Dauntless & Ireland Update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
18 October 2014

Just showered, after retying lines for half an hour. I now have 4 springs, 2 bow and 3 stern lines. It’s been windy last two days, as that big low in the North Atlantic finally moved NE. Winds are not that steady, in any minute they go from 5 to 35 knots. I’m guessing it’s a local thing and where I’m docked.:whistling:

Got back to Dauntless Thursday afternoon having been gone for 18 days, all was fine, meaning she was safe and secure, so that’s one less worry for this winter.:socool:

I thought I had sorted out my 220 volt charging issues, but alas it seems not to be.:facepalm: The smart charger I had was clearly too smart and decided to do nothing. Only yesterday did I go on line and discover that almost everyone who bought the same charger for about had the same issue. I should have just found a stupid charger that would put a steady 6 amps until unplugged. The Victron said only -480 amp-hours, but I don’t believe it. Voltage was down to 11.7 v and in the past 12v was an indication of about -450 amp-hours.:eek:

Clearly the fact that the only thing on were the fridge and freezer, I should have turned off fridge before I left and then no matter what all would have been ok. As it was the telltale on the temps for them told me that the freezer had gotten to 44°F, was currently 24, with a low when I left it at 02°F.

Luckily, I could tell that the freezer did not spend a lot of time above freezing since the frost that accumulates had fallen, but not melted. Good sign. I pretty much threw everything away anyway, figuring if we hadn’t eaten it in the last three months, it would probably never be eaten.:nonono:

I told you, I had enough provisions to feed an family in Africa for a year; an extended family. Oh, I didn’t tell you, I told the Krogenites.
I am writing that talk so it will appear sooner or later.

For those who care about numbers, I calculate that the fridge and freezer use at most 4 amps/hour on average for 24 hours, that’s 96 amp hours, but now I think it’s 3.0 amps. That would be 72 amp hours per day x 18 days = 1296 amp hours minus the solar panels. Now with full overhead sun they would produce 440 watts or 100 amps. Now, as we all know the sun is never overhead north of the tropic of Cancer and up here I expect for this time of year at best 40 amp hours per day. That would have put 720 amps hours back into the batteries leaving me a net of minus 570 amp hours and at 11.7 v with a total capacity of 980 amp hours, I think those numbers are reasonable, at least the final number are.

Yes, I know how bad it is to go below 50%. :nonono::nonono: I’ll add it to the list.:dance:

I was really stressed about it for a few days when I left, but at a certain point, one just should accept what will be will be. So while I understand that I may have to replace the batteries sooner because of it, I am also very fatalistic in believing that everything happens for a reason and if the batteries do need to get replaced sooner, it is probably for the best as I would avoid some other future battery related disaster and if no harm was done, then fine. In any case, once done, move on.

OK that’s it for now. And just so you all know. I spent that time redoing the lines because I figured that many of you would have really good advice for me and what I should do, so I tried to emulate what I thought you guys would tell me. The boat is bouncing around a lot less. I knew you guys would ask how many spring lines I had (only two before).:thumb:

So, thanks for the advice, even when you don’t give it. I’ve learned so much from this forum.:thumb::thumb:

Oh, speaking of forums, on Cruiser Forum there is a really good explanation of all the instruments a surveyor should be using on your boat to determine hull moisture. He really lays out how it’s impossible to rely on only one or two types of instruments.

18 October 2014

Just showered, after retying lines for half an hour. I now have 4 springs, 2 bow and 3 stern lines. It’s been windy last two days, as that big low in the North Atlantic finally moved NE. Winds are not that steady, in any minute they go from 5 to 35 knots. I’m guessing it’s a local thing and where I’m docked.:whistling:

I hope you're right Richard, but the weatherman here is saying the remnants of hurricane Gonzalo will be heading to a pub near you!! :eek:

You know that with this crowd your dock lines are too small, they are the wrong kind of rope and you don't have enough of them!

That should be enough lines considering the direction your pilot house windows slope and given your choice of ground tackle! :)

Thanks for the update! Make it over to The Three Shippes yet?

it all depends on if he backed in or headed into the slip.. and when he last changed the oil in his Lehman injection pump
And what grade of oil he used...
:socool:

HOLLYWOOD

You know that with this crowd your dock lines are too small, they are the wrong kind of rope and you don't have enough of them!

Even though it has taken me amonth to react; that is funny and to the point.:dance:

now, I'm am putting 220v into the boat, as only I can:eek: but don't worry, I'm not mixing them.

They closed the flood gates two days ago, now to get in and out I have to clamber over them.

Gates will reopen tommrrow.:dance:

it all depends on if he backed in or headed into the slip.. and when he last changed the oil in his Lehman injection pump
And what grade of oil he used...
:socool:

HOLLYWOOD

What grade? Grade A of course:dance::dance:

How about a stupid charger, on a timer, so it's not running all the time, but a few hours a day. Of course, for that to work you will need to add two more lines and three more fenders.

