Flag étiquette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings; Canadian Flag of 1inch of length for every foot of boat length flown from the stern.
Bow: Courtesy flag or Club burgee
Starboard shroud or spreader CPS Flag
Port shroud or speader: Sqn or district pennant
Masthead Private signal or officers Flag.
Use of anntenna for flags acceptable, but should follow the rules for Starboard and Port shroud.

If you vessel is registered flying the Canadian Flag is manditory. Provincial flags, navy ensigns or other flags should never be flown from a vessel when underway as you should never be under way with the ship "dressed". Bill.

Greetings,
I have read through both the USPS notes and the CPS notes. Thanks to those who provided them. IF I wish to fly my state flag, where should it go? To the best of MY interpretation, it should be on the port shroud/spreader. Correct?

Accepted etiquette is not to fly a state flag. However, it is frequently done along with provincial flags, Scottish flags, French region flags etc. Usually on the port side as the starboard side is primarily reserved for courtesy flags.

Greetings,
Mr. BP. "Accepted etiquette is not to fly a state flag." Strange that it is not mentioned in either publication but both mention the "cutesy" (NOT!) trash flags that one sees on occasion. What REALLY p*sses me off is pirate flags.
Thanks. So I guess, port side it is...

Greetings,
I have read through both the USPS notes and the CPS notes. Thanks to those who provided them. IF I wish to fly my state flag, where should it go? To the best of MY interpretation, it should be on the port shroud/spreader. Correct?

That's where this State-of-California-owned ship flies the state's flag.

img_277510_0_bbbd43dcbaed30d59654fc474d2af85a.jpg

Greetings,

Coerrct if you believe in flying a state flag which the Power Squadron does not...

United States Power Squadrons believes that a state flag should not be flown on a vessel unless the vessel is state owned (where the flag would be flown as a house flag or private signal)

6.03 If the Maryland flag is flown on motorboats:

While underway and at anchor - The U.S. Ensign should fly from the stern staff and the Maryland flag may be flown from the forestaff in lieu of a yacht club burgee.

Motorboats with auxiliary masts should follow the rules for sailboats.
sailboats as follows

While underway - sailing vessels with one mast should fly the U.S. Ensign at the stern staff, or two-thirds of the way up the leech of the mainsail (or at the top of the leech, if gaff-rigged). The Maryland flag should fly at the starboard spreader, or on the forward mast of a schooner.

Flag and Etiquette Committee Flag FAQ

Now if flying a state/provincial courtesy flag it should on the inward starboard spreader halyard:

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3B3%3A8%3Dot%3E2454%3D42%3B%3D66%3C%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B959943%3B%3B245ot1lsi

(Seems one needs three flag halyards under each spreader to keep up with the professionals.)

Last edited:
Hmm.... I've never been one to put much stock in flag etiquette these days. I guess there was a time when it was pretty important, particulary in military situations. But today, particularly with a recreational boat, I don't think it makes any difference what one does. I know the USCG doesn't care. We will occasionally fly the French flag in place of the US flag on our boat just for fun, and the USCG has passed us on patrol and not given our boat a second look.

Normally we fly the US flag from the peak of the boom (gaff). We fly our club burgee from the jackstaff at the bow. When we enter Canada we fly two courtesy flags on the starboard spreader halyard, the Maple Leaf on top and the older Red Ensign underneath it. That's just because I don't like the design of the Maple Leaf and do like the design of the Red Ensign. It's surprising how many people, when they walk past our boat in a place like the Nanaimo City Harbor, comment approvingly of our flying the "correct" Canadian flag (Red Ensign).

And when we've had guests from Europe on board during a trip into BC, we'll fly the flag of their country below the Canadian flag((s) on the starboard side. For one cruise we had, from the top down, the Maple Leaf, the Red Ensign, the Scottish, and the French flag.

We never fly anything from the port halyard because we have a radar reflector on the port mast stay that interfere's with anything we put on the halyard.

I know there are people who put a lot of stock into flying flags, pennants, and burgees according to the rules. It's important to them, and that's fine. But the reality is that you can do just about anything you want, including flying no flags at all, and from the recreational boat aspect, it's all just fine.

I think the digital age has pretty much rendered flags a thing of the past--- from virtually anywhere on the planet one can find out information about a vessel electronicially if one has the necessary communications gear on board. So I think flags have become little more than a quaint tradition as far as reality is concerned.

So my answer to the original poster is to fly whatever you want wherever you want. If you're into preserving the old rules, follow whatever guidelines are in Chapman's or a similar publication. But if you really llke the look of flying the US flag from the bow, go ahead and do it. You'll get a whole bunch of people telling you it's wrong, but you'll not get anyone actually doing anything about it, assuming you're not running a commercial operation.

>What REALLY p*sses me off is pirate flags.<

Nahh , We know those are a joke,

MY hassle is the DIVER DOWN flag ,( which demands respect and caution from just being hoisted ) 100% of the time , in a slip, at the fuel dock, and just cruising down the river.

As bad as tow trucks with emergency lights on , while out for a burger.

Greetings,

Sorry I misread...I think Maryland (my last post/link) and one other state has made it clear where they think it's appropriate...and it's starboard and if I flew it while in another country...obviously below the other courtesy flag...but that's where i think it get's weird so my bones say don't fly one at all like the USPS thinks.

I too think pirate flags just cry "wannabe"...not sure wannabe what buy something that just doesn't sit right with longtime boaters...

Greetings,
Mr. ps. Neither publication mentions state or provincial flags at all and that's what leads to my confusion. As mentioned, it only seems "acceptable" if the vessel is working for the state or province and at that point, flown on the port side. Why do THEY get to have all the fun?

