Insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obthomas

Guru
Vessel Name
TheVenture
Vessel Make
1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
1985 Marine trader in great shape, would realistically sell for $80k, I am an experienced boater, live aboard, and have never filed a claim. Current insurance $300,000 liability and 80K hull premium is $2200 per year.

Seems I should be able to do better but can't get anyone including Boat US to get even close to my present premium. All quote $5000 per year or more. Is my 30 year old boat the problem? or is it that I am a live aboard? or what?:confused:

Yes, two problesms: old boat and you live in the hurricane belt.

Find a friendly yacht broker and ask him to run Soldboats for your boat. I would be surprised if a 30 year old boat was worth $80K. Since liablility is only about $500/year, and hull insurance premiums are sort of proportional to agreed insured value, maybe you can cut it to say $50K and save some money.

One question to ask yourself: if the boat is a total loss, do I want what I have invested in the boat back or what the market says it is worth. You are paying for the extra value.

David

Last edited:
I would message Pau Hana. He is an insurance broker, and he has been able to find good policies for me-- lower premiums than what you were quoted, and on more expensive boats.

I also live in the hurricane zone but I am not a liveaboard.

My boat would be roughly an equivalent to your's. It's 38 years old and I have Boat US insurance. My annual policy cost is $1000 and no insurance required surveys in 9 years now. :thumb:

I think the previous poster is right. The Caribbean, Gulf and South-East states are all higher risk for loss. It's where you live and if your insurance is $2200, you better hang on to it!! :facepalm:

Wow and I was complaining to the Admiral about our $1091 annual fee to the extorters....

OB, I just went through getting insurance in Seabrook. I got a quote from BoatUS, and then from a couple of local brokers. They came in much cheaper. Shoot me an email if you want their contact info.

It's where you live/store the boat:

Same boat, a Krogen 42:
Trinidad $2,800
Grenada $3,800
St. Lucia $4,800
Savannah, GA $2,200

Lots of good advice here (except for going thru another broker :D).

Lots of variables come into play regarding how a premium is calculated:

• Vessel year, make, and construction
  • Vessel value
  • Vessel usage (private pleasure/liveaboard/limited charter)
  • Fuel type
  • navigation area
  • where the boat is moored (x2 if your navigation area is in Hurricane Alley)
  • Vessel experience (ownership and operational)- what vessels have been owned/operated and for how long
  • Credit history
  • Marine loss history
  • The risk appetite of an insurer

Each company has its own underwriting criteria, so your quotes can vary widely.

BoatUS may not have an insurance survey requirement; I would be suspect as to how their policy reads with regards to partial and total loss situations. The agreed value/all risk companies we represent require a survey about every 5 years.

Our boat is $1300/year in Puget Sound waters; changing the navigation to Florida/Gulf full time changes the coverage to about $3k/year!

Back
Top Bottom