"I'm am putting 220v into the boat, as only I can"
I see a You Tube video in your future! Use a high speed camera to record the spark as it jumps around the cabin.

I am wondering about 50Hz vs. 60 Hz.

With an answer to that I think would also pursue an "only as I could" manner. An expensive gizmo to replace my learning how things work is just not my style.

I never start off knowing the answers, but my questions (and lots of luck) leads me where I want to go.

I do know it is whiskey to the west and whisky to the north.

That should be enough lines considering the direction your pilot house windows slope and given your choice of ground tackle! :)

Thanks for the update! Make it over to The Three Shippes yet?

I'm in the Three Shippes now.
Great place, good food, really nice owner, Pat.
Thanks for the reminder.

"I'm am putting 220v into the boat, as only I can"
I see a You Tube video in your future! Use a high speed camera to record the spark as it jumps around the cabin.

Hey, they have fuses in the male plugs. They work to, as I discovered.

I am wondering about 50Hz vs. 60 Hz.

With an answer to that I think would also pursue an "only as I could" manner. An expensive gizmo to replace my learning how things work is just not my style.

I never start off knowing the answers, but my questions (and lots of luck) leads me where I want to go.

I do know it is whiskey to the west and whisky to the north.

Yes. Basically the frequency won't matter on stupid things, like the water heater, but now a days, unless they were made for dual voltage and freq, like the vitrifrigo, things won't work correctly.

I have hot water, so I'm happy. I have also converted the three 110 lamps to 220 (by changing the bulbs).

The only thing left is my stereo, which I will replace with a double Din unit when I get back.

Then I'll be able to turn off the inverter until underway again.

I heard Euro stereos used even number decimals like 94.4 where stateside is odd, like 94.3?

I just use a car radio for main music. Cheap and very little draw on batts.

Look at the back of your stereo- Some allow a wide range of volts. If not, since draw is fairly low a 220/110 transformer should do. Probably does not care about hz.

Richard: What did you do for hot water? New water heater or element?

Irish isolation transformer, €68.00 good for 2kw.

Ireland had this rule that all power tools used on construction sites can not be more than 120 volts!

That means plenty of transformers, CE certified and built in EU. Umm, it only gets warm. Now, that's not as versatile as My Chinese transformer which can also fry eggs. :eek:

I heard Euro stereos used even number decimals like 94.4 where stateside is odd, like 94.3?

I just use a car radio for main music. Cheap and very little draw on batts.

Look at the back of your stereo- Some allow a wide range of volts. If not, since draw is fairly low a 220/110 transformer should do. Probably does not care about hz.

Actually the euro car radios change in increments of 0.05hz
Many Japanese radios sold in both markets have a selector switch on the back.

Yes, but having a 220v radio doesn't help that much, as when I'm anchored, I'd stl be stuck with using inverter.

Irish isolation transformer, €68.00 good for 2kw.

Ireland had this rule that all power tools used on construction sites can not be more than 120 volts!

That means plenty of transformers, CE certified and built in EU. Umm, it only gets warm. Now, that's not as versatile as My Chinese transformer which can also fry eggs. :eek:

That sounds like a good deal for the transformer but a crazy law for power tools.

I've been bit by 120 numerous times. Gives me a zing, unless wet. 220 might be a different story. Even our 240 is really two 120's relative to ground, so you only get 120 unless you go across both hots, which is not likely. I've been hit by 480v and that knocked me on my ass. Really that was 415, but still pretty hot.

Is Euro 220 two legs of 110, or one leg of 220? Guess I could google it...

So Euro 220 is three phase??? Delta does not apply to single/two phase, right?

Noooooo....

For 240 v

Ground
Zero
Phase

Zero is Grounded at the Energy Plant.

or

440 Vollts

R, S & T

Every house receives all three and works either on 3 phase 440 v or 1 phase 240 v

House instalations on to 240 Volts work on either R, S or T and Zero

Last edited:
Man, I'm confused. So Brasil has three phase going to houses? And when I queried about three phase in Euro power, the answer is "noooooo..."? So what is it?

Man, I'm confused. So Brasil has three phase going to houses? And when I queried about three phase in Euro power, the answer is "noooooo..."? So what is it?

In Ireland every house is on single phase, only commercial business' have three phase.

The system is a neutralised earth: ie the neural is grounded to earth.

The 3 phase is 440v, but of course can be be split into two separate single phase supplies.

Just want to say, we never had 110-120 volt in Europe so you don't find 2 phase 220-240 volt. My "Nooo" means to be carefull to wire correctly for the Phase and Zero.

In The Netherlands and Germany almost every house is wired 3 phase and the selection off the used phase by a single phase connection is made inside the house, this for the ease to balance the grid.

PS. In The Netherlands "babyphones" that transmit using the grid only works to every third house.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom