My boat wants to migrate south for winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
My boat wants to leave Alaska for places warmer.

Why...

A picture tells a thousand words. :confused:

This photo was taken just a few moments ago.
It's 18 out side, lake frozen for the winter.... It will melt in early may.

It's in the high 60's all along the California Coast.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Why not just buy a ice-breaker? :D
Sunny and 75 here in SFL.
:D:D

Been raining here none stop for the past 2 weeks, but mid-upper 50s. Heading your way next week for my grandson'r birthday. I understand your pain brother, the reason I winter south now or as far south as the PNW.

Yes, you understand completly!

I'm driving the admrial nuts!

Fortunately the end is in sight. Next hitch home we start our winter travel schedule. ��

I'm going to start a web site for Alaskans...

www.movesomewherewarm.com

Well crap! Work blocked me from your site saying it was a security risk! Feel your pain brother. Retire, then follow the sun south for winter. I will eventually want to go to southern Ca or Mexico for a winter....mmmm maybe even the delta, but you have to pay the bridge trolls before entering...

I took my boat south(Mexico) for 5 years and had a blast. However, I longed to be back in AK and brought it north in May/June. Variety is the spice of life. I highly recommend that when you come to a fork in the road you should take it.

I took my boat south(Mexico) for 5 years and had a blast. However, I longed to be back in AK and brought it north in May/June. Variety is the spice of life. I highly recommend that when you come to a fork in the road you should take it.

Question...

Did you leave your boat in Mexico, or were you onboard full time?

I still work, but being a sloper I have half my life off so could be anywhere.

We're in the middle of a terrible cold front - it is forecast to get down to 54F tonight. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

But, at least it's 75 and sunny now. We'll break out the parkas later.

Question...

To explain to those in the L48. Sloper mean north slope Alaska most work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, dark all winter, light all summer. bout right Kevin?

Question...

We live in a home in Nuevo Vallarta in the winter so I kept the boat in various marinas in Banderas Bay. Alaska Airlines flies here every day. Better start saving up the frequent flyer miles. I am a fountain of information if you want to fill in a few blanks.

Last edited:
Record lows forecast here, high 40's predicted low on Sun at sun-up, then back to highs of upper 70's on Tues.

Sorry, but it's is the time of year that we leave the A/C and enjoy outside for 6 months.

Found myself reaching for a sweater this morning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 87
The solution to all boater's problems, except the financial ones, is retire!!! Now why can't I afford my boat anymore??? Guess I need to sell the land pad.

I have the AC on. :>) ,but will turn it off and go open the windows later.

Have you always lived in Alaska or where before, Kevin?

For those who have long lived in such climates I guess they become somewhat use to them. Having never lived further north than North Carolina, we'd have extreme difficulty with it.

C'mon down, Kevin. We'll save you a slip.

Here's a shot from last week on the hook. Print and post on your wall for daily motivation.

img_280208_0_13ecc5128dcf80d2d90670b999286702.jpg

Have you always lived in Alaska or where before, Kevin?

For those who have long lived in such climates I guess they become somewhat use to them. Having never lived further north than North Carolina, we'd have extreme difficulty with it.

I moved to Alaska 24 years ago today with my 7 year old son.

I came here seeking adventure.

The dream was to buy a floatplane, and a cabin in the woods, shoot a bear and go salmon fishing.

I did all that and then some. Alaska has been good to me.

C'mon down, Kevin. We'll save you a slip.

Here's a shot from last week on the hook. Print and post on your wall for daily motivation.

img_280215_0_13ecc5128dcf80d2d90670b999286702.jpg

To be honest, the delta seems like an Alaskans kind of place. Away from the big city, and the big cities ways of thinking.

KS Worked the slope every winter,1970 till 2002. That was enough, retired at 52. Boating summers, RVing winters. Life is good.

I moved to Alaska 24 years ago today with my 7 year old son.

I came here seeking adventure.

The dream was to buy a floatplane, and a cabin in the woods, shoot a bear and go salmon fishing.

I did all that and then some. Alaska has been good to me.

Sounds like it worked out great for you.

Question...

Kev, you need to get your boat's butt over here to Queensland. Base her in the Whitsundays, and you would have the best of both worlds, and no ice - except in your Martini. Work where you normally do - then fly back to your boat in boating heaven.

Whitsundays Weather - Tourism Whitsundays QLD

Tourism Whitsundays, Queensland Australia, Whitsundays Holidays - Tourism Whitsundays QLD

Whitsunday Islands - Tourism Whitsundays QLD

Feel your pain. I wanted to be migrating South first of October. We are still working on my boat in the yard. Hoping to splash her in December and head South 1st of the year.

Ted

In some ways your right.

To be honest, the delta seems like an Alaskans kind of place. Away from the big city, and the big cities ways of thinking.
With the exception of Discovery Bay , there isn't a lot of bling. Mostly a mixture of laid back folks getting away from their hectic life style, enjoying the open space and the love of boating. The delta is on a much smaller scale than Alaska, your never more than a few miles from something, still because of the serpentine waterways you can get the feeling of isolation. The winter is much quieter, perhaps my favorite time. We used to get weeks of fog. We haven't been getting as much these last few years. The marinas are mostly smaller and more laid back, your not going to find many blue blazers , flag ceremonies, or cannons. It's a little redneck, but not really, there's a mixture of everything out here.

Well put, Scary. I find the delta filled with good, salt of the earth people who love boating and not so many yachty types that populate bay area yacht clubs and a few private delta islands.

In the delta, you usually don't have to go very for to find privacy. In the winter, it sometimes feels like I'm the only one on the water.

Scary and FW you are right on. The time I spent in the delta was great and it surprised me.

The only draw back? They won't let you in if you don't pay the trolls under the bridges!:D:angel:

My boat just told me she wants to go south, too!!

Back
Top Bottom