Chesapeake Newbie w/antique vessel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starside

Vessel Name
Starside
Vessel Make
1930 Elco Marinette
Hello!
I'm new to this Forum and very happy to be here! I own a rare 1930 Elco on the Chesapeake Bay (West River) and am hoping to connect with others in the area - perhaps even convoy with other boaters to various marinas along the Bay. As a lone captain (who's a little green), I prefer to cruise with others around, at least until I get my sea legs.

Anyway, I know it's winter but wanted to say HEY and hopefully establish some cruising friends before Spring.
JD

Welcome to the forum. Maybe you could post a few pics of your boat.

Ted

Welcome to the list. We keep our GB down river from you on Glebe Creek, about 80 miles down river if you are berthed in DC. Hope to see you on the Potomac

Welcome ,we live for pics, let's see what she looks like.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Welcome to the list. We keep our GB down river from you on Glebe Creek, about 80 miles down river if you are berthed in DC. Hope to see you on the Potomac

I haven't cruised the Potomac yet, but look forward to it. My boat's in MD right now -- DC doesn't allow wooden boats for some reason, but I also needed a covered slip, so I'm on the West River...

I love the Grand Banks - a gorgeous boat. I hope to see her one day.
-joan

Welcome ,we live for pics, let's see what she looks like. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Well, since you asked...here's a pic of Starside at the dock...

She's a rare 1930 Elco Marinette 27'. I believe there are only 3 on the planet (really).

She's perfect for solo cruising, and yet she sleeps 4 and has a full galley and head. She's what's known as a "pocket cruiser." I've also kept her true to her age -- her systems are mostly original.

Attachments

• Starside02.jpg
    Starside02.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 132
Real pretty!

Welcome, Starside. That is a little sweetheart you have there.

I've also kept her true to her age -- her systems are mostly original.
Welcome aboard TF. I like your style.

She's a rare 1930 Elco Marinette 27'. I believe there are only 3 on the planet (really).

She's perfect for solo cruising, and yet she sleeps 4 and has a full galley and head. She's what's known as a "pocket cruiser." I've also kept her true to her age -- her systems are mostly original.

A boat like that makes me think of Leon Redbone.

Very nice. Is that at Hartge's?

-Chris

I thought it kinda looked like "new dock" at Chesapeake Yacht Club.

Either way, WELCOME TO TF!

Maybe we will see you on the water, I think we are moving our new boat (when we pull the trigger) to the West River.

Beautiful boat! We are on the Potomac, about 20 miles south of DC. Let us know if you ever decide to head up the river.

She is beautiful indeed , some well meaning advice

You do need a covered berth and probably a full boat cover as well. I doesn't take long to turn a old boat like this into a project from hell. If you stay on top of your varnish work" bright work" scuffing and recoating every 6 months or so it will remain manageable. If you let it go and and the varnish starts to fail, the boat will need to be stripped to bare wood and 8-12 coats of varnish will need to be applied. many of these old boats get ruined by amateurs who improperly sand wooden boats into wavy messes. If the varnish begins to show white areas around wood joints it's too late, you've waited too long. Classic boats such as yours are works of art and need to treated as such. 27' is a nice size to maintain, it's not overwhelming. I work on boats in an area where there are a lot of wooden classics, when they fall into disrepair they become unbelievable money pits. Many end up abandoned or cut up as the cost of repair is so prohibitive. Please don't take this as a scolding, you stated your new at this. Most first time wooden boat owners really can't understand the commitment wooden boats require. It's one of those things you have to live through to fully understand.

Thanks Scary. I know all about this. I got the boat about 2 years ago & also learned not to believe surveyors!

Seriously, I've dropped $70k on restoration & I have no intention of screwing her up. I am a Steward of this beauty & she is well cared for. And yes, I'm a novice boat owner, but I only wanted an antique to restore, but I will say the costs are double what I thought but I hope she's with me for the next 20+ years, as she brings me such joy. In other words, She's worth every cent.

If interested, I can post a few pics of her restoration.

For those who asked, YES I am at Hartge in a covered slip. She is also at the other Hartge boat yard across the street for her restoration. The latter yard is excellent with woodies!

