Thread: Resale value
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2014, 08:37 AM   #17
caltexflanc
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
What I'm comparing costs to is against renting. I know that at the end of 5 years of renting I will have zero $. With a boat, even with depreciation, it should be worth something after 5 years. (Depending upon health and experience, we could just to keep boat, build house, and move back to land.)
Maintainance on boat comparing to owning a home. Still have cost of home Maintainance, in this case just putting $ into boat. Recognize boat will be more Maintainance $, but worth it to protect "investment".
First of all, if you are renting a house, maintenance costs and hassles of getting it done are built into the rent. (Not clear from the above if contemplating renting or owning house). Keeping a live aboard boat in seaworthy condition is pound for pound more expensive than maintaining a house. House doesn't have big diesel engine(s), transmission(s), a regularly used generator (if one at all), batteries, multiple voltages and AC/DC electric, and so on and so on.

If I were in the OP's position (which we have been) I would rent/own a house until ready to go cruising full time, and charter/rent a boat when I wanted to go boating now and then. Plus you will get a much bigger "home". Much more economical, take it from me. A bonus is you get to try out different types and sizes of boat so when you are ready to go cruising, you know just what you want.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote