Island Packet PY Cruiser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I meant Island PACKET obviously......

island-packet-py41-NUM.jpg

Island Packet PY 41

Anyone seen one of these boats in person? Seems like an interesting boat-- good efficiency (although I'm not sure I believe the .5 GPH at 7 knots), decent living space, nice cockpit to keep out of the sun, and an interesting front "cockpit" if you want some sun. As I read the fine print on the GPH table the boat was very lightly loaded so I'm sure those numbers will be off when fully loaded. Wonder how much?

Supposedly class A ocean rated but not sure about that either. Looks like a good loop boat for sure, and the Bahamas I guess as well. Caribbean?

Found a 2008 for $160K with low hours, which seems like a good price to me, but I really have no idea. Another one is advertised for $279 in MD. What gives?

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to recall that the early models had some issue with the rudder performance. Something to look into if you are serious.

comparison

Thanks for the rudder heads up-- I will check on that. Any idea what the issue was? It's hard to find info on these boats because so few were built.

Comparing this boat to the boat Mark Richter converted and recently sold for around 80K, Winnie the Pooh, this Island Packet seems like a good deal.

I went to look at Mark's boat and really liked the setup, but it wasn't as "yacht quality" as my wife wanted. Mark's boat was very cool, and larger at 46', but this IP is pretty new (2008 year model with 500 hours), has similar good efficiency, and has better electronics and a bow thruster, and a second bedroom also.

Anyway, I guess I'm just trying to get a reality check before I fly off and look at some crazy boat again. :facepalm:

Last edited:
The PY Cruiser was the non sailing version of the SP Cruiser. The PY version is no longer made. But go to iphomeport.com and click on model info or model comparisons and get all the info you could ever want for the SP version which should be mostly the same. Or go to the factory website at SP Cruiser to look at the current model of the SP.

I did see one in Marathon a few years ago. The forward cockpit was interesting but mostly unusable IMO. Sort of like the forward settees in a walk through bow rider power boat. Nice for publicity pics and maybe ok for going slow through the hamburger stand, but otherwise???

Other than that quirk it has a fairly conventional trawler main cabin with galley down and a queen berth forward. The underbody is a little strange with a water line extending swim platform with the rudder well behind the transom, almost like a transom hung rudder.

The .5 GPH figure is definitely nuts, more like 3/4 to 1 gph at 7 kts. Loading won't make THAT much difference for a 23,000 lb boat.

If IP says it is A rated, then it is A rated. The PY like the SP has lots of ballast- 5,000 lbs, a deepish keel, and IP doesn't build a flimsy boat, so yes it could go as far offshore as its fuel tanks would allow.

I own a Mainship Pilot 34 and if you are happy going displacement speeds, the PY Cruiser is much more boat. With its somewhat limited fuel capacity I would say it would be a great LOOP, Bahamas or Caribbean boat. But don't plan to cross the Atlantic in one.

What they sell for is what they sell for, but a new one is probably near $400K (with mast and sails).

David

I went looking for info to back up my rudder comment, and so far have only found this article that gives some hint. I recall - vaguely - that they made changes to the rudder in later versions but haven't found anything specific yet.

Island Packet PY 41

I always liked the boat. It's a bit too tight for us (especially in maintenance spaces) but a nice boat that probably is self-righting. A bimini over the forward cockpit would make it more useful, but would impair forward vision from the helm (and it may look silly). The well that it makes would also collect a lot of water, whether intentional or not. A nice idea, but strange. If you like this style, check Menorquins also.

Island Packey PY Cruiser

Surely that forward cockpit has some kind of a drain? That would be a stupid design.

And I do like those Menorquin boats-- they remind me of the boats I've seen in Italy and Greece.

Question-- where does the dingy go on this boat? Mount it to the swim platform somehow? Looks like there is room on the roof but no way to get it up there I can see other than man-handling it. Hmmmm.

Last edited:
It's not the "PY" version, but I did make a video review of the SP Cruiser a few years ago for our TV show. If the interiors are the same, this should at least give you an idea of what they're like:

Island Packet SP Cruiser - YouTube

I'm a fan of Island Packet Yachts, but if I wanted a 41-foot trawler, I'd look for a boat that was originally designed as a motor vessel. I think you would find more interior volume and less exterior deck space designed to accommodate masts, booms, standing and running rigging. Just my 1.5 cents...

Thanks for the video-- that's a great overview of the boat. I realize the interior room is a little tight compared to most power yachts of similar length but I think it might work. This is not going to be a liveaboard.

I worked for the original IP dealer before starting my brokerage. IPs are extremely well built. Yes the boat is very small for her size. The pilothouse is small like a "Fisher". Yes there are cockpit drains.

Esse Quam Videri

Question-- where does the dingy go on this boat? Mount it to the swim platform somehow? Looks like there is room on the roof but no way to get it up there I can see other than man-handling it. Hmmmm.

Either Weaver davits on the swim platform or suspended on a some other stern davit system. Doesn't look like an insurmountable obstacle to me.

Nice looking boat once you get past that funny looking oversized bimini cover on the tall skinny stick :)

Well built

A well built boat with no room. The pilot house is very tight with vertical back seating for maybe four. The pilot seat is cramped. The forward cockpit is an interesting novelty, the drain could be plugged and it could double as a hot tub or bath. The interior is very sailboat like with a tight galley.I'm sure the hull is very efficient, they have been building very respected cruising sailboats for a long time that hold high resale value. if you like living in a sailboat you will feel right at home. Why not go with the sail boat and have a true HYbrid. Personally these boats miss the best features of a trawler, Salon windows with a view, enough beam to feel spacious, walk around bed, closet space, refrigerator that has doors instead of lids, comfort and access to mechanical components without disassembling the boat.

if I wanted a 41-foot trawler, I'd look for a boat that was originally designed as a motor vessel. I think you would find more interior volume and less exterior deck space designed to accommodate masts, booms, standing and running rigging. Just my 1.5 cents...

Well, it has plenty of deck space for solar panels in case one is a fan of alternative energy.

It's not the "PY" version, but I did make a video review of the SP Cruiser a few years ago for our TV show. If the interiors are the same, this should at least give you an idea of what they're like:

Island Packet SP Cruiser - YouTube

I'm a fan of Island Packet Yachts, but if I wanted a 41-foot trawler, I'd look for a boat that was originally designed as a motor vessel. I think you would find more interior volume and less exterior deck space designed to accommodate masts, booms, standing and running rigging. Just my 1.5 cents...

Darren, that is a great video. I like that boat.

I have always liked the IP's SP Cruiser too.
Motorsailers in general, make the most sense to me, as efficient, safe passage-makers.

Back
Top Bottom