Thank you all for this wonderful welcome! I know I'll be making a lot of friends on the Bay & beyond. I really appreciate the warm welcome.

Please do

Thanks Scary. I know all about this. I got the boat about 2 years ago & also learned not to believe surveyors!

Seriously, I've dropped $70k on restoration & I have no intention of screwing her up. I am a Steward of this beauty & she is well cared for. And yes, I'm a novice boat owner, but I only wanted an antique to restore, but I will say the costs are double what I thought but I hope she's with me for the next 20+ years, as she brings me such joy. In other words, She's worth every cent.

If interested, I can post a few pics of her restoration.
We like photos, and I like wood boats. I've just spent three days with a long board repairing wavy teak toe boards and cover boards on a mostly glass Gulfstar.

... She's what's known as a "pocket cruiser." I've also kept her true to her age -- her systems are mostly original.

What?! No radar? No AIS? No autopilot? No VHF radio? No GPS? No chartplotter? No depth finder? ... Oh the horror! ;) (Did without it all in the 60s and 80s.)

What?! No radar? No AIS? No autopilot? No VHF radio? No GPS? No chartplotter? No depth finder? ... Oh the horror! ;) (Did without it all in the 60s and 80s.)

Too funny! ;)

Actually, I just have a hand-held radio & GPS, but I prefer paper charting over the latter. I just find it easier for some reason...no distractions, I guess, although I also took the Power Squandron course, so they drilled it into me, but that's a good thing! :D

I can empathize with your pride and joy and feelings of stewardship (not to mention the drain on your bank account) in owning a classic. We did it for 23 years with our 40' 1939 "Gentleman's Sedan Cruiser" (doing most of the cosmetic and structural work ourselves) before passing her on to another steward.

Attachments

• ResIpsa.jpg
    ResIpsa.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 87
Welcome to TF Looks like a beautiful boat. We're based on Back River, & frequently visit South River (Harness Creek) & Rhode River. Hope to see you along the way.

I can empathize with your pride and joy and feelings of stewardship (not to mention the drain on your bank account) in owning a classic. We did it for 23 years with our 40' 1939 "Gentleman's Sedan Cruiser" (doing most of the cosmetic and structural work ourselves) before passing her on to another steward.

That's a beautiful boat! and you are giving me hope to keep going, despite her costs - 23 years is impressive, and I can only hope to do the same for Starside.

One reason why she's been so expensive is that I'm converting her to electric. Not a lot of people agree with my choice here, but I had to make my own decision, and since I'm a nature lover and bird watcher, it just made sense to convert her (to an Elco electric motor, of course). Keep in mind that the Chesapeake is the 2nd largest estuary on the planet, and the waterfowl that comes through the area in the winter is extraordinary. Having my little electric launch will allow me to really enjoy that aspect of the Bay that most don't get to see, but with an electric motor, I can cruise in any weather. But that cost was higher than I expected...but she's a sound boat, esp. with her new Monel fasteners and she's glassed below the waterline for added strength and longevity, so I think it's a good investment in the long-run.

Ahhhhhhhh, can you tell how proud I am of her? But I'm also anxious to get back in the water, but her conversion won't be completed until early next year.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I really take heart in that.
-joan

Welcome to TF Looks like a beautiful boat. We're based on Back River, & frequently visit South River (Harness Creek) & Rhode River. Hope to see you along the way.

I'm sure we'll see each other. I have yet to explore the Rhode's River, but I've been told it's really beautiful. For me, my maiden trip was from Galesville to St. Michaels and back - I crossed the bay twice, but coming back, I had 3' swells that at times got to 6' when a tankard crossed my path...needless to say, I felt like I was on a roller coaster ride, and it was that cruise that taught me that next year, I should probably hug the shore a little more & go marina hopping, instead of crossing the bay in a little 27' foot antique that can only go 7 knots! Oh, and I'm a single screw - I learned my rudder rocks me if I get slammed by a wave sideways. Just remembering that sent a shiver down my spine! :hide:

As you can see, that's why I prefer cruising with others around...not to mention I suck at docking, but I'm determined to get it right with lots of practice next year!

