Door removal for rollers replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harbor Nights

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
43 Ocean Tri-cabin w/Cummins V555
Im not having any luck with the removal of my port door. The door has a 3/8 bronze square stock that has 2 door rollers on the bottom of the door also bronze. How does one get the door off? The opening wont allow me to lift the door out of the track. I was able to remove the square stock but still don't have enough room to get the door out. The starboard door came off so I thought the same procedure for the port side should work.

While on the door topic what do folks use for replacement rollers.

Can you send some detail pics also what year is your tri cabin?

I have the same set up. I'll be watching the posts for needed Info.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Look for adjustment screws on or near the rollers. They are normally used to square the door in the frame. Loosen the screws and you should be able to lift the door out.

Since you got one door out. look for the screws on it. They will be easier to see. Then back the screws off on the other door and lift it out.

Note: This advice is based on generic door installation so your door may be different.

On the Monk 36 the lower track must be unscrewed and slipped outward with the lower edge of the door, then the door comes free at top. To get to all the screws I had to remove some with the door closed then slide the door open remove more, then remove the door stop pad at the end of the track to remove the last one or two. Sounds like lots of work but not bad at all. May be similar on other boats.

I kinda figure mine will work that way too.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

My doors are probably different than yours , but here is some info. There is reference for a good source of wheels. I changed to stainless. There is also a link to trawlerbeachhouse. He used linear poly and did away with the wheels. My next mod is to do the same.
Fryedaze - Sliding door wheels

That's a great resource Dave. Thanks for posting.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Does anyone have a solution for all the air that comes in these sloppy fit doors? It sure would help if I could stop the draft in the fall and the A/C loss in the summer.

If it leaks air, it probably leaks water too.

Agree:rolleyes:, these old sliding doors on the Taiwan trawlers can have a 1/2" gap around the outside. I am looking for someone who has solved it with some kind of weather stripping or design change.

I used heavy duty garage door weather stripping screwed to the back edge of the door. Serves as a gap filler on our Californian sliders ( salon & side doors) So far has lasted thru a season of opening & closing quite well. I'll try to get some pics this weekend if that will help.

Agree:rolleyes:, these old sliding doors on the Taiwan trawlers can have a 1/2" gap around the outside. I am looking for someone who has solved it with some kind of weather stripping or design change.

Still playing around with a permanent solution, but when cold and windy I stuff 1/2 inch pipe insulation in the crevice around the door. 2 fit perfectly.

I used heavy duty garage door weather stripping screwed to the back edge of the door. Serves as a gap filler on our Californian sliders ( salon & side doors) So far has lasted thru a season of opening & closing quite well. I'll try to get some pics this weekend if that will help.

My Monk has a similar arrangement but OEM I am sure the one on is the original since 2003. I'll take some pics when I am aboard in the next few days. I am not sure how they are attached, will see.

Does anyone have a solution for all the air that comes in these sloppy fit doors? It sure would help if I could stop the draft in the fall and the A/C loss in the summer.
I used a aluminum track that hold a nylon brush that has a stainless steel casing. I got everything from Mac master Carr . The brush can be replaced when worn out . Just remove the track and slide out old brush , slide new one in . My doors had a big gap and this looked like the best way .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 91
I also rebuilt the tracks and the jambs . I put UHMW in the bottom of the track . It works pretty good .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 92
Thanks Pack Mule. That looks like a good solution. Thats a great looking door on a great looking boat.

Thanks but still no luck getting the door out.
The set up on my boat is like the one from Beach House.
No adjustment screws on the rollers. The door is longer than the opening. (Approx 3/16"). How does one get the door out? Really Don't want to remove the entire lower wood rail attached to the boat but may not have a choice.
My rails look very much like the one from pack mule

My doors were hung on a track that was coming loose and they had these cowling a that kept everything from falling off . I tore everything off and started over . My top and bottom tracks are mounted to stainless steel angle brackets mounted to the house sides . I can take the bottom track off and remove the doors . The bottom track is lined with graphite filled UHMW .Sorry pic won't load of cowling .

Thanks Pack Mule. That looks like a good solution. Thats a great looking door on a great looking boat.
Thanks Dave ,the original doors were barely hanging on and mostly rotten .these are a little heavy but much better .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom