Any Pilgrim 40 Owners out there

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alfton

Boat Bum
Vessel Name
Traveling Star
Vessel Make
Pilgrim 40
I own huricane IKE damaged 1985 hull #18 Previously name REVERIE, now named TRAVELING STAR.

I wish!!!!! Love those boats!

Are you still over at townhomes on South Shore??? We go by their a lot and I can't recall seeing your boat there as of late....

I am at Clear Lake Marine Center finishing up major exterior repairs, nine (9) weeks on the hard.* Will be back in my slip before the end of the month.*

Not having any idea what a Pilgim looked like, I went looking and found some for sale at Yachtworld.* OH MY!* What a classic style boat!* I can almost picture Humphrey Bogart at the wheel.

John, please post photos of yours.

-- Edited by Tonic on Thursday 7th of October 2010 06:19:46 PM

Attachments

• pilgrim40.jpg
    pilgrim40.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,193
We will give you a honk on the horn next time we go your slip.

a before shot and some progress shots

Attachments

• img_3336.jpg
    img_3336.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 251
  • img_3514.jpg
    img_3514.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 266
  • img_3518.jpg
    img_3518.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 249
  • img_8267.jpg
    img_8267.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 234
Wow....she looks great!!!! Keep us posted as she comes along!

She is back in her slip in Harbour Island. Lots of work yet to go, but she finally looks good

John,
Sure like that Pilgrim. Looks like it's 100% trawler to me. I see on the left side of one of your pics a Shannon 38' SRD. Thats a very interesting boat. I've never seen one in the flesh.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Tuesday 26th of October 2010 11:13:01 PM

I tried to find out what boat that was.** The yard workers did not know.* It has some kind of major problem with the running gear.* It has been out of the water six times this year.*

John,
SRD stands for "Shannon Reverse Deadrise". The aft section of the hull is a bit like a Hinckly sea sled. Like the "V" in the bottom is bass awkwards. The bottom of the hull goes down when heading tward the chines instead of up like a normal boat*** ...but only in the after end with the SRD. The fwd end is somewhere between a sailboat (Shannon is known for their excellent sailboats) and a lobsterboat. The idea or goal being that the SRD would have the sea kindly and soft riding characteristics of a sailboat/lobsterboat and be able to plane efficiently in the 15 to 18 knot range. I was ga ga over the design but I don't see them much*** ...actually I've never seen one but we frequently don't see the latest stuff up here in Alaska. I read in a PM article it did seem to be more efficient but when you'vec got a lot of lift aft and a pointy skinny bow one would think the bow would tend to burry itself. Sure liked the boat though.

Welcome to the TF, not many of us Pilgrim owners here.* Lots of good information here.*

Regards,

John

I am here, but generally keep a low profile.

Salty Dog (Hull #5 *or #7) *I think are you familiar with *http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pilgrim40/ ? hint, hint.

Dave

-- Edited by drf6 on Thursday 17th of March 2011 08:24:58 PM

-- Edited by drf6 on Thursday 17th of March 2011 08:28:30 PM

Dave I am familiar with it. It is however, not familiar with me. Twice I have jumped through the hoops to sign up, I have made a fairly long and detailed post regarding davits and have tried to return, only to be told I don't exist. I'm willing to try, if invited the third time, to sign up again.

Hull #5 - the 3rd built AFAIK.

I like the look of your mast and boom. Does it work as steadying sail and/or dingy lift? I really like the Gozzard designs that make use of things for multiple purposes.

Jim,

I see you got the Pilgrim group issue sorted out.* The third time must be a charm.

LIBERTY actually has an electric davit for the dingy, but if it fails you can easily use the mast and boom to launch the dingy.* There is a nice size winch mounted on the side of the mast and a*three part*topping lift rigged, all lines*being 3/8.

I will be making a new steadying sail soon, and see if I can squeak out a little more sail area than the current one.

Dave

Dave,

How does the steadying sail work regarding the roll? I talked with Ted and Mike Gozzard and they recommended saving the money on any roll control to use to enjoy the time in port instead of going out when Lake Michigan wants to be boss.