Not a lot of people agree with my choice here, but I had to make my own decision, and since I'm a nature lover and bird watcher, it just made sense to convert her (to an Elco electric motor, of course). Keep in mind that the Chesapeake is the 2nd largest estuary on the planet, and the waterfowl that comes through the area in the winter is extraordinary. Having my little electric launch will allow me to really enjoy that aspect of the Bay that most don't get to see, but with an electric motor, I can cruise in any weather.

I'm sure we'll see each other. I have yet to explore the Rhode's River, but I've been told it's really beautiful. For me, my maiden trip was from Galesville to St. Michaels and back - I crossed the bay twice, but coming back, I had 3' swells that at times got to 6' when a tankard crossed my path...needless to say, I felt like I was on a roller coaster ride, and it was that cruise that taught me that next year, I should probably hug the shore a little more & go marina hopping, instead of crossing the bay in a little 27' foot antique that can only go 7 knots!

What kind of range will you have after the conversion to electric propulsion? St. Michaels is approx. 23-25 NM from your dock...

Last time we anchored in the Rhode, we watched a small powerboat try to drive over High Island. Thought he might be using "local knowledge" on the line he was taking, but no... just didn't have a clue. It is a very pleasant anchorage, though. Sometimes with additional entertainment like that :)

Harness Creek on the South River is popular, partly because it's protected and partly because you can go ashore into Quiet Waters Park... assuming you can get from boat to dock :)

-Chris

The electric range is in hours. I should have 3-4 hours at 7 knots on good conditions. I think crossing the bay would be iffy - it took me 3.5 hours in my diesel so for her first year after the conversion I'll have to be careful. I'll prob get a generator but am waiting a year for that. I have to see her range first, plus I can't afford it this year. Still, I should be able to make the trip but will have to marina hop. My thought now is to go to Annapolis, then Kent Narrows or Piney Narrows, then to St Mikes. Gotta look at the chart & the NM but that's my present plan.

I'm very close to Rhodes River & will do a lot of local cruising next year. I need the practice!

The electric range is in hours. I should have 3-4 hours at 7 knots on good conditions. I think crossing the bay would be iffy - it took me 3.5 hours in my diesel so for her first year after the conversion I'll have to be careful. I'll prob get a generator but am waiting a year for that. I have to see her range first, plus I can't afford it this year. Still, I should be able to make the trip but will have to marina hop. My thought now is to go to Annapolis, then Kent Narrows or Piney Narrows, then to St Mikes. Gotta look at the chart & the NM but that's my present plan.

I'm very close to Rhodes River & will do a lot of local cruising next year. I need the practice!

Interesting. My guess is that the eventual generator will indeed open your horizons.

The leg from Annapolis to Kent Narrows (on that route) would be longer than going direct from the West River to Kent Narrows, no matter which direction you round Kent Island.

On the charts or ActiveCaptain, check out Kentmorr Marina and Queen Anne Marina (Kent Island). Might be you could hop to there first, thenmake it around to the Narrows. Then down to St. Michaels. We haven't ever been to Queen Anne. Kentmorr offers a very decent restaurant.

Another possibility might be Lowe's Wharf; that might be a marginally longer first leg...

Once you reach the top of Eastern Bay, it might be a toss-up about whether St. Michaels or the Narrows is closer.

You'll probably like the Rhode (no "s") as long as you mind the charts so you don't have problems with the submerged island :)

-Chris

With an electric boat, it would be good to time your passage carefully through Kent Narrows. There can be a mean tidal current in there.

We have stayed at Hartge's a couple of summers. When we move back to the Bay I am strongly considering it again.

Chris, that is very helpful. I haven't looked at the charts closely but I'm trying to make the trip to St Mikes in 2-hour intervals, so I was just looking at a regular map, I thought Annapolis to Kent but that clearly won't be right. I'll have to plan it carefully.

I want to check out Piney Narrows for their covered slips, so that might be another option.

This trip will be my big annual trip every year. So this local knowledge is wonderful. Thank you everyone!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom