.

Once I knew of a boat named Cirrhosis of the River.:eek:

Our previous boat was named Satisfaction. We named the dinghy Satis/fraction. Our current boat is named Magic, and our tender is named Merlin.

A friend had a superb 50ft Joe Adams design sailboat called "Xanthippe". Tender was named "Socrates". Apparently Xanthippe and Socrates were married. Too highbrow for me.

Our Crestliner tow behind runabout is "The Water Cooler"... where secrets and stories get told! :thumb:

Cause it don't get much better... maybe name of next boat... "The Copier"!

Attachments

• The Office Name_100_1656.jpg
    The Office Name_100_1656.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 120
  • WC - A-OK!_Delta Canal 100_0435.jpg
    WC - A-OK!_Delta Canal 100_0435.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
hmason, those names are very practical compared to many. :thumb:

Last edited:
"The Office" ... That's lame. :hide:

Last edited:
"The Office." .... That's lame. :hide:

Tax deductible too! :rofl:

I initiate and spearhead conference calls on it quite often... As well as write papers i.e. occasionally using it as one of my offices.

Last edited:
Would naming one's boat "The United States President" raise anyone's concern? :facepalm:

I have way to many of these

how many should I post mmmmmmmmmmmm?

Attachments

• name1.jpg
    name1.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 119
  • name2.jpg
    name2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 153
Here is one I have enjoyed most my life, when I was just a lad my uncle built a Herreshoft 32 which was caravel plank mahogany etc.. She was a vessel that set the stage for my love of sailing and boats. I believe the naming grew from the multi year project coming to an end.

SV Goodness and her lap straked dink was Gracious.

We've only had one boat that we named and after much thought came up with --- "Time Well Wasted". Still like that name.

Back
Top Bottom