Greetings,
Mr. ps. Neither publication mentions state or provincial flags at all and that's what leads to my confusion. As mentioned, it only seems "acceptable" if the vessel is working for the state or province and at that point, flown on the port side. Why do THEY get to have all the fun?

Not sure what you mean????...in my post above..... it is written that Maryland has come out and says starboard spreader...

The link to the USPS document has portions of Maryland code...it seems they have broken the ground for how to fly a state flag, "law", with even more teeth than US Flag Code....

Flags are still important even in this digital world. I note on post No. 10 that the ship has a pilot on board and has yet to pass customs inspection (B and Q flags). Also there are many places in the world that when entering a foreign harbor they will be looking for that Q flag before coming out to check you in. As far as the diver down flag is concerned be aware internationally that what we fly is not the accepted international signal for diver down.

We always fly "something" on the bow. As we are not loopers and don't belong to a yacht club, this may be "happy hour" or something similar, whatever the boss lady has decided on (I don't think we have a pirates flag but not sure). All I want is something to show me wind direction and approximate strength when coming in to a dock, anchorage or even when waiting on a bridge/lock.

For US flagged boats cruising in foreign waters be cautious with flying the US Yacht ensign. While this violation is accepted in the Bahamas and perhaps elsewhere I have seen boats boarded by the authorities in the Eastern Caribbean for flying the US Yacht Ensign (US flag with the stars replaced by a fowled anchor encircled by stars). And whatever you do, when in foreign waters, fly the Q flag or the host country's courtesy flag. Some authorities do not take the absence of their country's flag lightly.

Attachments

• 220px-United_States_yacht_flag.svg.png
    220px-United_States_yacht_flag.svg.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 302
We always fly "something" on the bow. As we are not loopers and don't belong to a yacht club, this may be "happy hour" or something similar, whatever the boss lady has decided on (I don't think we have a pirates flag but not sure). All I want is something to show me wind direction and approximate strength when coming in to a dock, anchorage or even when waiting on a bridge/lock.

On windless days, I rarely mount the bow flag (builder's flag displaying a Seahorse).

Last edited:
The CPS positions are not always correct.

The yacht club burgee should never be flown from the bow staff. That is a position of lesser importance, and should host the owners flag, provincial flag, builders group flag, but never the YC burgee. Even though clearly stated in my own YC yearbook, there are many (mostly smaller power vessels) in our YC that violate this rule.

The YC burgee should fly from the mainmast truck, on a head stick (1st), or on a power vessel, from a staff mounted above the pilot house.
On a sailing vessel, if not fitted with a head stick, the YC Burgee may be flown from the upper(if more than one set) Starboard spreader.

We fly our YC burgee at the bow, yacht ensign at the stern, San Diego Cruiser Association burgee from the radar arch, Blue Gavel burgee from the port side of the sundeck overhead and my Vice Commodore burgee from the starboard side.
P.S. Only on special occasions like Opening Day.

Attachments

• Catalina Trip 020 (1024x768).jpg
    Catalina Trip 020 (1024x768).jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 372
We always fly "something" on the bow. ....All I want is something to show me wind direction and approximate strength when coming in to a dock, anchorage or even when waiting on a bridge/lock.

That's the main reason we fly our yacht club burgee on the bow. Before we joined the club we flew a generic blue pennant with a white star on it that we found somewhere.

We have an "owner's" flag that my wife made but it's a good-size rectangle and is far too large to fly from the bow. The club burgee is the perfect size.

Its not right , but our bow flag is a US Navy commissioning pennant.

Its what Naval ships use for dressing up.

The stars on a blue field , no stripes.And normally carried at the bow

Since it was a US navy boat , carried on a ship, I figure its close enough.

The bow staff is a GRP antenna top , sized so if it fits under a bridge , the boat will.

I fly the U.S. flag at the stern, yacht club burgee on the bow and at the top of my sunroom, I fly my Alaska State flag at times.

Last edited by a moderator:
FF: The flag you are describing is the former U.S. Navy "jack flag". The present one adopted post 9/11 is the "Don't tread on me" snake. Typically flown on the bow. Most former British Colonies incorporate a quadrant type style with the upper left portion of the flag referred to as the "jack", ours of course has the stars on a blue background.

"Don't tread on me"

The Gadsden flag

Is on a decal P&S just after the name on the bow.

Hmm.... I've never been one to put much stock in flag etiquette these days. I guess there was a time when it was pretty important, particulary in military situations. But today, particularly with a recreational boat, I don't think it makes any difference what one does. I know the USCG doesn't care. We will occasionally fly the French flag in place of the US flag on our boat just for fun, and the USCG has passed us on patrol and not given our boat a second look.

<snip>

So my answer to the original poster is to fly whatever you want wherever you want. If you're into preserving the old rules, follow whatever guidelines are in Chapman's or a similar publication. But if you really llke the look of flying the US flag from the bow, go ahead and do it. You'll get a whole bunch of people telling you it's wrong, but you'll not get anyone actually doing anything about it, assuming you're not running a commercial operation.

Nailed it!

Attachments

• Nailed IT.jpg
    Nailed IT.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 119
FF: I am sorry, I should have been more specific in my last post. Yes, the Gadsden flag had the original "Don't tread on me" with snake coiled on a yellow background. A great bit of history to that flag. The new (post 9/11) naval jack flag incorporates the snake and motto but on a striped field rather than the yellow background.
The original post asked for assistance in "flag etiquette" which still exists. There are also some rules and laws associated with flags especially when entering foreign ports and internationally. I think most of that has been covered fairly well.
Etiquette like manners can or cannot be used. True, no one will usually challenge you if you fail to comply with those adopted standards on your private vessel, likewise no one will probably challenge you if you wear a party hat to a funeral or use the wrong spoon at a diner party. Good manners and etiquette are more a sign of character In my opinion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom