Bad Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
“Mr. Jones, this is the marina manager, I’m calling you to let you know your boat has sunk in her slip”.

Gives you a little chill.

I took the first pic a couple of months ago.
I took the next ones this morning.
I saw the boat last night around 9pm and it was fine.

Ironically, the Coast Guard had parked one of their barge boats the “Anvil” right behind the boat on the face dock last night. They called it into the marina office this morning and departed.

By this evening the owner still couldn’t raise it. It's probably stuck on the bottom. At real low tide there can be less than four feet of water there. It was the first time I’ve seen the owner at the boat in two years.

I kinda feel bad for the guy (and the boat). KJ

1429-albums131-picture1759.jpg

1429-albums131-picture1760.jpg

1429-albums131-picture1761.jpg

A phone call I hope to never receive. It is however a phone call my dad received many years ago on his 8 year old well maintained houseboat.

Never a good day.

... It is however a phone call my dad received many years ago on his 8 year old well maintained houseboat.

I'm going to assume you mean "about" or "regarding" and not "on". Otherwise it conjures up a strange picture of your father answering the phone while stuff is floating around him.

That is some nasty looking black water.
Hollywood

Is it just me or is that one nasty looking hull that was just waiting to sink?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Talk about a sick feeling.:nonono:

Clearly that was a project that should have been on the hard. Too bad, now it's junk and made a mess. In my marina on the Fremont cut in Seattle there are several scows that could sink any minute, don't get me started.

That's just sad to look at.

We had a wood hull boat sink on our dock last winter. The owner cried and I don't blame him. I would have too.

Yeah, they couldn’t budge it at all. When the tide came in they packed up and went home.

He’s hiring a professional company to raise it. He was given a preliminary estimate of a minimum of $6000.

That’s a lot more than the boat is worth.

You can see a lot of dry rot on the superstructure (when it’s above water).

AND -- he doesn’t have insurance, which is interesting because you have to show proof of valid insurance to be in the marina. Also interesting, the guy has never missed a slip payment.

A friend of the owner said that a guy had been on the boat last week saying he might be interested in buying it. He said he was a carpenter by trade. Hmmm. KJ

1429-albums131-picture1762.jpg

We had two sink at our marina last winter, and a third almost sunk except it was caught by a dockmate just in time. Every winter we seem to loose at least one due to lack of winterizing. One of the boats last winter didn't have insurance (despite it being a requirement at the marina). The owner claimed he winterized it by putting a bilge heater IN THE CABIN! I feel bad for the owners but one does need to take the proper precautions.

Ignorance or apathy.

Is either or both covered by insurance?

A long time contractor once told me his findings were that nearly 100% of all accidents had the same root cause.......Lack of awareness.

Well, they finally got it raised this afternoon. They had to bring in a crane. The owner’s friend said the bilge pump breakers had been switched off (?) and with all the rain we’ve had, the batteries got wet etc. etc.
I said it’s only rained here once in the last two weeks. I think water got in by the bow were there were some questionable planks/seams. You could see an area that was rotting pretty badly.

Anyway, the fella in the next slip said it was a real nice boat when it moved in six years ago. The owner just let it sit for a long time and after it started looking like crap he tried to restore it but after working on it every day for a year he just gave up and walked away from it. His son was going to try to start working on it again.

Hate to see a nice boat treated like that. KJ

ps between tow boat US, the diver and the crane/barge, the bill was over $10.000.

1429-albums131-picture1771.jpg

1429-albums131-picture1772.jpg

Wow, it's an Egg Harbor. I don't know anything at all about them except that they had/have a hell of a good reputation for the quality of their boats.

That would be a great boat to have if it was in good shape and kept under cover.

The Egg Harbor in post is not the same boat as the original post is it? Or they moved the F.B ladder looks better to access from the cockpit than the side anyway.

The Egg Harbor in post is not the same boat as the original post is it? Or they moved the F.B ladder looks better to access from the cockpit than the side anyway.

If it's not the same boat, it would appear to be the same make and model judging by the windows, curve of the flying bridge, etc.

Back
Top Bottom