Cheaper and no effort is kind of appealing. :)

Jim,

The sail seems to dampen the roll a bit but*doesn't eliminate it.

I have given some thought to rolling chocks (bilge keels) and tried to get the lines drawings for the Pilgrim from Gozzard.* With that we could do some CFD (computational fluid dynamics) work and see what effect different designs would theoretically have.**It would be more of an academic exercise than anything else.* However,* Mike Gozzard hasn't seen the lines in quite a few years*but said that if he came across them he would send me a copy.

I haven't gotten the ambition to go out in the cold this winter to take the lines off using traditional methods.

A roll tank might be a good fit on the boat deck of a Pilgrim, but the cost to design one would be significant (and you need the non-existant lines drawings to begin).

We seem to have the "its a boat, and boats roll (and pitch)" attitude.

Roll, Roll you son of a b___h
The more you roll, the less you pitch
Pitch, Pitch god dam_ your soul
The more you pich the less you roll

Usually spoken when pushing a pinched-in-ends IOR vintage sailboat hard downwind, as you rolled both rails under.

Now that I think more about those days, trawlers in general hardly roll at all.

Dave

What waters do you regularly boat?

Lake Michigan for me. Lots of nice water, but if it starts to reach 4 ft. waves the chance of 14 ft. waves becomes real. It's the frequency and confused sea state that is the challenge. It is not unusual to be engaged with 3 waves at the same time. That makes things move. I have found up to 5 ft. following seas to be great for travel. Not so good from other directions.

One day (in 11 years) we had about 8 ft. well spaced glassy waves as remnants of a storm. The boat was kind of fun in that. Dealing with one wave/swell at a time was nice. Only lasted about an hour though.

-- Edited by SaltyDog on Saturday 19th of March 2011 08:45:00 AM

Our home port is Erie, PA, so we are Lake Erie boaters. *Square waves are the norm. *We have to go 40 miles east, west or north to get to the next port so we are fairly used to having to boat in less than ideal conditions. *SW to W winds have a 140 mile fetch, E winds a 100 mile fetch relative to our port. *The deepest point of Lake Erie is 210 feet, but the average depth of the lake is 62 feet deep.

We are looking forward to retirement in three years so we can go boating with out being on a schedule. *That should make cruising a bit more comfortable, especially since we plan on being live aboards and making the ICW and ports south our home during the winters.

Jealous of all you pilgram owners.* I like the look and pedigree of this design.

Often wondered about the way they handled rougher waters.* Now all this talk about 5' following seas and 8' waves, I have moved the Pilgram up my list for sure.

Not that I will be switching boats anytime soon, but if a more liveaboard situation becomes an option, the Pilgram40 is what I want.

Take care of your great boats, there are not too many of them around.

JohnP

Great to see and hear from all you Pilgrim 40 folks but how about the Pilgrim 43.....any owners out there? The 43 PLAY (Pilgrim Live Aboard Yacht) was designed by Gozzard as a "big brother" to the 40 and built in Mexico by a separate company headed by one of Gozzard's partners, Gary Ferguson. As far as I can tell there were only about 7 ever built. I personally looked at 3 before buying Salty Dawg. The other two (Al Baraca and Bayhouse) I told have also been sold recently.

I'd like to try and identify all current owners of the 43's so we can share stories, history etc so if any out there or any of you know of an owner, please respond.

Salty Dawg
Currently lying Ft Lauderdale area

Hi Pilgrim owners - I'm looking at a Pilgrim 40 and a Grand Banks sedan 36 - I'd sure appreciate your comments preferring one over the other...

Rolling... The bane of all true desplacement hulls. I'm thinking about adding paravanes.

One big difference between the Pilgrim & the GB 36 is that the Pilgrim has a full displacement hull while the GB has a semi-displacement hull with hard chines. Although the Pilgrim is a larger boat it will burn less fuel getting there. Although the GB has a shorter waterline length it can go faster than the GB it you throw enough horsepower at it. The Pilgrim will roll more though it will be a slower more comfortable roll. The GB will have more initial stability. Both have plum bows so they can be a wet ride but it sure gives them a classic look.

Welcome Hull #34 Firefly. Lots of information here on the forum

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom