Back up camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chester613

I have a Garmin 5212. It has a nice 12" display. Can I use that display with a back up camera? The standard back up camera is approx. $140. The Garmin GC 10 is $350. Anyone have experience installing a back up camera?
Thanx,
Chester

Chester,

I don't have a backup camera. If I were to get one it would have the feature of displaying a reverse image. The view would be like using a rear-view mirror or side mirrors in a car/truck. More intuitive.

I have the Raymarine CCTV camera connected to my 14" display and love it.
Really helps when backing out of the slip and I'm able to monitor the aft of my boat while underway.

I have Garmin 4210 chart plotters. I also have a backup camera and an engine room camera. My backup camera cost about $130 and works well. My camera is more of a rear view camera and not much good for backing up. One thing to know is that the camera only works on the Garmin chart plotter it is connected to. The video is not networked.

Remember if you have WIFI capabilities there are now numerous WIFI enabled cameras on the market. Pricing is in the $100 range (some lower). Only wiring is the power source, which often can be stolen from something else in the area as they draw next to nothing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

There is no need to use a dedicated display for a back up camera.

Many if not most boaters have a laptop onboard already. We have several Dlink cameras on our boat. These cameras range in price from $60 and about $175 for an outdoor camera.

Here's a photo I took just now of the cockpit on my boat which is happily winterized a hundred and fifty miles away.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 129
Any ideas what resolution, focal length and angle of view works best for a backup camera? There are lots of choices out there with many marketed for car use. I suspect the field of view of a car camera would be too tight for boating use. I'm thinking 120 degrees minimum, 720 dpi or better and 10m minimum range. Am I close?

I see that some cameras will connect thru wifi directly to an android device for viewing without the need for a network, although I have a wifi network aboard. I'd also like to be able to record one hour segments in a loop for recording fishing adventures. I'd guess there are apps that help make that happen on a tablet or laptop but I am unfamiliar with it all.

Do we have any experts out there?

There is no need to use a dedicated display for a back up camera.

Many if not most boaters have a laptop onboard already. We have several Dlink cameras on our boat. These cameras range in price from $60 and about $175 for an outdoor camera.

Here's a photo I took just now of the cockpit on my boat which is happily winterized a hundred and fifty miles away.

You forgot to mention that they are WIFI

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Does anyone have any comments or experience with consumer-style WiFi cameras as *backup* cameras? I tried using a WiFi GoPro I have as a backup camera but the WiFi delay made it a tad 'entertaining' to use. I understand that other WiFi cameras (dLink etc) may also have delays.

A few seconds delay is no issue for monitoring, but not what I am looking for in a backup camera. Any comments or insights from the group on this element alone - maybe from mbevins? (or anyone else!)

Does anyone have any comments or experience with consumer-style WiFi cameras as *backup* cameras? I tried using a WiFi GoPro I have as a backup camera but the WiFi delay made it a tad 'entertaining' to use. I understand that other WiFi cameras (dLink etc) may also have delays.

A few seconds delay is no issue for monitoring, but not what I am looking for in a backup camera. Any comments or insights from the group on this element alone - maybe from mbevins? (or anyone else!)

There is zero delay in the Dlink cameras I have used, when connected too the same network as the camera, and browsing to the cameras IP address.

There is a delay if you go through the Mydlink service, since the images have to travel to the dlink server and back to your display

WE use an auto style mirror.

Shows behind the vessel underway just fine .

To back up , my head swivels.

No wiring , almost no cost and really easy to troubleshoot.

On my boat the head is right behind the pilot station and blocks my view. I have a rear view mirror and I stick my head out the window. But, I do bump the poles on occasion. I tried a wireless camera, but I got it to work on my phone, not the Garmin. I think I need to use the video feed wire? I called tech support for the camera and they told me the WIFI connection was not a secure connection, therefore it doesn't work.

If you already have electronic engine controls, you might consider, as an alternative to a backup camera, installing additional controls in your cockpit (no need for a rudder or instruments).

Last edited:
I would run a Cat5e cable and use baluns.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom