Old 10-25-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
bligh
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekcrab View Post
Made the first oil change on our new to us 37 Albin Sundeck. Being a died in the wool DIY'er I Read the engine and gen set manuals, bought the filters, pre-measured measured the oil, had all tools, a willing neighbor to help and empty 5 gallon oil buckets for used oil. As with most first time jobs I started with simplest first. Changed oil in genset in no time. This is easy. Warmed up port engine, hooked up the ingenious oil pump system PO had made and started pumping. Sat back in hatch opening and told my neighbor helping me "this is a piece of cake". A few seconds later my neighbor asked "what is that black stuff on engine room floor?" OS. A hole in the 5 gallon bucket receiving spent oil. Panic. Hundred yard dash down dock to house to get trash can. About 3 quarts of oil In bilge. Two hour clean up and finally back at it. Removed old filter, put it in a bucket, installed new filter and started to refill engine with fresh oil. Neighbor holds funnel so I can pour pre-measured oil from 5 gallon bucket. Easy street again. Notice oil running down side of engine. Discovered you can pour more oil into funnel than can flow through block into oil pan. Hour clean up. With lessons learned from port engine we start on second engine. Use empty 5 gallon bucket from other engine to catch spent oil this time. Finally going well. Suddenly turn around in spacious engine room and discover I kicked over bucket containing oil filter from first engine. Another quart of oil in bilge In different location. Have to remove part of engine room floor this time. Three hour cleanup. Most good lessons are expensive. Fortunately This one only cost me an extra 6 hours. Nothing like the satisfaction I'd DIY.
Congratulations on your new boat. If we ever meet on the water, I'll come over to YOUR boat to visit.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote