Older wannabe trawler owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wheatear

Vessel Name
Now Boatless
Vessel Make
Menger
Old nonagenarian (90 years old), with plenty of sailing experience, and pretty healthy (considering), would like to hear from older experienced trawlers with suggestions. I have looked at the ads for Prairie, and Puritan 40. They look pretty good. Hope you can suggest something, or do you think it is hopeless?

Thanks, Wheatear.

Welcome, Wheatear. I like your thinking. Keep on boating.:thumb::speed boat:

We have had my father-in-law on our boat. He is almost your age. It is real tough for him to get on and off the boat without our help. Handling lines with a boat that heavy is also going to be very trying. But boy, does he love being out on the water.

You haven't mentioned anything about your crew or boating companions but I would suggest single handing it is out of the question. Don't mean to be discouraging but suggest thinking of a smaller boat unless family is involved.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Know nothing about Prairies but they are well spoken of on this board. Now as to Puritans....
th

That's about it. You may want to consider another model...
th

...and don't discount twins right away...
th

Enjoy the chase.

We have a sundeck trawler with steps up to the fly bridge, no ladder. Climbing up or down a ladder when under way is a no no for this ol' coot.

Congratulations you are an inspiration. Don't spend too long looking though.

I suggest no steps or ladders at all. forget a fly bridge. Side doors for ease of getting to dock lines is important. Twins and or thrusters so no line pulling is required. IPS even better. Strength is not a requirement for successful boating. proper set up and skills are.

Mr. RT-you may have just settled the single v. twins debate!

My advise is to go for it if you feel you can physically do it. I am 64 and able to do the getting up/down, in/out etc when it comes to getting on or off the boat, in the engine room, single handing lines. I'd like to think I can handle it all for the next 20 years, I love my boat and the thought of not having it is just plain depressing. It's the best hideout I've ever had in my life.

Welcome

we have at least 10 here at our marina over 80 and 3 90+

Holy Batman! Here I am At 71 wondering if I should forget about a trawler because of my age. Going to kiss that thought goodby after reading this series of posts.

Wheatear,
You are an inspiration to those of us younger than you. About 10 years ago, we were in the Broughtons, off the north coast of Vancouver Island. We were moored in a marina doing our laundry. A 40+ ft boat pulled in next to us. The crew was two couples that looked to be in their mid eighties. They moved slowly and carefully, but it was obvious that they had all been boating together for years. They competently tied up, had a sundowner and fixed dinner together.

The Broughtons aren't a day cruise. They're probably 250 miles north of Seattle through some passages that have to be timed for current and weather. The example of these folks made us realize that we could still have adventures as we got older. They were one of the reasons that we bought our current boat. We're now in our mid sixties and hope to be boating for another 20 years. I have another friend that kept boating until his early 90's. Good luck, I hope you can make this happen.
Lyle

Met a guy last year that decided to buy a power boat. Seems he decided after his 92nd birthday it was just not fun anymore to maintain his 42' wooden sailboat by himself. He was also tired of sailing the South Pacific solo.

Depending upon your outlook on life, 90 is just getting started.

I would echo the thoughts others have expressed regarding minimal steps and no ladders or flybridge. Wide side decks, a helm door and a transom gate for easy access and movement around the boat. Boat maneuverability, protection from the weather, simple propulsion systems and ease of access can make trawler ownership more enjoyable than any sailboat you've ever owned.

Aside from the good input above, do you have a budget range. There are some single floor boats out there that might fit the bill.

Age is irrelevant to my way of thinking. Physical limitations are not. Nor are they always tied to age.

So the fact that you are 90-something has little to do with whether you should or shouldn't be boating. If you really want to do it, you should do it.

But it's important to approach boating sensibly, whenther one is 19 or 90. The previous comments about ladders, flying bridges, interior steps, wide decks, manhandling a boat at a dock are all things to consider. They are not reason not to get a boat, but they are guidelines for what kind of boat to get.

Only you can determine what you are capable of doing effectively and safely. If hauling a 30,000 pound cruiser up to a dock with a line is more than you think you want to have to tackle, no problem: don't buy a 30,000 pound cruiser.

If crawling around in a cramped engine room is not something you think you should be trying to do, either have the ability to pay somebody else to crawl around in a cramped engine room, or get a boat that doesn't require that. Maybe something powered by outboards or a boat with easy access to just one engine.

As to recommended makes and models, there are a zillion of them out there. Your sailing experience probably acquainted you with some of the more popular makes and models of powerboats.

A really nice boat layout can be found in the lobsterboat-style boats. Most commercial lobsterboats don't have flying bridges, and some of the recreational versions don't either. The cockpit and main cabin including the helm station is all on one level. There will be a few steps down to the berth and head compartments up forward, bu that's it.

The couple we boat with a lot have a 36' custom lobsterboat built on a commercial hull from Maine. Our boat, which is the same length, weighs 30,000 pounds. Their boat, I believe the owner told me, weighs 16,000 pounds. A lot easier to pull around with lines at the dock.

Emjoy the boat search. When you find the right boat, you'll know it.

First photo-- Commercial lobsterboat, Prince Edward Island, Canada
Second photo--- Our friends' custom lobsterboat.

Attachments

• lobster6.jpg
    lobster6.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Happy Destiny 1.jpg
    Happy Destiny 1.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Welcome
Do it while you still can!

Wheat - You've got the attitude I love! And, luck obviously is with you too!!

I don't believe you mentioned the range of capital your are willing to spend at onset for purchase and yearly thereafter to cover all levels of never ending ownership costs.

Also, what type of waters and what distances you seeking to cruise?

Lots of good input so far on this thread. I'd say to take all suggestions to heart/mind and then feel-out the boat for yourself regarding if you feel you will/can be comfortable owning and using it.

Best luck Captain!! Glad yo be getting to know ya via TF...

Happy Boat-Hunting Daze! - Art

RT - Funny post! :rofl: I do love my twins! :dance:

Last edited:
The biggest danger (at any advanced age) is an unexpected fall.

Steps and ladders are to be avoided .

Most boat assemblers do not install enough hand grabs for safe travel inside.

A wake , a wave , who knows.

This can be cured easily for few boat bucks.

Stand anywhere and see what you could easily grab , if there is nothing handy , install something.

Big cabins mean bigger distances to fall before hitting a bulkhead.

Big cabins mean bigger distances to fall before hitting a bulkhead.

FF. Outside of my posts, there was never a truer statement.

I was on an Endeavour 40 condo on keels (catamaran) heading across its massive 16 foot salon when a sudden turn in direction by the Captain sent me hurtling through the overly spacious-space. I picked up considerable speed trying to maintain my balance, and finally went head first over the spacious breakfast counter and down into the spacious galley walk area. My boat also has big spaces, but grab bars overhead.

Many thanks to all of you for your exceptionally well-thought-out suggestions and encouragement. Best regards, Wheatear.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom